Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Getting rid of Wood and not even replacing him leaves our squad stronger. Obviously replacing him would be the ideal scenario but knowing he wouldn't be involved in games any more is benefit enough. I'd rather have Maxi or someone from the academy playing than someone we absolutely know can't and won't perform at this level.

Edited by Holmesy

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Getting rid of Wood and not even replacing him leaves our squad stronger. Obviously replacing him would be the ideal scenario but knowing he wouldn't be involved in games any more is benefit enough. I know that sounds a bit extreme but i'd rather have Maxi or someone from the academy playing than someone we absolutely know can't and won't perform at this level.

Of course it doesn’t man. If any of those were better options than Wood, they would be playing. But they aren’t. Because outside of Wilson and Isak, Wood is our best CF option by a considerable distance.

The lengths people are going to try and disrespect Wood because he isn’t good enough to be a regular starter in a top end PL team is mad.

12 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Getting rid of Wood and not even replacing him leaves our squad stronger. Obviously replacing him would be the ideal scenario but knowing he wouldn't be involved in games any more is benefit enough. I'd rather have Maxi or someone from the academy playing than someone we absolutely know can't and won't perform at this level.

Possibly the worst post I have read on this forum. Honestly man, give your head a shake!

14 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I mean the argument we'd have been relegated without Wood (if you believe that) only really works on the basis that we'd have been relegated without a striker and he was the only possible striker we could have signed.

His general play was really poor. Barely any goal threat, slow and sluggish, struggled to win headers and with hold up play. He contributed more defensively and pressed fairly well more than anything he offered going forward. Eddie, Joelintons transformation, singing a world class centre midfielder and rightback along with two defenders that never really put a foot wrong played a bigger part in us staying up than Wood. 

Worrying about his fee is abit pointless anyway, we've obviously overpaid loads but it was a desperation signing that we aren't going to repeat and £25m is nowt in the long run. He seems a nice lad but shouldn't really have a future here after this season. 

Thank you for making a miles better point than me just shitting on him. He obviously was part of a side that stayed up because they were being led by a manager who has had a sensational 12 months.

Factoring in things like integral, considerable, and major contributor are too far fetched for me.

12 minutes ago, mofo said:

Possibly the worst post I have read on this forum. Honestly man, give your head a shake!

Seriously?! The worst? Ok mate ??

We’ve seen this before with lots of shit players (especially under managers like Bruce, Pardew etc.). When you have a player in your squad, there’s always the temptation to use him. If he’s not in the squad you HAVE to use a different (better) option. Hence, stronger squad. 
Wood, isn’t good enough and nowhere as good as Wilson, Maxi and Isak. Therefore, the average quality of our attackers is reduced with Wood in the mix. 

Wood - 5

Wilson - 8

Isak - 8

Maxi -7

Average - 7

Wilson - 8

Isak - 8

Maxi - 7

Average - 7.66

This is merely for illustrative purposes obviously. No exact scientific models were applied.

Edited by Holmesy

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

We’ve seen this before with lots of shit players (especially under managers like Bruce, Pardew etc.). When you have a player in your squad, there’s always the temptation to use him. If he’s not in the squad you HAVE to use a different (better) option. Hence, stronger squad. 
Wood, isn’t good enough and nowhere as good as Wilson, Maxi and Isak. Therefore, the average quality of our attackers is reduced with Wood in the mix. 

Wood - 5

Wilson - 8

Isak - 8

Maxi -7

Average - 7

Wilson - 8

Isak - 8

Maxi - 7

Average - 7.66

This is merely for illustrative purposes obviously. No exact scientific models were applied.

Maxi is nowhere near a better option as a CF than CW.

The only time you would consider picking him over Wood, is when presented with very specific circumstances, where you’re playing against an elite team and will be attacking almost exclusively on the counter.

Those games are becoming less and less for us now. And even then I’m not sure it’s ever really worked particularly well with Maxi. 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I've seen noting from ASM to suggest that he's a 7/10 up top like.

Put him down to a 5.1 and the point still stands. He offers a shit load more goal and assist threat than Wood and that’s not even up for debate.

37 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Might be the worst take I have read on here in a long time? 

12 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Wood - 5

Wilson - 8

Isak - 8

Maxi -7

Average - 7

Wilson - 8

Isak - 8

Maxi - 7

Average - 7.66

Great logic, in fact get rid of Maxi as well as he drags down the mean. Could even get rid of Isak as well, we’d still be at 8 ???

3 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Out of interest, what have you seen from Wood that would make you pick him over Maxi?

Surely the question should be what have you seen from Maxi as a CF to pick him over Wood?

The whole reason we panic bought Wood was because Maxi was our only option up top and we couldn't win a game for toffee with him there.

The Cambridge cup game, Maxi started as striker and was absolutely horrendous. 

Whatever your view of Maxi in general, I'd have thought it was an easy common concencus that the bloke isn't a conventional striking option as long as he's got a hole in his arse.

Just now, Holmesy said:

Out of interest, what have you seen from Wood that would make you pick him over Maxi?

1. He's a striker.

2. Eddie Howe, who is pretty switched on, trusts him to do a job that he's never asked ASM to do.

3. ASM is also regularly injured.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

1. He's a striker.

2. Eddie Howe, who is pretty switched on, trusts him to do a job that he's never asked ASM to do.

3. ASM is also regularly injured.

So am I, in theory.

I get the ‘Eddie trusts him bit.’ Same with Rafa - whoever he picked I was comfortable with. But I also have eyes and I’m pretty sure what Eddie isn’t saying to Chris Wood is ‘don’t hold the ball up, don’t win any headers, when you do, cushion it back to the opposition keeper, don’t use your physical strength to dominate defenders etc.

We are winning despite Chris Wood, not because of his contribution to the team. It’s fantastic that we can carry him, but just like Sheffield Wednesday, it will come back to bite us at crucial moments.

1 hour ago, LeeB said:

We were terrible, he signed, we almost immediately became good. He played almost every game.

It's obviously a lot more complex than that, but to suggest we stayed up in spite of him is a pretty wild take.

We stayed up.

These morons need a whipping boy no matter what tho. Same one's masturbating early doors about having a team full of galacticos in by Christmas 2021

One minute it's Longstaff, then Little Joe, Murphy but usually 3rd choice striker Wood. 

Low hanging fruit, if you will

38 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

Look at peoples views of NUFC and Eddie Howe on the Eddie Howe thread, page 540 when we lost to Cambridge.

Despite Eddie Howe’s hard work, we were still a mess, and without wilson we had no focal point nor fret. Criticism on that page about us looking a shambles upfront, with maxi playing centre forward. 
Wood was signed and we immediately improved, as a structured team, with proper tactics and the team knew where they were all supposed to be playing, we also started the high press pretty quickly, something they probably worked on in the trip to saudi.

Its strange that the critics pay no heed to the above when criticising Wood or his purchase.

And which other striker was going to come, I don’t remember anyone else being close to signing other than Ekiteke.

He isnt good enough for where we want to go, but I will never criticise his contribution last season, or say he was a waste of money.

100% this ??

Wood is our 3rd choice striker, not many have a better 3rd choice striker in this league or a 3rd choice striker at all. Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, all have limited options if their first 2 strikers go down.

3 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

So am I, in theory.

I get the ‘Eddie trusts him bit.’ Same with Rafa - whoever he picked I was comfortable with. But I also have eyes and I’m pretty sure what Eddie isn’t saying to Chris Wood is ‘don’t hold the ball up, don’t win any headers, when you do, cushion it back to the opposition keeper, don’t use your physical strength to dominate defenders etc.

We are winning despite Chris Wood, not because of his contribution to the team. It’s fantastic that we can carry him, but just like Sheffield Wednesday, it will come back to bite us at crucial moments.

I mean the ‘don’t win any headers’ thing is actual something that can be proven as total nonsense with statistics…

edit - and as if by magic @worthyhas just inadvertently done so in the very next post…

Edited by SteV