Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

It’s been made clear the January transfers were about staying up and acting quickly, it wasn’t about long term planning.

Pope came in over the summer but as a GK it’s a bit different. I’d expect new signings to be more like Botman and Isak in age profile - and you see that in the bids over the summer, Maddison (25), Joao Pedro (21), Diaby (23), Ekitike (20).

Doubt the plan is to buy players who are at their peak now, instead it’ll be to bring in younger players who can have long careers at the club 

9 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

Nearly every single signing we've made has been a more senior player. Targett (27), Burn (30), Pope (30), Wood (30), Trippier (31). So I hardly see it as against the profile.

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

Competiton for the wide areas? We're allowed more than one good player per position now:sweetjesus:

I'd look at him as cover for any of the attacking positions, quality cover though.

Don't want to see Miggy dropped with the way he's playing atm unless it's for Diaby.

Cant see him taking ASMs spot when fit. We also have Isak that can play anywhere up top.

My current preference is to focus solely on improving the starting XI, which will then naturally give us strength in depth as existing players drop down the pecking order. So keep the coin and put it into a top signing, Maddison/Diaby type.

Would be an interesting fit in our midfield. Certainly not an out-n-out CDM, more of a box-to-box shuttler. I’m sure Howe could get a tune out of him. I’ve not watched him with Juve this season, but it seems he’s been running hot and cold (much like Juve themselves).

5 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Players will be really wanting to join now based on form and the feel good around the club. 

This is the start of Howe’s and our real challenge. How to determine the glory-hunting bandwagon-jumping mercenaries from those players with good character. Players that came when we were crap you know they had good character and we’re up for a fight and a project. How do you tell good character when you’re joining a team based in Europe and on the up?

Looks like Ekitike would’ve been a bad character to sign. And there’s going to be more like him interested in us in future

ed: spelling

Edited by greydos

Not sure why I’m saying this but he seems like a Villa signing.

I like his versatility and there’s a lot for Howe to work with but it just seems like every good season he has is followed by a poor one. His 20/21 (?) season he looked amazing but hasn’t been anywhere near since.

Centre-mid is such an important position; I’d rather we get an absolute blockbuster of a player in the 35m+ Tier than gamble on someone like McKennie tbh.

1 hour ago, healthyaddiction said:

Nearly every single signing we've made has been a more senior player. Targett (27), Burn (30), Pope (30), Wood (30), Trippier (31). So I hardly see it as against the profile.

I think three of those were January ‘stay-up’ rather than ‘new-normal’ strategy signings and the other’s a keeper who tend to have a longer top level playing career. 

2 hours ago, healthyaddiction said:

Disagree personally. The moves for Botman and Isak (and other players we went for) this summer show a shift to bringing the average age down compared to January when we needed an injection of seniority. Pope is slightly different because he's a goalkeeper where age isn't as crucial and there also isn't huge value considerations in keepers.

I think we'd look at Trossard if the price was right but I definitely think we'd prefer players under 25 from now on (and rightly we should do).

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

For a long time he flattered to deceive. The type to look dangerous but have little end product.

But that part of his game is improving. 

This season is easily his best, but he has been on an upward trajectory past few. Felt very much like a Brighton player prior to this year, a lot of build up but nothing to go with it. I still think he's no world beater but he's definitely improved his returns, thign for me would be is this year a turning point and his direction or has the beginning of the season and all that Brighton were doing been kind to him. 

Id rather Diaby, like, but Trossard would improve us. Wouldnt want to be paying a high amount but if he's coming to the end of his contract it's probably a solid addition for decent money.

Ashworth made clear recently that we have to be open to selling players and it will happen. That's why you should generally look to make big investment in 22-25 age bracket first teamers and then have a lot more cheap punts in the 16-21 bracket (see Kuol).

28 isn't a great age generally to sign a player at because you're buying at a premium but also writing off any future value. Indeed sometimes players in their 30s are better value because at least the sunk cost is lessened so you can accept it being a write off for the benefit they bring (see Trippier and Burn).

Obviously with his contract situation Trossard could still represent good value - but definitely depends on the price for me.