James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, STM said:

Virtually the same panic set in during January. The difference here is that we have been working on deals for weeks AND still have a month left. We ended up with Burn, Targett and Bruno. I'd be happy with the equivalent of those 3 in the attacking areas.

I think we need more like Trippier and Bruno than Burn and Targett.  Though I love all of them.

Guest reefatoon
30 minutes ago, STM said:

Hope actually talked alot of sense. Said that Maddison doesn't fit our formation so either we change formation or play him RW, which isn't his best position.

He also said it would effectively rule out us signing a striker, although I suspect he was second guessing about that.

Im sure Howe knows what he wants to do with Maddison more than Hope does.

I still think we are being difficult and lowballing for a reason. Also that this FFP chatter is a disguise to some degree. We don’t want to do exactly what the world thought we would do. Spend money like there’s no tomorrow. If we gave in and just paid up without too many second thoughts then we would get our pants pulled down even more, time after time and then again. There’s been so much talk of richness and spending obscene amounts. I don’t think we will spend insanely ridiculous amounts of money, neither could we really. This is the biggest reason deals are taking so long imo. We have to set the tone early on, to let people know that we aren’t gonna do it quite the way everyone or most thought. Feed the dog a massive beef a few times and it won’t be happy with a tiny sausage after a while. Is it frustrating? Yes to a degree. However I also think the people in charge know exactly what they plan to do to make it work both short term and long term. You can already read and hear whispers about people saying “oh they aren’t doing what I thought, they are doing it in a very sensible way so far.  I don’t wish to make it sound like a proper conspiracy theory which it might to some. To me it’s business basics. Whether you are buying a car or a house. And I know basically fuck all regarding these things. I genuinely believe that the club feeds media exactly what they wish everyone to hear. 

33 minutes ago, STM said:

Hope actually talked alot of sense. Said that Maddison doesn't fit our formation so either we change formation or play him RW, which isn't his best position.

He also said it would effectively rule out us signing a striker, although I suspect he was second guessing about that.

He'd likely operate in the right half space, with Trippier and right sided CM offering the width in attack. He'd fit in there in the 4-3-3. On the team sheet, it’d say he's playing RW, but he’d be operating more centrally in the transition.

The journos pretty much know as much as the club wants them too. They don't have the inside track unless the club want them too. Wouldn't surprise me to see us still bid big for someone young like Sesko if they are available as well as Maddison. The market is likely changing daily and will get crazier as we get close to the end of the window. We will act if there is someone that improves us at a decent price. 

Just now, Gallowgate Toon said:

Didn't Hope tweet yesterday that we were gunning for a Maddison deal this week and we were pressing on hard?

I honestly don't know why anyone takes much notice of the local journalists for. They get far far more wrong than they get right. Not a chance the owners will be discussing budgets or transfers with any of them. Pure clickbait guesswork has been the order in both the January and this Summer's window. I'll just wait until September 1st and take stock then.

are we forgetting Downie, Graves, caulkin & hope were all in jesmond dene house with Staveley and co before any news of the takeover broke. They obviously have sources within the regime. I think people don’t want to listen because it’s not what they want to hear and it doesn’t tally up with their view of things. I’ll keep an open mind but as someone said hope was spot on with the lawyer appointment and the Carrick brother appointment why wouldn’t he know about transfers. 

if Hope said on the radio we were tabling a £60m bid tomorrow very few would be saying he knows fuck all 

Edited by gdm

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, gdm said:

are we forgetting Downie, Graves, caulkin & hope were all in jesmond dene house with Staveley and co before any news of the takeover broke. They obviously have sources within the regime. I think people don’t want to listen because it’s not what they want to hear and it doesn’t tally up with their view of things. I’ll keep an open mind but as someone said hope was spot on with the lawyer appointment and the Carrick brother appointment why wouldn’t he know about transfers. 

if Hope said on the radio we were tabling a £60m bid tomorrow very few would be saying he knows fuck all 

That was then, this is now, and it was a pro takeover press release deal.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

are we forgetting Downie, Graves, caulkin & hope were all in jesmond dene house with Staveley and co before any news of the takeover broke. They obviously have sources within the regime. I think people don’t want to listen because it’s not what they want to hear and it doesn’t tally up with their view of things. I’ll keep an open mind but as someone said hope was spot on with the lawyer appointment and the Carrick brother appointment why wouldn’t he know about transfers 

They'll be tactical about what they leak. I know we have different theories about the budget, etc, but I I can't get my head around why anyone in the consortium would leak our actual budget.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He tweeted that yesterday. So he's apparently been made aware of this 40m budget within the last 24 hours.

He’s been saying £40m left since botman signed