Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

6 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

Surely it all comes down to what someone else will pay?

26 with 1 year left or not, if Spurs will pay £50m to take him from us, why would Leicester settle for £40m, unless the player refuses?

Well obviously, like any transfer (unless there’s a release clause) someone else can always come along and pay over the odds.

But in those situations, you’ve just got to walk away and let them get on with it. It only makes things increasingly hard going forward, and you end up consistently overpaying for players. Man Utd being a prime example.

59 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

I don’t think Spurs will want to pay £50m either. Leicester will weaken on that over the summer but it’s whether we want to wait knowing Eddie needs pre season with his players.

I really doubt they will pay it. They're haggling with Juve, trying to reduce the fee they'd agreed to pay for Kulusevski.

12 minutes ago, MrSnrub said:

NE journos don't a clue. That slaphead Edwards does it all the time, said we couldn't afford Isak but then when we signed him "our budget had changed", trying to maintain his credibility. Let's be honest, last year we only knew about Botman initially from the French side, and Pope pretty much happened over night, same as Isak. The club are usually water tight when it comes to transfers. 

I have some sympathy on the isak side the club did break the expected budget due to an intervention from the chairman so they were told in good faith can't afford 

2 hours ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Hemel Hempstead was right on the edge of farmland with lots of great country pubs.  I often saw John Barnes on sunday mornings with his newspaper walking to my local, the Fishery Inn which was situated on the Grand Union canal in Hemel.  Happy days.

I'm not saying it isn't. Just not a life for me the commuting, pollution and general feel of London. Used to get to work stressed and tired and absolutely stressed and tired when home. Much happier now on the outskirts of Brighton in the south downs

34 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I love how for weeks before we got top 4 all the journos said we had 3 lists of targets depending on what position we finished. Move forward a few weeks after getting champions league and we can’t afford Diaby and Szoboszlai and we are targeting players from relegated clubs.

Boils your piss like (keeping the theme of today going).

Spot on about the journos not having a clue any more. Love the way the club acts now behind the scenes - making signings like Isak out the blue is more exciting to me than long drawn out saga's in the UK media. Think it was a Spanish paper that broke the Isak deal last year, we signed him the next day.

27 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

I don't know why anyone bangs on about a budget. Eales has said that if the right player comes along well adjust to ensure we can sign them. We can't keep doing that forever but in the grand scheme of ffp we still haven't spent loads.

isn't the ffp a rolling 3 year profit process (I get i'm simplifying it) but on top of that sure I read somewhere we posted a £105m profit last season before takeover.  Using those as a very rough estimate, we haven't got masses of amounts to spend and will want to spend it conservatively as well I feel.

My thoughts are

We have spent the previous 15 years trying to find excuses not to spend money

Now we have people in charge who are looking to develop and build from the ground up.. and will spend every penny available to get us there.

Signing Dan Ashworth was always to develop and identify emerging talent at the best cost... Brighton use it to flip players and build their cost base, Chelsea, man city did it so they could sell youngsters to fund the ffp of the first team.

Our early success has pushed us ahead of the plan and now we seem stuck between the two camps... Do we buy talent for the future and stick to the plan or focus on the  first team for next year's champions league campaign.

The latter might only be six games.. so maybe we are hedging our bets and going for the long term strategy.

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Brighton just got £35m (alright seems there might be various add ons on top) for Mac Allister with one year left.

Leicester obviously aren’t getting £50m for Maddison in the same situation 

didnt he have a release clause though?

16 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

My thoughts are

We have spent the previous 15 years trying to find excuses not to spend money

Now we have people in charge who are looking to develop and build from the ground up.. and will spend every penny available to get us there.

Singing Dan Ashworth was always to develop and identify emerging talent at the best cost... Brighton use it to flip players and build their cost base, Chelsea, man city did it so they could sell youngsters to fund the ffp of the first team.

Our early success has pushed us ahead of the plan and now we seem stuck between the two camps... Do we by talent for the future or first team for next year's champions league campaign.

The latter might only be six games.. so maybe we are hedging our bets and going for the long term strategy.

Investment is just required to be successful in the Champions League. It's so that the Champions League campaign doesn't affect our league form. We struggled to get over the line this season due to injuries and fatigue. We need cover as a minimum but I suspect to challenge for top 4 we'll need to add significant quality. Another few games and Liverpool would have pipped us 

8 minutes ago, huss9 said:

didnt he have a release clause though?

I’m not sure he did? 

Admittedly the reporting around this seems a bit all over the place, so not entirely clear. Or perhaps any clause, and the subsequent fee, related to him only having one year left?

the club will look to line up signings in each of the priority positions within a set budget, so we might hear nothing then 3 announcements at once.

different players will get linked as the club test the valuations and salary demands to see if the jigsaw pieces fit. Names like maddison will come and go as the other positions get narrowed down, then when it’s settled I expect the deals to be done en masse