Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I would take a fair bit of what he says with a pinch of salt

Literally the press conference after Leicester he joked about how he does not tell journalists the full story.

There's definitely a lot to be said for not signing too many players as well, mind. We all thought we needed more last summer and actually we got it spot on with the 3 we signed (I'm taking Targett as already in the building). They added genuine quality to the spine of the team. Players we thought weren't good enough have stepped up massively, and not having significant turnover of players has retained and actually fostered the team spirit. It's a crucial balancing act. It's definitely better to focus on quality rather than quantity. We just have to get the balance right because we're going to get so many more injuries next year.

Basically I'm saying 2-3 doesn't sound enough, but 6 might actually be too much.

Edited by ponsaelius

I wonder - especially if Ritchie leaves - we'll be looking to recruit with the 'leadership group' in mind; i.e. an older squad player whose value is as much (if not more) on the dressing room as it is on the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I wonder - especially if Ritchie leaves - we'll be looking to recruit with the 'leadership group' in mind; i.e. an older squad player whose value is as much (if not more) on the dressing room as it is on the pitch. 

Wants to keep dummy, Ritchie and dubs. 

I don’t see how we justify squad places for Ritchie and Dummett though. 

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, this is something I think we actually need for European football next season. Experienced pros who know what it takes to win at that level, and are also okay with being rotation options.

Easier said than done, to identify those players though.

If we only sign 2/3 I’d imagine they will be pretty big money signings. If we could supplement them with a couple of young lads it will have been a cracking window. (As long as Mctominay isn’t one of the signings).

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

If we only sign 2/3 I’d imagine they will be pretty big money signings. If we could supplement them with a couple of young lads it will have been a cracking window. (As long as Mctominay isn’t one of the signings).

If we spent big money on two CMs and a LB and supplemented the squad with younger/backup options at RCB and forward I'd be more than happy with that.

It won’t be 5-6. FFP won’t allow that level of spend on the first team at CL quality and it would totally disrupt the group.

3 plus a couple into the development squad who can cover off the bench is pretty realistic. That would be easier for Howe to integrate into the group and probably cost £150m.

Likely CM, RF + 1, with RCB being a development squad purchase.

I think Almiron makes the RF conversation very difficult.

I'm sure the club know this, but replacing him with someone who give more attacking output is going to be very risky in terms of pressing and work rate. 

It'll be really interesting to see what they do. 

34 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'd possibly like to see an older midfielder in the style of Moutinho or someone like that. I do think we have struggled to cope with the odd situation due to lack of experience.  Not very often of course.

Milner would actually have been decent. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'd possibly like to see an older midfielder in the style of Moutinho or someone like that. I do think we have struggled to cope with the odd situation due to lack of experience.  Not very often of course.

Milner would actually have been decent. 

Ian trying to make us a retirement home :lol:

54 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We've massively played down our transfer market capabilities every single time, before then blowing significant dollar. I would take anything anyone at the club says with even a gallon of salt. 

An awful lot of the discourse on here during the summer window was how you say? 'bedwetty as fook'; and it all turned out thoroughly marvellous. I pray that we're not gonna go through the same shit again if we haven't signed Szoboszlai and Diaby by mid-July.

They'll get it right, they always do. 

:lol:

I’m pretty sure it’ll be a bit of a damp summer with quite a few changes of clothing needed 

1. Dubravka

Trippier

Dummett

Botman

Schar

Lascelles

Joelinton

Gordon

Wilson

Maxi

Ritchie

Lewis

Targett

Isak

Krafth 

Karius

Manquillo

Fraser 

Pope

Murphy

Almiron

Willock

Gillespie

Ashby 

Anderson

Burn

Longstaff

28. Bruno

28 players there; I don't know which three don't count towards the 25. But surely if we're making recruits then players like Dummett and Ritchie - who almost never play - can't be registered. Fraser is the only one who we know, to a certainty, is expendable. 

23 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Could have a situation where Dummett isn't in the PL squad but makes the CL squad just because we have nobody else who is Club HG, and it's better than just naming one fewer players.

This is what I thought.

If we want to register a full 25 man squad for the CL then 4 of them have to be club homegrown. Anderson doesn't need to be registered as he's under 21 so we currently only have 2 - Dummett and Longstaff. If we're going to register a full 25 then we need two more on top of those so it makes sense to keep Dummett. 

I don't even know which club homegrown players are out there to get so that we can register 25? Krul, Woodman and Forster? Ivan Toney? Adam Armstrong? Andy Carroll? :lol:

Think this is the player i want us to sign the most, even if not ready to be a starting key player for us (physically). Him along with DS from Leipzig i think. He is just bound to become a world star.

Get him in and a marquee right sided player and im excited. Surely would get decent enough time on the pitch as a #10 or wide forward. Or leave him out on loan for a seasn at FB.

Andrea Pirlo on AG.

Arda Guler is a very talented player,” Pirlo said. “He has the potential to play anywhere in the world. He has quality, he can read the game well, and he has great technique. If he keeps developing his game, there is no limit to his potential.”

Edited by Ikon

25 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Think this is the player i want us to sign the most, even if not ready to be a starting key player for us (physically). Him along with DS from Leipzig i think. He is just bound to become a world star.

Get him in and a marquee right sided player and im excited. Surely would get decent enough time on the pitch as a #10 or wide forward. Or leave him out on loan for a seasn at FB.

Andrea Pirlo on AG.

Yes, he has that aura about him. One of the young player I'm most certain of that he will succeed.