Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 hour ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Because Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U all under achieved last year? 

I mean we benefitted as well but Arsenal might not have been the story if Liverpool got their normal 90+ points second place

So if Man United and Liverpool didn't underachieve, we would've needed 80 points for top 4? That has never happened before. The highest in latest years is 75p being Liverpool at 4th, 71p would be enough for most seasons. I don't get this "if every team would've performed" thing.. That never happens.

Edited by Erikse

11 minutes ago, Erikse said:

So if Man United and Liverpool didn't underachieve, we would've needed 80 points for top 4? That has never happened before. The highest in latest years is 75p being Liverpool at 4th, 71p would be enough for most seasons. I don't get this "if every team would've performed" thing.. That never happens.

It hasn't, but the number of teams realistically looking at top 4 has grown.

We're either going to see seasons where the points difference between 4th (and maybe even 1st) through to 7th is really small as all of the newly termed massive seven have the seasons they are expected to have or where the aforementioned seven beat everyone from 8th down but there is a split in results amongst them, giving a highish bar for anyone to get into the top 7 but there being a clear gap between 5th and 4th.

The final option is of course that every season has a Chelsea/Spurs so the dogfight remains amongst 5 of the 7 plus a surprise package

29 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I promised myself I wouldnt get obsessed with this thread this summer. Not like last summer. I would only checkin once a day.

I need help

You need help? If I'm checking this thread at 10am on a glorious summer morning, the last thing I want to read about is Arda Guler's prospects of signing for Arsenal. Get a grip NO rumour mongers, this isn't what we signed up for.

34 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

It hasn't, but the number of teams realistically looking at top 4 has grown.

We're either going to see seasons where the points difference between 4th (and maybe even 1st) through to 7th is really small as all of the newly termed massive seven have the seasons they are expected to have or where the aforementioned seven beat everyone from 8th down but there is a split in results amongst them, giving a highish bar for anyone to get into the top 7 but there being a clear gap between 5th and 4th.

The final option is of course that every season has a Chelsea/Spurs so the dogfight remains amongst 5 of the 7 plus a surprise package

It's true that the average has been going up historically due to the rise of Tottenham (compared to 20 years ago), Chelsea and City. But with the "big 6", the average has only risen by about 5 points in 20 years. It might go up with us in the mix aswell, but not by that much considering it's just 1 more team in the mix. Ofcourse it's not impossible that it will reach 80 in a single season at some point, but before last season a lot of people were saying that Liverpool would win the league and that Chelsea would be top 4. Next season those 2 disappointments could be replaced by someone else, or maybe some of them will fail again. I actually think that Chelsea will still be in a bit of trouble, too many new players (and too many flops).

Edited by Erikse

41 minutes ago, Erikse said:

No the question was about Arsenals sudden rise..

I just personally feel that as well as they played they also got the added benefit of other teams under performing.. much like the year Leicester won the league with 81 points.

or put it another way similar to Spurs in the Leicester season..I don't think they will get  a better chance of winning it. 

3 hours ago, SteV said:

Tbf there’s at least three Turkish barbers on Westgate Road.

There's about 10 in Stanley, and before you ask, no it has nothing to do with money laundering. 

2 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Because Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U all under achieved last year? 

I mean we benefitted as well but Arsenal might not have been the story if Liverpool got their normal 90+ points second place

Their 84 point haul was legit as were the performances.  

chelsea haven’t touched 80+ points since Conte. Man U haven’t touched 84 points since Fergie. 

40 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

No the question was about Arsenals sudden rise..

I just personally feel that as well as they played they also got the added benefit of other teams under performing.. much like the year Leicester won the league with 81 points.

or put it another way similar to Spurs in the Leicester season..I don't think they will get  a better chance of winning it. 

Aye but Leicester won the league with 81 points. That’s the lowest total since Mourinho came to the league I reckon.   

84 points is usually enough for 2nd except those 2 seasons Liverpool ran City close with 90+ points. 

The no CL football was a massive advantage for Arsenal.  Any regression will be in large part down to that.  They were also fortunate that most of their attackers stayed injury free except GJ. 

Surely if the league is more competitive and teams are taking more points off one another, then the overall points haul will be lower? 

Unless the gap grows further between top ten teams and bottom ten and then there will be higher points totals to get top 4 and lower points totals to avoid relegation.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Would you swap Maguire with Lascelles if the offer was there and they were willing to do it?

Absolutely not. 

Lascelles is limited but is aware of it and put some decent performances off the bench and where he had to step in last season. 

Maguire is a genuine calamity on massive wages who thinks he’s Maldini. 

I know it’s a never gonna happen hypothetical question but it’s a definite no from me. 

5 minutes ago, alexf said:

Surely if the league is more competitive and teams are taking more points off one another, then the overall points haul will be lower? 

Unless the gap grows further between top ten teams and bottom ten and then there will be higher points totals to get top 4 and lower points totals to avoid relegation.

Yes, the fact that more teams are fighting for the top spots also means that there are more difficult games to play. That's why the average points needed for top 4 hasn't gone up drastically despite the fact that more teams are competitive.

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Would you swap Maguire with Lascelles if the offer was there and they were willing to do it?

Maguire is not good with a high line because of his pace. I think that's partly why he's playing better for England. I don't think he would fit in a high pressing team like us.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

I'd rather support another side than see Maguire in a Newcastle kit.

Why? ?

I mean I’m not advocating signing him, but the general reaction to the possibility seems very OTT.

9 minutes ago, SteV said:

Why? ?

I mean I’m not advocating signing him, but the general reaction to the possibility seems very OTT.

I would hazard a guess that he would expect first choice which would mean dislodging two fan favourites for a player seen as a bit of joke figure (admittedly unfairly quite a bit of the time). And that would come at the cost of breaking our wage structure you’d think so he have that held against him. Our budget if not small has no room to be wasted so I think a bit like Gordon it would be questioned if money could’ve been spent better.

My main concerns are he lacks the one thing we require at the back (rapid pace) and is just more of the same. That and he could go jail though due to his money and occupation he’ll probably wriggle out of.

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Does the £15 million for Chris Wood add to the £75 million kitty or was it already included? 

being checked by the fraud squad and ffp first.

uefa and PL dont believe we got £15m for him.