James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

37 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Their Journos are saying that “senior sources” have made it clear that he is not for sale. For whatever that’s worth. Probably nothing.

Don’t see this one going through at all. We won’t go anywhere near what they’re looking for unfortunately.

Depends if senior sources are Brendan Rogers or an actual executive 

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not quite comparable tbh, 50 million for a left back and 60 for one of the best midfielders in the country are quite different. 

Plenty more examples with City. See Ronaldo last summer.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I can believe them when they say a bid has went in or has been rejected, but I don't see how Hope would have any idea about any 'budget', or how much we value a player.

It seems pretty unlikely those things would be properly discussed with anyone outside of the club's transfer circle.

I’m with you but all of the journos seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet re: our budget. Might be a coincidence, might not be but the narrative that they “know fuck all” only seems to get trotted out when news is negative.

We have to be aiming for 7th or 8th as a club, surely? Too many of the players have talked about qualifying for Europe for that not to be the target, even Howe almost let it slip in one interview.

I think 10th is the absolute minimum based on last season. We’ve got a full season with Howe and the January signings, that’s going to make more of a difference to us than signing Maddison will.

5th sounds crackers, though, even if stranger things have happened. The top few teams just look far too strong.

Sources at the club are never going to leak to journos we have say 80m budget left right now, when they're trying to get the best possible deal for Maddison. Would be a terrible way to negotiate imagine Leicester seeing reports our budget is 80m and we won't budge from 40 [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’m with you but all of the journos seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet re: our budget. Might be a coincidence, might not be but the narrative that they “know fuck all” only seems to get trotted out when news is negative.

Aye I doubt the likes of Hope are just making stuff up. If we go in for Maddison again he looks stupid, he's obviously going off of something. It all just seems weird.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Still reckon we’ll go back with a third and final offer. They’ve either made this public to try and flush out more interest or it’s the agent doing similar. If it’s Leicester, they’re clearly open to a deal.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

We have to be aiming for 7th or 8th as a club, surely? Too many of the players have talked about qualifying for Europe for that not to be the target, even Howe almost let it slip in one interview.

I think 10th is the absolute minimum based on last season. We’ve got a full season with Howe and the January signings, that’s going to make more of a difference to us than signing Maddison will.

5th sounds crackers, though, even if stranger things have happened. The top few teams just look far too strong.

Still plenty of time to go in the window but we really do lack goals I feel. We learnt heavily on set pieces last season and we haven’t improved our goal out put as of yet. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Still plenty of time to go in the window but we really do lack goals I feel. We learnt heavily on set pieces last season and we haven’t improved our goal out put as of yet. 

It basically relies on Wilson staying fit right now, but there’s no way we don’t add more goals before the window shuts.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Still reckon we’ll go back with a third and final offer. They’ve either made this public to try and flush out more interest or it’s the agent doing similar. If it’s Leicester, they’re clearly open to a deal.

I’d be staggered if we didn’t. You never go all in on your second offer. We’ll have an upper limit and move incrementally towards it 

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Totally agree. I’m sure internally we’ve set high targets for ourselves but we’re discussing where we (as fans) think we might finish. Personally, I think we’ll have done pretty well to finish 8th.

Also, as others have mentioned the clubs which we intend to be competing with have also strengthened so it will be interesting!

Either way we should go in to the season feeling positive, we can finally look forward and not backwards and that is huge  

Rome wasn’t built in a day and our rivals in the league will do anything they can to halt our progress. Incumbents hate being disrupted. 

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Totally agree about aiming for 7th or 8th.

I just don’t think it’s going to be achievable without a couple more in like Maddison and another striker 

Just now, Rich said:

It basically relies on Wilson staying fit right now, but there’s no way we don’t add more goals before the window shuts.

Same was said in january. 

Having said that, I think we will add goals before this window closes. It must be done this time! 

10 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Totally agree. I’m sure internally we’ve set high targets for ourselves but we’re discussing where we (as fans) think we might finish. Personally, I think we’ll have done pretty well to finish 8th.

I think we have to can't see Bruno staying for more than 2 years without European football. 

2 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

I think we have to can't see Bruno staying for more than 2 years without European football. 

He seems happy enough here and has talked about us making incremental progress year-on-year. So long as we’re showing ambition, improving and our lack of success isn’t affecting his Brazil call-ups I think he’ll be fine.

If not, well, he’s on a long contract. It’ll be our turn to use this “inflated market” to frustrate any teams looking buy him.

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

He seems happy enough here and has talked about us making incremental progress year-on-year. So long as we’re showing ambition, improving and our lack of success isn’t affecting his Brazil call-ups I think he’ll be fine.

If not, well, he’s on a long contract. It’ll be our turn to use this “inflated market” to frustrate any teams looking buy him.

Yeah, was pleasantly surprised earlier this Summer to see some quotes from him (think it was from an interview when he was off with Brazil) essentially saying how we will need to build slowly, and it being a plan that will take a few years to bear fruit. Obviously who knows what he says if he has another blinder of a season and City come calling, but nice to hear!