Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

The whispers seem to think Maguire was one of the main culprits to be leaking stuff about team mates and managers when he wasn't getting his way, so don't think there are any positives at all to the theoretical move.

6 minutes ago, dcmk said:

The whispers seem to think Maguire was one of the main culprits to be leaking stuff about team mates and managers when he wasn't getting his way, so don't think there are any positives at all to the theoretical move.

I thought that was supposed to be Lingard?

Or is it whoever fans want to make a scapegoat at any given time?

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I would hazard a guess that he would expect first choice which would mean dislodging two fan favourites for a player seen as a bit of joke figure (admittedly unfairly quite a bit of the time). And that would come at the cost of breaking our wage structure you’d think so he have that held against him. Our budget if not small has no room to be wasted so I think a bit like Gordon it would be questioned if money could’ve been spent better.

My main concerns are he lacks the one thing we require at the back (rapid pace) and is just more of the same. That and he could go jail though due to his money and occupation he’ll probably wriggle out of.

Some very fair points there, and as I say, I’m certainly no advocate for signing him, but he’s still a current England international, and club captain at a team who (only just) finished above us. 

Obvious questions about the value for money any kind of deal would provide, but he’s hardly some useless donkey.

8 minutes ago, SteV said:

Some very fair points there, and as I say, I’m certainly no advocate for signing him, but he’s still a current England international, and club captain at a team who (only just) finished above us. 

Obvious questions about the value for money any kind of deal would provide, but he’s hardly some useless donkey.

This. Don't get me wrong. I don't want him, and don't rate him as better than either Botman or Schar. But his descent into becoming a comedy figure means it gets overlooked that he is actually pretty decent. We can turn our noses up at him, given what we have and our potential resources to upgrade at CB down the line, fanbases like Villa absolutely shouldn't be.

Maguire comes in for a lot of unfair stick. 

He has weaknesses, for sure. Slow decision making, a lack of pace, and not phenomenal on the ball to name three.

Still a good player for the right team. But I don't see how he fits our playing style.

He's too slow for our high back line and I don't see him making the diagonal balls Schar is capable of (i.e. pass to Joelinton Vs Spurs).

I think the next CB we bring in will be quicker and will come in for Schar when we are facing certain opposition. 

12 minutes ago, cranna said:

Maguire, McTominay and Gordon. Apparently Eddie Howe reactivated his Bournemouth past. The owners will have no mercy on him two years from now, he better get things right...

Shut the fuck up

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Why? ?

I mean I’m not advocating signing him, but the general reaction to the possibility seems very OTT.

Why does it have to be him replacing Lascelles though? We could sign any number of CBs who are on the rise rather than someone who's a busted flush. It just seems a daft proposition.

The games we struggled this season were surprisingly against some of the teams who tried hard to rough us up.. Schär although an excellent player can be muscled off the ball quite easily in those ball over top 50/50 situations. Botman although far superior, is also prone to the odd nightmare against players who really put it about.

To replace Schär effectively, you need a ball playing centre back.. not just that but a supreme passer of the ball. Try and match that with someone who is also physically imposing and in terms of world football, you have a fairly short list of players. Even shorter when you consider most of them are already at clubs who don’t need to sell.

5 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Really? 

Next year is going to be tough. There's an average drop off of 8 league positions the following season after a side first qualifies for Europe. Some of our fanbase are going to be unbearable if we experience anything like that. Dreading them already. 

5 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Next year is going to be tough. There's an average drop off of 8 league positions the following season after a side first qualifies for Europe. Some of our fanbase are going to be unbearable if we experience anything like that. Dreading them already. 

First phrase (genuinely uttered aloud and not said since I was about 15…) was ‘fucking cockblob’ ? Which  probably captures my true exasperation better than ‘Really?’ 

and btw I’m guessing 6th next year. Which I’d be fine with, though is probably low for European champions ?

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

4 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Thank fook we’ve been defying all the stats!
(Will be relegated, won’t make top 4) :indi:  

24 minutes ago, TRon said:

Why does it have to be him replacing Lascelles though? We could sign any number of CBs who are on the rise rather than someone who's a busted flush. It just seems a daft proposition.

It doesn’t have to be him at all. In fact most us would think it probably better if it wasn’t.

But, let’s just say it was. It’s hardly a valid reason to throw all our toys out the pram is it? 

He’s still a very capable PL CB, albeit with all the caveats around downward trajectory, style of play, potential cost etc. duly noted.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

It doesn’t have to be him at all. In fact most us would think it probably better if it wasn’t.

But, let’s just say it was. It’s hardly a valid reason to throw all our toys out the pram is it? 

He’s still a very capable PL CB, albeit with all the caveats around downward trajectory, style of play, potential cost etc. duly noted.

He's a very expensive option to replace Lacelles on the non playing CB role. Hopefully Ashford and the team have younger cheaper option in view

4 minutes ago, SteV said:

Well all those caveats about the downward trajectory are the reason people are against it. You've said it yourself there, most will feel we don't need an ageing back up for an ageing Schar.

Just now, gjohnson said:

He's a very expensive option to replace Lacelles on the non playing CB role. Hopefully Ashford and the team have younger cheaper option in view

I’m not sure there’ll be a non-playing CB role this season. Schar did very well to play as many games as he did last season. With the addition of Europe this year, he’ll have to miss a fair few more this season I suspect.

Just now, TRon said:

Well all those caveats about the downward trajectory are the reason people are against it. You've said it yourself there, most will feel we don't need an ageing back up for an ageing Schar.

Aye, there’s being against it (fairly reasonably) and there’s making out it would be some kind of catastrophic error that would lead to our immediate demise.

Maguire always plays on the left side of defence doesn’t he? So the question is Maguire vs Botman and Burn, and given that Maguire is one of the highest paid defenders in the world and would be moving for first team football, the question is Maguire vs Botman.

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

I’m not sure there’ll be a non-playing CB role this season. Schar did very well to play as many games as he did last season. With the addition of Europe this year, he’ll have to miss a fair few more this season I suspect.

That's a fair point, but I'd not be expecting us to look at ageing expensive loans given the improvements to our scouting department. Hopefully more up and coming players in the botman mold.

Disappointed with this thread today like. Come in to something about teams not performing and points totals followed up by maguire talk. 

Although since we seem to be linked with man u castoffs, who would be the man u player that you definitely wouldn't want here? 

I've no doubt the next signing will completely catch everybody off guard, including (especially) the local journos who now know the square root of fuck all.

Prediction; we get some (more) arsey articles from the likes of Hope, Edwards et all towards the back end of the window, mainly due to being spiteful bastards that nowt gets leaked to them these days.

Whilst it's frustrating not to get excited over rumours as fans, I much prefer being surprise ala Isak last summer. It's better for everyone, but mainly the club.