Rich

Pope

Trippier     Schar     Botman     Tierney

DM

Bruno

JWP                         

RW                                          Joelinton 

Isak

With options of: Wilson, Willock, Miggy, Gordon, Longstaff, ASM, Targett, Burn, to chop and change where appropriate would seem a REASONABLE evolution of the current 11 whilst also massively improving the squad.

Obviously I'd prefer Maddison over JWP but just throwing balls in the air for discussion sake.

Really liking the idea of Tierney. He's pretty much perfect, fitness provided.

Never been impressed with Ward-Prowse outside of his set pieces but his stats do suggest otherwise. Do think we can get much better though. More so regarding McTominay, don't think he improves us much at all. 

Wish some of these links were to players on the continent more. Far better value for money there and I have no worries about implementing them here with Howe, his coaching and the staff.

28 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Never been impressed with Ward-Prowse outside of his set pieces but his stats do suggest otherwise. Do think we can get much better though. More so regarding McTominay, don't think he improves us much at all. 

Wish some of these links were to players on the continent more. Far better value for money there and I have no worries about implementing them here with Howe, his coaching and the staff.

I've always thought he's under-rated due to his free-kicks tbh. People see that and have him typecast as just that. He's a quality footballer with a good range of passing. Think he'd be perfect as the third midfielder alongside Bruno and Joelinton. 

Just now, Klaus said:

Is JWP actually a good player, or is he just excellent at free kicks? :lol:

Just good at free kicks imo. I think he's basically a slightly better Seb Larsson 

Just now, Klaus said:

Is JWP actually a good player, or is he just excellent at free kicks? :lol:

From what i've seen, not that I watch Southampton a ton, he's very tidy on the ball, picks a good pass but very small and easily knocked around physically. Think his cost would outweigh what he'd bring. But those FKs man.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I've always thought he's under-rated due to his free-kicks tbh. People see that and have him typecast as just that. He's a quality footballer with a good range of passing. Think he'd be perfect as the third midfielder alongside Bruno and Joelinton. 

He is a very good footballer who is underrated due to his setpiece and loyalty to Southampton. Since 2014-2015, he has missed only 11 games due to injury. I think he has played every minute of Southampton's PL games for four seasons or something like that. While that is massively impressive, players like that often deteriorate rapidly once they hit their late 20s or early 30s. There is that risk with JWP due to the mileage. We are facing the same with Fabinho this season. 

Just now, Myleftboot said:

I’m not liking the names that are getting linked at the minute like. James Ward Prowse,Scott Mctomanay,Harry Maguire,Mason Mount. Are these ‘phase 2’ players?

Let’s fucking hope not as the vibe seems to be PL experienced players. Absolutely worst way to go and would ultimately be Howe’s demise as he’d fail to take us to the next level PIF clearly want.

Lets hope it’s agent driven paper bollocks as it would be a huge shift in recruitment strategy.

They have said pretty consistently that we can’t afford to make mistakes in the market due to ffp, so it is understandable that we are targeting more prem proven players. However the likes of Mctominay are not the way to go.

The only thing they've proven is that they're all bang average (at best) and have played in the League long enough for that to be inarguable. I'd even go as far as to say I'd be deliberately avoiding dealing with the Big 6 right up until the point we're able to take their best players and that is at least 5 or 6 years away yet. Not interested in them converting their dross into cash because we're asking them, fuck that. Look at the best talent on the continent and go with that. There are many Botman's, Isak's and Bruno's out there so find them and sign them. What the fuck is Scott McTominay going to add to this side man? 

Having read Midds' eloquent riposte to the McTominay furore, i've changed my mind. I was in the "trust Eddie camp" on this if it turns out to be true. I feel like Mr Pink in Reservoir Dogs asking for his dollar back.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

12 minutes ago, midds said:

The only thing they've proven is that they're all bang average (at best) and have played in the League long enough for that to be inarguable. I'd even go as far as to say I'd be deliberately avoiding dealing with the Big 6 right up until the point we're able to take their best players and that is at least 5 or 6 years away yet. Not interested in them converting their dross into cash because we're asking them, fuck that. Look at the best talent on the continent and go with that. There are many Botman's, Isak's and Bruno's out there so find them and sign them. What the fuck is Scott McTominay going to add to this side man? 

Basically yeah, they are trying to offload dead wood. Everton and Sunderland always used to buy their cast offs. We should not be doing that. 

13 minutes ago, midds said:

Amen. And thank you??

I'm refusing to let myself get too wound up about any possible signings until I see them in black and white stripes. Until then it could be anything including diversionary tactics.

So far, all our signings have proven somewhere between safe and stunning. The transfer committee have a bit of rope from me.

18 minutes ago, 80 said:

I'm refusing to let myself get too wound up about any possible signings until I see them in black and white stripes. Until then it could be anything including diversionary tactics.

So far, all our signings have proven somewhere between safe and stunning. The transfer committee have a bit of rope from me.

The only one I’ve not been keen on is Gordon, think that’s their first big mistake in the market (hopefully he proves me wrong).

Gordon has a real chance of coming good. Mctominy is as good as he gets and isn't a much different level from Longstaff. If we're shifting Longstaff to the bench then it has to be for someone clearly better than him, or just stick with what we've got. Even better. Bring in young talent like Alex Scott and let him work his way into the team.