Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 hour ago, David Edgar said:

Howe is textbook PR coached.  Every point is balanced.

It is super boring, but I'm not gonna complain.

His articulate answers are a pleasant contrast to Bacon Boy’s trite PFM garbage and ‘poor me’ witch-hunt responses.

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

Why?

Any players signed on deadline day (for example) will have missed five games. We've won one of them already.

The teams around us have either made minimal improvements (Leicester, Palace) or similar improvements to us (Wolves). Others are barely replacing players they've lost (Brighton). West Ham have bought well, Villa seemed to but are still struggling. It's not as if these other clubs are leaving us in the dust with regards to transfer activity.

Do the remaining 4 games not count at the end of the season?

I'm sure Eddie Howe would prefer to have all of the key transfers done in time for the players to join pre-season tour, begin to get to grips with environment, tactics etc. 

From the information available... we are monitoring the market e.g. no formal bids have been made.

It is worrying and sub-optimal.

It looks like we will do business very late and look to see what's available rather than identifying particular players which iss not the best approach.

4 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

His articulate answers are a pleasant contrast to Bacon Boy’s trite PFM garbage and ‘poor me’ witch-hunt responses.

“It’s been difficult, of course. But I hope [those predicting my exit] are getting a slap now from your bosses, to say, ‘You haven’t done your job’. Whoever your source was, didn’t get it right.”

can’t see Howe ever saying the like

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Do the remaining 4 games not count at the end of the season?

I'm sure Eddie Howe would prefer to have all of the key transfers done in time for the players to join pre-season tour, begin to get to grips with environment, tactics etc. 

From the information available... we are monitoring the market e.g. no formal bids have been made.

It is worrying and sub-optimal.

It looks like we will do business very late and look to see what's available rather than identifying particular players which iss not the best approach.

Oh Lawd ... not this again.

9 minutes ago, LV said:

I’m desperate for some signings too, I really am.

I just think we will only get people in if they are the right fit. I don’t think we do anything knee-jerk now like we did in January with Wood when we were in desperate straits. Even if we are crying out for more squad depth. 

And even in January, Wood had been fully scouted and was clearly the right sort of character. 

We'll definitely get in bodies on loan at the least imo.

I want us to avoid Burn type permanent signings and I think we will.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Can you please explain how you've come to this conclusion?

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

We'll definitely get in bodies on loan at the least imo.

I want us to avoid Burn type permanent signings and I think we will.

Ummm… why? He was an integral part of the reason we stayed up. 

Just now, LV said:

And is still playing well in the first team and will eventually be a great back up in multiple positions. And for just £13 million.

But you know ... never mind all that.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone know if Howe was asked or made any mention about replacing Shelvey ?

53 minutes ago, Rich said:

Few interesting bits from his presser:

• He feels we've got enough in midfield to cover Shelvey's absence currently but seems to be aware that another injury would put us in a bit of trouble. Effectively says Bruno will continue as the "6", with Longstaff as a backup. It's in the back of his mind that we'll now need another midfielder and we will seemingly move if one becomes available.

1 minute ago, LV said:

Think it's a fair point tbf. Perfect for where we were 8 months ago and having a few in the side like him and Targett is ok, if you add too many more we'll be a mid-table side. I don't see many positions we need with that sort of profile now, next step is clear upgrades l.

16 minutes ago, KaKa said:

One name I really hope we are keeping an eye on for that wide forward role is Jonathan David.

Our good fried Paulo Fonseca (!) made a great start in Ligue 1 with Lille last weekend, and is using Jonathan David on the right hand side as a wide forward, and he had a double last week and an assist. He looked good there.

Me too, although I still think he’s a couple of years away from being ready for the Premier League though.

Still not remotely worried tbh. I will be if it's lunch time on deadline day and there's no obvious links.

As soon as it was clear that we weren't signing anyone else within such a timeframe that they would benefit from pre-season, it basically doesn't matter when they arrive.

The gains are greater if we sign one/two excellent players late on rather than one/two less impressive players early.

Imagine we'd signed someone like Ramsey or Cantwell early doors in January instead of holding out for Bruno. :lol:

I'm anxious for us to make signings but still not arsed when, just as long as we do. 

7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Me too, although I still think he’s a couple of years away from being ready for the Premier League though.

I think he comes in straight away scoring goals. His record is fantastic since coming to Europe, especially for his age.

4 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Speed scroll....nothing....next page...speed scroll...saw tweet...back up and read...read forum comments after said tweet, for a bit...repeat speed scroll technique.

Not trying to be offensive to anyone of you beautiful bastards. It's just how my transfer reading has evolved :lol: 

Guilty of this myself [emoji38]

Burn is unlikely to be in our strongest XI within 10 months of signing.  His resale value is low. 

From what I understand FFP is the primary blocker for significant investment. Buying players for the short-term with low resale value isn’t the move unless they really push us up the league or have tremendous quality (Trippier). The £10-20m we spend chip away at our FFP budget. 

We had to do it in January for Wood (didn’t work so much) and Burn but we won’t do it going forward as a strategy. I think that was part of the thinking that delayed the Targett transfer. We probably want an upgrade relatively soon.  But at 26 and  consistent performances we could get our money back and some of our existing fullbacks could have decent sale value too. 

Not saying he’s a bad signing. He’s already achieved what he was brought in for. But going forward the strategy needs to change. 

21 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone know if Howe was asked or made any mention about replacing Shelvey ?

He was always going to be back up to Bruno at #6 this season, Howe has mentioned Longstaff can fill in there to. We just need to sign a front 2 CM now, wether it’s Maddison or Paqueta or anyone else.. key that we put some real goal/assist worthy quality in front of Bruno. 

29 minutes ago, Manxst said:

“It’s been difficult, of course. But I hope [those predicting my exit] are getting a slap now from your bosses, to say, ‘You haven’t done your job’. Whoever your source was, didn’t get it right.”

can’t see Howe ever saying the like

You can’t help but read it in his voice too which pisses you off even more.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Burn is unlikely to be in our strongest XI within 10 months of signing.  His resale value is low. 

From what I understand FFP is the primary blocker for significant investment. Buying players for the short-term with low resale value isn’t the move unless they really push us up the league or have tremendous quality (Trippier). The £10-20m we spend chip away at our FFP budget. 

We had to do it in January for Wood (didn’t work so much) and Burn but we won’t do it going forward as a strategy. I think that was part of the thinking that delayed the Targett transfer. We probably want an upgrade relatively soon.  But at 26 and  consistent performances we could get our money back and some of our existing fullbacks could have decent sale value too. 

Not saying he’s a bad signing. He’s already achieved what he was brought in for. But going forward the strategy needs to change. 

We finished 11th last season, pretty sure a lot of that was down to Dan Burn and his rock solid defending. I would have though the higher placed finish would have paid for his transfer fee in itself, never mind his contribution towards us avoiding relegation.