Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

24 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Good player but linked to Man City, PSG, Juve and Spurs this week alone. Reckon we’d struggle to match their wages, plus he’d be wanting to be a starter, and I think we’d be after someone to develop and step in when needed initially. 

It would be mad to break up the best CB partnership in the league tbh.

2 hours ago, STM said:

I can see us selling Lascelles/Maxi/Targett/Dubravka if the right offers come in.

Obviously you can add Fraser and Manquillo to that list. Of course, Richie and Dummett could go if they want to hang up their pom poms too.

I think the rest are safe. There's some big decisions to me made for Howe and Co. I can see a scenario where by Ashworth overrules Howe when it comes to selling any of those first 4 I mentioned.

Howe might not want to lose Maxi but in a world where we could get 35/40m for him and sign someone like Diaby, I think it would be considered.

Lewis still here?

3 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

It would be mad to break up the best CB partnership in the league tbh.

When we need other positions upgrading and replacing first, yes. Schar will be 32 in December, so you’d think he’s only got another season or two max left as first choice. 

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

We will get injuries and very likely play more games next season. 

True. Still couldn’t see the likes of Bastoni coming to cover injuries. Howe normally keeps a settled team and don’t think he’ll be moving Schar or Botman out next season. 

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If we're in Europe, we'll need RCB cover. Schar has been sensational this season, but he's 32 and will need a breather from his weekly concussion.

A younger player who could eventually replace him would be ideal.

He got two concussions on Sunday. It is mad that it's every single game yet he never seems to have to sit out. 

47 minutes ago, Manxst said:

True. Still couldn’t see the likes of Bastoni coming to cover injuries. Howe normally keeps a settled team and don’t think he’ll be moving Schar or Botman out next season. 

Nope, very unlikely that someone like him comes in. Meant more in general that we need more quality in. Obviously we have to target our weakest areas first whatever we think it might be. One injury and maybe a suspension and we might not have Botman and Schär available. Spine and depth in there is massive with many games over a season . Obviously important in other areas too but a team needs a strong spine imo. 

15 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

The problem we will have is catching Man City / Arsenal in terms of squad depth over the next few years. 

The teams at the top will probably spend similar or more than us (each window)

So very hard to catch up.

Our signings will all have to hit the ground running every window.

liverpool , Manure  , maybe spurs will also spend and already (on paper) have decent squads 

if we had of signed the players Chelsea had of signed in the last few windows we would be expecting to win the league !

Santos , Enzo Fernandez, Mudryk , felix , Denis Zakaria to name a few !

Its a very difficult process to catch up to all of these teams as they all have the money to buy the top players.

The one thing in our favour is we have a fantastic manager / Coaching set up who appear to get the very best out of players and improve (month by month) 

We shouldn’t be fooled though by thinking if we sign 2/3 players and spend £100/£110+ million we will be challenging for the league 

We May just need that to challenge the top 6 next season 

football never stands still and the top teams always look to improve. 

Ps - For what it’s worth , I just love seeing us play and competing again.

I don’t expect to win the league or cup.

I trust the club and love seeing us (give it a go) and strive for improvement.

Thats all we can ask for. 

You're not wrong, but these things are quite cyclical. 

Teams run out of steam, they struggle to replace players who get old, they make poor managerial decisions etc.

Man City have been the exception to that recently but nothing lasts forever & we can just gradually increase the quality in our 25 to put ourselves in a position to compete with these teams over 38 games.

I’m happy to be talking in terms of teams at the top , we have a long way to go if we ever want to win the league , we all know it .

A cup, yep we can and should have won the Carabao cup , it was there for us , we can do it again. 

13 hours ago, The Prophet said:

If we're in Europe, we'll need RCB cover. Schar has been sensational this season, but he's 32 and will need a breather from his weekly concussion.

A younger player who could eventually replace him would be ideal.

Ashby ?

45 minutes ago, GWN said:

I’m happy to be talking in terms of teams at the top , we have a long way to go if we ever want to win the league , we all know it .

A cup, yep we can and should have won the Carabao cup , it was there for us , we can do it again. 

If we get champions league it’s more likely than not we’ll be in a rough group given what pot we end up in. A third place in the group stage and a europa run would be amazing next season while maintaining a top 7 finish next season.

On 22/03/2023 at 08:42, BonesJones said:

Have AC not learned from past experiences?

Still a signing I was disappointed to see suddenly fall through, even though Isak came soon after.

Does he fit in a team alongside Isak or as his backup?

We are doing just fine.

No one calls our team "AC." We are simply "Milan."

6 minutes ago, Milanista said:

We are doing just fine.

No one calls our team "AC." We are simply "Milan."

Not to make this into the Official Serie A thread, but I've just had a look at the Serie A table there - looks like quite an exciting battle between 3rd and 6th. 

Joao Pedro seems like an ideal signing.

Isak adds a whole other dimension to our game the way he plays, dropping deep to get the ball and allowing the wingers and CM to go beyond him and exploit the space.

From what I've seen and (mostly) read of Pedro he seems like he'd be able to play the CF role in a similar way while also being someone who could play either wide position. With European football next year and the need for a rotation with the way Howe likes to play, Pedro seems to make sense.

I don't know if he'll be happy with it but for me Wilson should be used primarily as a substitute. Cracking player to bring on when we're chasing a goal.

5 minutes ago, Shak said:

Joao Pedro seems like an ideal signing.

Isak adds a whole other dimension to our game the way he plays, dropping deep to get the ball and allowing the wingers and CM to go beyond him and exploit the space.

From what I've seen and (mostly) read of Pedro he seems like he'd be able to play the CF role in a similar way while also being someone who could play either wide position. With European football next year and the need for a rotation with the way Howe likes to play, Pedro seems to make sense.

I don't know if he'll be happy with it but for me Wilson should be used primarily as a substitute. Cracking player to bring on when we're chasing a goal.

Agree 100%.

Wilson scored two yesterday, but there is a clear difference in the quality of our build up and possession without Isak, it's why we were so disjointed most of the game.

Joao Pedro would be a great understudy to Isak because he does indeed have the same profile and style of game, and we could really do with another striker of that ilk, and as you said he can also fill in at other positions so will be very very handy.

6 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I would be doing everything possible to sign Rice. He’s a brilliant player and his attitude and work-rate would be a great fit for our set-up.

He’s my number one target for midfield, but there’s no way he is sold for less than £100m unless he asks to leave

True, but I still think even with relegation that he commands a huge fee and one that we couldn’t ‘afford’ to pay right now. Well unless it’s around the £60m mark which I actually think is a fair price, but every top team would be in for him at that price 

It all depends on if there’s a bidding war for him or not. Feel like a potential move to Chelsea has probably gone, considering their ludicrous outlay on midfielders in January.

Arsenal have Partey, Man United have Casemiro and City have Rodri + fatty Phillips.

He only has a year left on his deal, so doubt any fee will exceed £80m.