Newcastle United vs. Notts Forest: 06/08/2022 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

The key for us is.... Joelinton, again.

With Joelinton in midfield we just stifle virtually every opposition we come up against and make it impossible for them to get a genuine foothold.

Behind him, assuming we start Willock, Bruno will completely dictate the play against their midfield and we will dominate the ball.

We might have to get used to being caught on the counter attack though. It used to be our trick but now we must be wary that a side with a couple of talented players frustrates us and hits us quickly.

I'd like to make a point about Trippier who will now effectively play as a RW when we have the ball, allowing Almiron to drift central. Trippier must have only started half a dozen games for us, he's like the proverbial new signing and can offer us an incredible advantage.

Forest will be well up for it but if we win the midfield battle, we win the game.

4 hours ago, madras said:

Just having a little look at one of their message boards and apparently we are expecting to challenge for the title and give them a hiding. Which of our boards are they looking at ?

The ones in their minds where we are deluded jawdees (which has basically been the media/ other fans trope since we dared to challenge Man U for the title in the mid 90s) 

49 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Pretty much all of the other outlets for NUFC fan-based opinions have very bad takes on our current situation. This is the only one, really, that has any sort of common sense on it. 

Other outlets ? I don't follow.

Aye nowt to see here, online fans in posting cliched, media-fed bollocks shocker. 7th to 12th (totally dependent on attacking signings and with a full pre-season from EH and the coaching staff being most important) has been almost uniformly the response from anyone i've chatted with.

No clues from the training photos, but do we think we're looking at something like this?

Pope

Trippier   Schär   Botman   Targett

Willock   Guimarães   Joelinton

Almirón   Wilson   Saint-Maximin

SUBS: Dubravka, Krafth, Lascelles, Burn, S. Longstaff, Anderson, Fraser, Murphy, Wood.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

No clues from the training photos, but do we think we're looking at something like this?

Pope

SUBS: Dubravka, Krafth, Lascelles, Burn, S. Longstaff, Anderson, Fraser, Murphy, Wood.

Don't know which way I'd go but I think Eddie will go Longstaff for Willock in that XI..

I think he'll go for version of last season's best 11 with a sprinkling of new signings:

Pope

Trippier - Schär - Burn - Targett

Willock - Bruno - Joelinton

Almiron - Wilson - ASM

It will be a tough game but home advantage and the sheer disruption to their side due to player ins and outs will see is win the day.

Something I don't think you can underestimate is importantance of a relatively settled side at this stage of the season.

10 minutes ago, madras said:

Don't know which way I'd go but I think Eddie will go Longstaff for Willock in that XI..

Agree with you there mate. I guess the CBs are up for debate as well, but apart from that it's Willock v Longstaff for the third CM spot that's uncertain. The reason I think Howe will go for Longstaff over Willock is mostly because Willock is a better option off the bench than Sean is, whether we're winning or losing his pace and finishing could be useful.

I don't think we'll be looking at trying to see games out as much when we're winning this season compared to last, so Longstaff coming off the bench for Willock isn't going to be as enticing when we're winning. 

11 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Agree with you there mate. I guess the CBs are up for debate as well, but apart from that it's Willock v Longstaff for the third CM spot that's uncertain. The reason I think Howe will go for Longstaff over Willock is mostly because Willock is a better option off the bench than Sean is, whether we're winning or losing his pace and finishing could be useful.

I don't think we'll be looking at trying to see games out as much when we're winning this season compared to last, so Longstaff coming off the bench for Willock isn't going to be as enticing when we're winning. 

Also Longstaff has more legs about him for helping out against a break from a team who likes to sit deep and he has a dig from distance.

This is the weakest position in our XI for me.

Edited by madras

I'm fairly certain Botman and Longstaff will start.

I know why alot think it'll be Burn and Schar and I understand the reasons of loyalty and those players having earned it, however its obvious from what I've watched we are markedly better with Botman in the team. Better chance of winning with him in the team, that needs to come before anything else unfortunately for Burn.

As for the midfield, Longstaff is the better option right now and even though Willock is getting back to his best Longstaff is so much more solid and I think retains possession alot better. The rest of the team picks itself.

Pope

Tripp   -  Schar   -  Botman  - Targett

Longstaff   -  Bruno   -  Joelinton

Almiron  - Wilson  - ASM 

1 minute ago, AJ9 said:

First time in absolutely ages I’ve been excited for the start of the new season. It’s a mint feeling.

Aye, not even the Rafa seasons were particularly exciting going into them. I just love how good our pre season has been this year. Even when we've lost, we've been good and playing with intensity that I don't think I've ever seen from us in pre season before. We've done really well while never even having anything close to our first team out on the pitch. Bodes so well for the season IMO. 

7 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

First time in absolutely ages I’ve been excited for the start of the new season. It’s a mint feeling.

Absolutely frightening how long when I think about it.

2004 probably. Battered Spurs under Sir Bobby and suffered daylight robbery.

Think it being Saturday and 3pm really helps. The other years under Sir Bobby had kick-offs all over the place.

Its got a Charlton 1998 vibe all over it.

First time in the PL for me since was as excited since 2012-13 due to the success of the previous year. Was too young to care then that we'd added fuck all to the squad in preparation for the extra Europa League games. Hence why I included that Spurs game in my post on the last page.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Pope

Unless we have any knocks I’d be shocked if this wasn’t the line up. 

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Pope

Yeah this’ll be the starting XI I’d imagine. 

5 hours ago, AJ9 said:

I’m so fucking stoked man. Can’t wait. Alarm will be nice and early for a Saturday but helllllll yeah. 

Guest reefatoon

I have a feeling Lascelles is going to start instead of Schar. He’s paired him up with Botman pretty much every pre season game.

2008 v Man Utd was the last time I was super excited for a season opener. Drawing away to them under Keegan felt like the good times were back! A shame that feeling only lasted for 3 more weeks…

It’s only take 14 years to get that feeling back! HTL!