James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

7 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

Same. Last summer I would have been over the moon but now I don't care in the slightest if he comes or not. I'd rather go for Szoboszlai

There’s absolutely no guarantee we get either of them tbh, and I don’t think we will. Gonna be a couple under the radar i think 

I don't understand the indifference.

Arguably our biggest weakness last season was breaking down stubborn defences. At times it was due to a lack of quality on the ball, at times it was due to a lack of goalscorers in the side, Maddison is both.

I get the handsome foreigner could have a higher potential ceiling, but he also has a bigger downside too. Maddison has provided consistent goal contributions in that PL for a few years now.

If both sides are still at the table, it means his representatives are giving both the come on. If we don't get him so be it, I'm sure we'll have a very good alternative lined up.

I'll be delighted if we get him, and to see how EH uses him.

Saying that, I've said from day one, I'm not sure he fits our style of play and his attitude still feels a little in question.

From the odd video I've seen of Szob, I'd say his physicality, attitude, and flexibility suit us better - I'd go there!

Be interesting to see how it all pans out. I trust those in charge to come out with the right decision.

I’ve been watching other comments elsewhere and viewing the pictures of Maddison hanging out with agents Wilson and Tripps. But it strikes me Kane will also have his ear about Spurtz. I can only hope that Maddison won’t be coerced by a player who doesn’t know whether he’s staying there or not. 

If he comes I'll welcome the move and think it's a good signing that will improve us, but I was far more invested last summer because it would have felt a massive coup for where we were, like clearly signing a player well above our station at that particular time, but now it feels more 'normal', so it's a lot less exciting.

I'd also prefer a marquee signing be in the 21-23 year old range who could grow with us, be here for years, or possibly move on in 3 or 4 years if either they outgrow us, or vice versa, that generally won't happen with someone who is 27 in a few months - this is pretty much his last big move, so it's a massive decision for him.

Edited by Paullow

1 hour ago, Haz said:

I’ve been watching other comments elsewhere and viewing the pictures of Maddison hanging out with agents Wilson and Tripps. But it strikes me Kane will also have his ear about Spurtz. I can only hope that Maddison won’t be coerced by a player who doesn’t know whether he’s staying there or not. 

have you heard Kane talk? You’d be asleep before he can say ‘you should join me at Spurs’

Ok I’ve decided what I really want. If 70m was the budget for Szobolai or 50m for Maddison I’d rather get Maddison for 50m PLUS Arda Guler for 20m. 

Szobolai is good and all that but that’s a way better deal and gives us more ‘door openers’ for the same budget

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It's been said before but he's about the most sure thing we could get to rectify probably our biggest weakness. As much as that Hungarian lad looks potentially amazing, I'd much prefer Maddison.

He'd be our Bernado Silva.

Bernardo Silva works his bollocks off though as well as being a brilliant player. Maddison is probably below average off the ball and weak in 50/50s IMO. I think if we signed him he’ll have some improving to do.

I'd take either. Maddison guarantees goals & assists at PL level, helps mend one of our achilles heels in breaking down deep sitting defences and (assuming the preferring Spurs story is just more transfer press bollocks) clearly fits the character mould that the club have been looking for over the previous 3 windows.

Szoboszlai is 4 years younger than Maddison, looks stronger physically and must have his wits about him in terms of his character given he's captain of his national team. The unknown, bringing a player in from abroad, more often than not excites me for whatever reason more than a PL buy. However attacking players coming in from the Bundesliga haven't always translated well to the PL in recent years, though I have no qualms about Howe integrating him here just as he has with Bruno, Botman and Isak.

Whatever happens happens. Fully trust those at the club (within reason, a huge no to the likes of McTominay and Gallagher from me). Learned from flapping last summer regarding our striker chase before ending up with Isak.

10 hours ago, McCormick said:

Don’t  see why people are surprised that Tottenham are still considered a more attractive proposition than we are (black and white bias aside)

I find those fans who consider ourselves a better option for any player over Spurs quite baffling really and bordering on stupidity when all we have over them right now is one better season and a better manager.

As we should know most, that can all change over night. All Spurs have ever lacked really since Poch left is a good manager who also happens to be the right manager. They’ve had good managers, but neither Mourinho or Conte were ever the right man and their new man may not be either. But if he turns out to be, as we’ve found out with our own Eddie Howe, all that will change. 

They have everything else going for them and a lot of things we don’t have ourselves right now. They arguably have the best stadium in the world, over a decade + strong European pedigree with a few Champions League campaigns thrown in including reaching the final itself recently and have been one of the top 6 sides in the division in that period.

They arguably have the best all-round centre-forward in the world right now in Harry Kane who will likely stay and who along with Son despite being off form last season and like Kane not getting any younger, as a pair they form a deadly front two any player would love to play alongside, especially one like Maddison who creates so much.

They also have the core of a good strong squad throughout, an academy and training ground way better than our own and as ambitious as we now are, let’s not kid ourselves they aren’t just as ambitious because they are.

They’ve spent fortunes in the past and will continue to do so and because of their huge revenue streams and commercial power can pay players a bigger wage than we can currently. There is also the London factor too.

Again the only thing that sets us apart on the pitch is our manager and that we had a better season than them which was close thing between the two prior to our 6-1 thrashing of them. At that stage we were both in the same race for Europe.

if their new man is backed and shows himself to be the right man, they will be back right up there with us and may even be better positioned to regain their. place back in the top 6 which will be less tougher for them without any European distractions.

If I’m a Maddison I’d be right up for a move to Newcastle United, but likewise a move to Spurs would be just as and maybe even more appealing to the likes of him so let’s not kid ourselves just because of our stellar season we are suddenly the big draw all of a sudden when in reality we still have a long way to go and as quickly as things have changed massively for the better where we are now in the conversation for top top players, so too are Spurs and always will be, like ourselves, as long as they are ambitious and have what we have in Howe, a top manager who happens to be the right manager for them.

It won’t take much to turn things around at Spurs, not with their stadium, finances, ambition and Kane banging them in for fun. But, but… we have Bruno in the middle!

Lets face it without the takeover, we’d be lucky just to have Hayden starting for us next season man and only then because we’d be lucky to see him fit!

31 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Maddison guarantees goals & assists at PL level, helps mend one of our achilles heels in breaking down deep sitting defences

Once he’s off pens, free kicks how many goals would you think he’d guarantee out of interest?

I’ll admit I’ve not seen every Leicester game he’s played in but the ones I have his assists seem to be threaded progressive passes on counterattacks. Hearing this a lot so not just you about him being the answer to breaking down deep sitting defences but I’ve never seen it. Not sure I’ve seen many teams feel the need to sit deep against Leicester.

59 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Once he’s off pens, free kicks how many goals would you think he’d guarantee out of interest?

I’ll admit I’ve not seen every Leicester game he’s played in but the ones I have his assists seem to be threaded progressive passes on counterattacks. Hearing this a lot so not just you about him being the answer to breaking down deep sitting defences but I’ve never seen it. Not sure I’ve seen many teams feel the need to sit deep against Leicester.

This was an interesting point to raise, and after consulting understat, he got 7 in open play last year, with 40 of his 69 chances created in open play.

6 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

Ok I’ve decided what I really want. If 70m was the budget for Szobolai or 50m for Maddison I’d rather get Maddison for 50m PLUS Arda Guler for 20m. 

Szobolai is good and all that but that’s a way better deal and gives us more ‘door openers’ for the same budget

I think Szob is 70m euros, so 59m pounds. Ive seen rumours that his release clause is only valid until the 15th or the 1st. I dont know if that means they would want more or less. 

Maddison at 50m is funny to me. He's got one year left on his deal. Relegated side. He's got all the leverage, they cant hold out for 50. He will just end up skipping training if nobody is willing to pay that and they will have to sell him late with no time to gel in a replacement. 

Guler I've read is 17m euros. We can buy 2 of these 3 and still have tons of money to cover LB, CB, CM and 3rd choice CF. Just means we will have to spend 20-30 on each of the remaining positions and maybe look at loans/free players or bargains for some spots. 

I'd be fine with us getting a cheap 3rd CF or one on loan as an emergency or rotation player for Wilson/Isak. Even a youngster for the cup matches or a cameo to get the starters some rest in games where we are ahead.

I'd be fine with a normal 3rd or 4th choice CB behind Sven and Fabian, maybe even behind Burn. Just to keep Lascelles as 5th option minimum. Even a 15m CB with some experience would be fine. 

I think LB and CM would be big for us if we spend 70-80m combined on an attacking mid and a wide player.

Cant start next season with Burn at LB. Also dont want Longstaff to play as many games next season. I love him as a depth CM but not starting every game. Would like potentially two CMs (one of them being the attacking mid mentioned above Szob or Maddison) to really challenge Longstaff and Willock. Another would need to be a workhorse with some skill on the ball. Thuram would be nice. The Viega kid looks good. Kone would be a dream.

Guler - 20m

Szob/Maddison level attacking mid- 50m

3rd/4th CB option - 15m

LB to bench Burn - 20-30m

CM to bench Longstaff - 30-40m.

Depth/emergency CF - Free/Loaned veteran/Cheap youngster under 10m

Maybe these numbers bump a bit if we can move some of the dead wood on for ANY money at all.

130-140m seems reasonable 

Wilson
                                                    Isak
Isak                                 Anyone decent                                  Guler
Gordon                                                                                Almiron 
ASM                                                                              Murphy/ASM

Maddison or Szob
                                                 Willock         

Bruno  and  Jow
                          Viega or Nmecha        Longstaff
                                                  Anderson

Tierney(?)                     Botman           Schar              Trippier      
Targett                          Burn               Schuurs          Ashby/Krafth?

Pope
                                                Dubravka?
                                                   Karius

Would any of you be underwhelmed going into the season with this as our depth chart?

Sorry in advance for the crackheaded format lol

Edited by Sufi

1 hour ago, Sufi said:

I think Szob is 70m euros, so 59m pounds. Ive seen rumours that his release clause is only valid until the 15th or the 1st. I dont know if that means they would want more or less. 

Maddison at 50m is funny to me. He's got one year left on his deal. Relegated side. He's got all the leverage, they cant hold out for 50. He will just end up skipping training if nobody is willing to pay that and they will have to sell him late with no time to gel in a replacement. 

Guler I've read is 17m euros. We can buy 2 of these 3 and still have tons of money to cover LB, CB, CM and 3rd choice CF. Just means we will have to spend 20-30 on each of the remaining positions and maybe look at loans/free players or bargains for some spots. 

I'd be fine with us getting a cheap 3rd CF or one on loan as an emergency or rotation player for Wilson/Isak. Even a youngster for the cup matches or a cameo to get the starters some rest in games where we are ahead.

I'd be fine with a normal 3rd or 4th choice CB behind Sven and Fabian, maybe even behind Burn. Just to keep Lascelles as 5th option minimum. Even a 15m CB with some experience would be fine. 

I think LB and CM would be big for us if we spend 70-80m combined on an attacking mid and a wide player.

Cant start next season with Burn at LB. Also dont want Longstaff to play as many games next season. I love him as a depth CM but not starting every game. Would like potentially two CMs (one of them being the attacking mid mentioned above Szob or Maddison) to really challenge Longstaff and Willock. Another would need to be a workhorse with some skill on the ball. Thuram would be nice. The Viega kid looks good. Kone would be a dream.

Guler - 20m

Szob/Maddison level attacking mid- 50m

3rd/4th CB option - 15m

LB to bench Burn - 20-30m

CM to bench Longstaff - 30-40m.

Depth/emergency CF - Free/Loaned veteran/Cheap youngster under 10m

Maybe these numbers bump a bit if we can move some of the dead wood on for ANY money at all.

130-140m seems reasonable 

Wilson
                                                    Isak
Isak                                 Anyone decent                                  Guler
Gordon                                                                                Almiron 
ASM                                                                              Murphy/ASM

Maddison or Szob
                                                 Willock         

Bruno  and  Jow
                          Viega or Nmecha        Longstaff
                                                  Anderson

Tierney(?)                     Botman           Schar              Trippier      
Targett                          Burn               Schuurs          Ashby/Krafth?

Pope
                                                Dubravka?
                                                   Karius

Would any of you be underwhelmed going into the season with this as our depth chart?

Sorry in advance for the crackheaded format lol

Tldr, Stfu Sufi.