Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

17 hours ago, The Prophet said:

A left back has to be near the top of the list, along with midfield reinforcements.

I agree on the left back issue. We can't get away with playing Dan Burn there for too much longer. Matt Targett is decent going forward but isn't a great defender.

I think LB is the easiest position to upgrade. I'm not sure we'll have that much to spend in the summer, so I'd be happy to see a sizeable chunk of the budget invested there. 

Whatever we might think of the ability of particular individuals in other positions, the team is operating so well together that we have to be careful of upsetting the balance. We're in 3rd place on merit. Bruno-Longstaff-Willock / Joelinton are a bit of a unit. Maybe another wide player who can also fill in as a striker would be handy.

I think Maddison is a great player, but I'm not quite sure how we'd use him, and who would make way.

9 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I think Maddison is a great player, but I'm not quite sure how we'd use him, and who would make way.

Paper talk today is Spurs are now sniffing around him. Seasons past that would have been the death knell for our chances but fancy us being front runners if we did make the UCL.

42 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I agree on the left back issue. We can't get away with playing Dan Burn there for too much longer. Matt Targett is decent going forward but isn't a great defender.

I think LB is the easiest position to upgrade. I'm not sure we'll have that much to spend in the summer, so I'd be happy to see a sizeable chunk of the budget invested there. 

Whatever we might think of the ability of particular individuals in other positions, the team is operating so well together that we have to be careful of upsetting the balance. We're in 3rd place on merit. Bruno-Longstaff-Willock / Joelinton are a bit of a unit. Maybe another wide player who can also fill in as a striker would be handy.

His ability to defend is literally the strongest part of his game. 

35 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Paper talk today is Spurs are now sniffing around him. Seasons past that would have been the death knell for our chances but fancy us being front runners if we did make the UCL.

I saw a bit of Spurs last night and they weren't very impressive. Conte has as good as said that he thinks they're a club who are going nowhere, so I think they may have trouble attracting anyone from the top drawer of management. Kane will now want to go and I reckon a newcomer will have to rip it all up and start again. 

5 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

His ability to defend is literally the strongest part of his game. 

I'm not sure that any particular part of his game is strong, but I don't think he's a great defender. I do think he's better than Burn going forward, which I suppose isn't saying much. Tierney would be a great buy, but I still wonder whether any of the big six cartel are going to sell to us. 

I am a bit surprised by how little Targett has been used since he's been back from injury, even the odd 10 minutes here and there haven't really happened. I don't know if there's any underlying issues with him but it does seems to have been a totally lost season given how well he did in the last 6 months last year.

20 minutes ago, KDT said:

I am a bit surprised by how little Targett has been used since he's been back from injury, even the odd 10 minutes here and there haven't really happened. I don't know if there's any underlying issues with him but it does seems to have been a totally lost season given how well he did in the last 6 months last year.

Aye it is weird. Especially when we paid £15m for him.

He left Villa as he didn’t want to be back so wouldn’t surprise me if he was away in the summer, particularly if we sign someone. 

22 minutes ago, KDT said:

Think they looked at other LB options, but likely decided that big money would be better spent elsewhere given we could pick Targett up cheap and had Dan Burn. Imagine this Summer will be different with a LB one of the big priorities. So much of our attacks come down that right, imagine if we were just as lethal on the left. 

1 hour ago, KDT said:

After a while, I noticed with Targett that he's not particularly quick on the turn. Dan Burn is even slower, but there's other things he brings to the side - particularly leadership and organisation. Burn has also got a ruthless streak and stretches the rules to the limit in defending - man or ball can get past me but not both. He's canny enough to know how far to go and how to handle referees, and of course he's not going to get beaten in the air at the back post. So although he's more limited than Targett going forward, I can see why Eddie thinks he offers the better package.

But as others have said, this is the position that's easiest to upgrade.

I can see us selling Lascelles/Maxi/Targett/Dubravka if the right offers come in.

Obviously you can add Fraser and Manquillo to that list. Of course, Richie and Dummett could go if they want to hang up their pom poms too.

I think the rest are safe. There's some big decisions to me made for Howe and Co. I can see a scenario where by Ashworth overrules Howe when it comes to selling any of those first 4 I mentioned.

Howe might not want to lose Maxi but in a world where we could get 35/40m for him and sign someone like Diaby, I think it would be considered.

36 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m sure we’ll spend over £100m in the summer. Probably more. Depending on where we finish of course. 

The problem we will have is catching Man City / Arsenal in terms of squad depth over the next few years. 

The teams at the top will probably spend similar or more than us (each window)

So very hard to catch up.

Our signings will all have to hit the ground running every window.

liverpool , Manure  , maybe spurs will also spend and already (on paper) have decent squads 

if we had of signed the players Chelsea had of signed in the last few windows we would be expecting to win the league !

Santos , Enzo Fernandez, Mudryk , felix , Denis Zakaria to name a few !

Its a very difficult process to catch up to all of these teams as they all have the money to buy the top players.

The one thing in our favour is we have a fantastic manager / Coaching set up who appear to get the very best out of players and improve (month by month) 

We shouldn’t be fooled though by thinking if we sign 2/3 players and spend £100/£110+ million we will be challenging for the league 

We May just need that to challenge the top 6 next season 

football never stands still and the top teams always look to improve. 

Ps - For what it’s worth , I just love seeing us play and competing again.

I don’t expect to win the league or cup.

I trust the club and love seeing us (give it a go) and strive for improvement.

Thats all we can ask for. 

3 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

The problem we will have is catching Man City / Arsenal in terms of squad depth over the next few years. 

The teams at the top will probably spend similar or more than us (each window)

So very hard to catch up.

Our signings will all have to hit the ground running every window.

liverpool , Manure  , maybe spurs will also spend and already (on paper) have decent squads 

if we had of signed the players Chelsea had of signed in the last few windows we would be expecting to win the league !

Santos , Enzo Fernandez, Mudryk , felix , Denis Zakaria to name a few !

Its a very difficult process to catch up to all of these teams as they all have the money to buy the top players.

The one thing in our favour is we have a fantastic manager / Coaching set up who appear to get the very best out of players and improve (month by month) 

We shouldn’t be fooled though by thinking if we sign 2/3 players and spend £100/£110+ million we will be challenging for the league 

We May just need that to challenge the top 6 next season 

football never stands still and the top teams always look to improve. 

Ps - For what it’s worth , I just love seeing us play and competing again.

I don’t expect to win the league or cup.

I trust the club and love seeing us (give it a go) and strive for improvement.

Thats all we can ask for. 

I'm the same, happy to just be part of it again rather than cannon fodder for the top teams.

That will change in time as we see more of the current success, id imagine we will start to expect to win something, anything, please.

Agree... target next year should be to maintain the top 6 with a respectable showing in Europe (be it UCL or Europa League). We need to build squad depth given the extra slate of matches. That likely won't happen overnight. 

3 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Messi leaving PSG is he? Could Howe finally get the best out of him?

Wonder if he’d make the famous Tyne/Wear transfer thread on RTG if he ever signed for us…? 🤔😂

Bastoni at Inter?

Contract runs out in 2024, 6ft 3, 23 years old. Another left footer mind.

Has anyone watched/followed Inter. He's exactly the profile we will look at.

Players in the last year of contact is definitely our modus operandi.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

Bastoni at Inter?

Contract runs out in 2024, 6ft 3, 23 years old. Another left footer mind.

Has anyone watched/followed Inter. He's exactly the profile we will look at.

Players in the last year of contact is definitely our modus operandi.

Good player but linked to Man City, PSG, Juve and Spurs this week alone. Reckon we’d struggle to match their wages, plus he’d be wanting to be a starter, and I think we’d be after someone to develop and step in when needed initially. 

20 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Wonder if he’d make the famous Tyne/Wear transfer thread on RTG if he ever signed for us…? 🤔😂

Or would he make the RTG combined XI?

#CattsForMeLike