Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, madras said:

No guarantee he'd get larger wages  plus as he hadn't asked for a transfer he'd get a decent chunk of any fee plus bonuses etc. and his next 6months wouldn't be dead time.

Surely there'd be more clubs taking an interest and prepared to pay him a greater salary/sign on fee if there was no transfer fee?

Still talk of a £20m fee in Jan isn't there?

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I’d prefer us to wait and go for Macallister in the summer, but Tielemans would still be a great signing imo.

You've got to think Brighton would be commanding north of £70m each for him and Caicedo which, when you add in the Potter/Ashworth/Back of House fees + Cucarella etc, means they've got to have a shit tonne of cash lying about for them to reinvest in their model.

If they reinvest successfully, they could be a serious outfit.

That Tony Bloom fella has been incredible for them.

7 minutes ago, madras said:

No guarantee he'd get larger wages  plus as he hadn't asked for a transfer he'd get a decent chunk of any fee plus bonuses etc. and his next 6months wouldn't be dead time.

Of course he’d get larger wages- that’s the whole point of footballers running their contract down, no? They can spend a smaller percentage of cash on the wages rather than an inflated transfer fee? 

6 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Surely there'd be more clubs taking an interest and prepared to pay him a greater salary/sign on fee if there was no transfer fee?

Still talk of a £20m fee in Jan isn't there?

I'd be surprised if its that high a fee and for the clubs we are talking about even the fact that he's cheaper because of short time remaining will be built into any package.

8 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Of course he’d get larger wages- that’s the whole point of footballers running their contract down, no? They can spend a smaller percentage of cash on the wages rather than an inflated transfer fee? 

Wheres the guarantee. Say for example we want him now but by the Summer we don't, Champs league clubs decide they don't want him and he's left looking at mid table clubs rather than higher and the wages on offer there.

Sometimes players don't run their contract down if they get a move they want.

Edited by madras

Just now, madras said:

Wheres the guarantee. Say for example we want him now but by the Summer we don't, Champs league clubs decide they don't want him and he's left looming at mid table clubs rather than higher and the wages on offer there.

Sometimes players don't run their contract down if they get a move they want.

I guess there’s zero guarantees, but you’d think he’d know before his contract actually ran out whether or not clubs would be interested, and what kind of wages they’d be offering. 

Just now, Manxst said:

I guess there’s zero guarantees, but you’d think he’d know before his contract actually ran out whether or not clubs would be interested, and what kind of wages they’d be offering. 

And that's the gamble. Lots change in 5months. We were desperate for Lingaard in January, not in the Summer.

8 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Don’t have to worry about going for Tielemans anymore. 

Burnsie tweeted we’ve initiated contact with Leicester so that guarantees he’s off to Arsenal

God, it's been so long since the Summer I almost forgot about that mental and all his alt accounts that chat to each other back and forth. 

On 29/12/2022 at 20:17, Major Eyeswater said:

Tielemans would be a decent signing for you. I say this because you need deep enough pockets to sign and pay someone to play in his place, during the long periods of poor form he delivers. On his day, he is up there with th best, the rest of the time, a passenger. We cant cope with this, but our elite coach picks him whether hes in form or out. 

Don't have a strong opinion on Tielemans myself, but just wondering why this post from a few days ago seems to have been almost completely ignored.

1 minute ago, DahnSahf said:

Don't have a strong opinion on Tielemans myself, but just wondering why this post from a few days ago seems to have been almost completely ignored.

It’s similar to what half the forum are saying, in fairness. 

Still think we'll be after a young defensively minded CM after looking like missing out on Perrone (interest not confirmed obviously but it seemed strong rumours). K. Thuram fits that bill but someone maybe even younger like Ugochukwu or Mbamba. Chotard seems decent too. Like the look of Seiwald but he's probably more in the Bruno mould where he can play the DCM position well but probably get a bit more out of him going forward from central. 

6 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Still think we'll be after a young defensively minded CM after looking like missing out on Perrone (interest not confirmed obviously but it seemed strong rumours). K. Thuram fits that bill but someone maybe even younger like Ugochukwu or Mbamba. Chotard seems decent too. Like the look of Seiwald but he's probably more in the Bruno mould where he can play the DCM position well but probably get a bit more out of him going forward from central. 

Got be La La La La La Mbamba surely. 

I'd be pleased with Tielemans as he's got the ability on the ball that we desperately need from our DM.

One reason I've been wary of moving Bruno is that I don't want to lose his ability on the ball in that role but Tielemans would mean that it wasn't an issue.

My favourite DMs are ones capable of playing 8 so Tielemans would tick that box. I think our midfield is pretty good,so I don't see DM a must-spend-big transformative position and the priority is replacing injured Shelvey.

If there is money, I think it needs to go towards getting more goals in the team.

24 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Is Tielemans a DM though, I’ve always thought he was more of a number 8 who can score goals? 

The way Howe likes to play he'd be great in the DM spot for us IMO.

As we see when Bruno plays there, the role is more about being able to be the foundation of our attacks, taking the ball from the defense and getting it forward effectively and providing an outlet when we're in attack if we need to go backwards.

We don't really need a true ball winning bruiser in that spot as much of the ball winning is done through our pressing as a unit. Tielemans is pretty decent defensively, much like Bruno.

On the ball he'd get plenty of chances to shoot from distance and would be able to offer something similar to the passing that Bruno does in that role.

28 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I don't see DM a must-spend-big transformative position and the priority is replacing injured Shelvey.

Our biggest needs are someone to cover for ASM and Miggy, a midfielder, and cover for Trippier. Signing a forward means they are behind ASM and Miggy and won't transform the team much unless there is an injury. rb for trippier isn't going to play much. a midfielder could plug in right away and Joelinton, Tielemans, Bruno > Joelinton, Longstaff, Bruno and it also solves an injury problem. If Shelvey starts two more times, he triggers his next year's contract. While he has been with the club for a long time, he just cannot be in the long term plans for a championship seeking club. It is possible to buy a forward that puts ASM or Miggy on the bench but how much would that tranform the team? I think the much bigger gap lies between Tielemans and Longstaff (or Willock if you like). We simply don't need Shelvey next season.  Would really love to see two bargain purchases: Tielemans in the midfield and Cody Dramah as cover for Trippier. Both players want out and both clubs risk running down those contracts.

8 minutes ago, Shak said:

The way Howe likes to play he'd be great in the DM spot for us IMO.

As we see when Bruno plays there, the role is more about being able to be the foundation of our attacks, taking the ball from the defense and getting it forward effectively and providing an outlet when we're in attack if we need to go backwards.

We don't really need a true ball winning bruiser in that spot as much of the ball winning is done through our pressing as a unit. Tielemans is pretty decent defensively, much like Bruno.

On the ball he'd get plenty of chances to shoot from distance and would be able to offer something similar to the passing that Bruno does in that role.

If you had a really defensive DM a la Declan Roce type you could have a much more attacking LB though, so it’s a question of balance in the side