Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

13 minutes ago, Big River said:

I kind of agree, but I’m trying to imagine him under Howe. it’s almost a guarantee that he’ll improve his overall game, fitness level, and work rate.

Let's just assume the normal career for a top player means breaking into the top flight at about 19ish? Then he continues to play at that level for the next 10 years solid. That would make him about 29-30ish right now, that's not abnormal imo. 

It's not a pop at Tielemans per se, it's just he's already played as many top-flight games right now as you'd normally expect a 29-30 year old pro to have done. It's not a sleight on him, he's quality but I just think he's peaked and won't improve enough to justify the money he'd cost. We need to sign the 19 year old equivalent of Tielemans. Which I'm annoyed that it might just have been Perrone... :hmm:

Just in general, it’s absolute shit that financial fair play handcuffs up and coming teams who want to make a splash while not functioning as a meaningful restraint against the clubs already rolling in CL money. It’s an incredibly anti-competitive system.

1 minute ago, oldtype said:

Just in general, it’s absolute shit that financial fair play handcuffs up and coming teams who want to make a splash while not functioning as a meaningful restraint against the clubs already rolling in CL money. It’s an incredibly anti-competitive system.

Surprised it hasn’t been challenged in court yet tbf. 

7 minutes ago, midds said:

Just for context:

Tielemans 321 top flight games and he's 25

Maddison 145 top flight games and he's 26

H. Barnes 126 top flight games and he's 25

Get your point, but would we knock back say Jude Bellingham in a few years time for the same reason?

4 minutes ago, oldtype said:

You just described it’s core purpose.

5 minutes ago, oldtype said:

The shit that Chelsea are pulling makes a mockery of the whole system.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Get your point, but would we knock back say Jude Bellingham in a few years time for the same reason?

Depends how well he's performing tbh. Bellingham now is phenomenal and has 76 top flight games at 19. We'd need to see where he was in 250 games time to compare them but he's the exact type of talent we should be looking to sign if it's even remotely possible :thup:

These days, we seem to be linked with every fucker out there. I can't keep up. 

I'll just see who is actually signed by the end of the month and pay less attention to the gossip / speculation / outright bullshit as appropriate. 

I'll say one thing - if we get less than what we expected (whatever that is), that only tells me that this team has done enough already to earn the support it gets. The general consensus is that we're ahead of schedule. Remember what they said at the start - patience is a virtue! 

Two players who we have been linked with recently, have the same agent as Wood and Trippier, that's Maddison and Jorginho.

The likelihood is that it's agents putting their clients out there but one name also on that list who entirely fits the profile of player we are looking at is Eze of Crystal Palace.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/caa-base-ltd/beraterfirma/berater/674

Edit: Another player on their list which would fit our profile is Kyle Walker-Peters, who can play right back and left back.

Edited by STM

2 minutes ago, Billy Warthog said:

These days, we seem to be linked with every fucker out there. I can't keep up. 

I'll just see who is actually signed by the end of the month and pay less attention to the gossip / speculation / outright bullshit as appropriate. 

I'll say one thing - if we get less than what we expected (whatever that is), that only tells me that this team has done enough already to earn the support it gets. The general consensus is that we're ahead of schedule. Remember what they said at the start - patience is a virtue! 

Agreed - way ahead of schedule and that’s with some dead wood (pun intended) we still need to get rid of. 

It’s just the nature of modern football that clubs that are looking to spend will get linked with everybody. Every competently run club in Europe will know who the best pickups from most major leagues are now and every club with similar spending capacity will have a similar big board of transfer targets. It’s not too hard to guess who the players NUFC wants to buy are.

Things aren’t like they were say, twenty years ago, where you could get to a transfer target first because your rivals had legitimately never even heard of him. Or even ten years ago, where if you squinted really hard, you could convince yourself that we were buying decent French players because of Graham Carr’s scouting network.

Being “linked” doesn’t really mean that much on the modern context. Everyone is evaluating everyone and considering everyone all the time.

Edited by oldtype

40 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Surprised it hasn’t been challenged in court yet tbf. 

I think at some point, it will and it will be us. We're probably gathering as much evidence as possible before doing so. 

11 minutes ago, oldtype said:

It’s just the nature of modern football that clubs that are looking to spend will get linked with everybody. Every competently run club in Europe will know who the best pickups from most major leagues are now and every club with similar spending capacity will have a similar big board of transfer targets. It’s not too hard to guess who the players NUFC wants to buy are.

Things aren’t like they were say, twenty years ago, where you could get to a transfer target first because your rivals had legitimately never even heard of him. Or even ten years ago, where if you squinted really hard, you could convince yourself that we were buying decent French players because of Graham Carr’s scouting network.

Being “linked” doesn’t really mean that much on the modern context. Everyone is evaluating everyone and considering everyone all the time.

You have a point. The lazy journos out there will use the word 'linked' to give an atom of credibility to an otherwise steaming pile of bollocks. 

The way Eddie keeps mentioning FFP, seems we can't keep buying 40 million quid players all the time. Gotta start finding some cheaper gems that are already developed and ready to play first team football. I wonder if we have the scouting for it, or if that kind of player even exists anymore. 

1 hour ago, oldtype said:

It's functioning exactly as intended.

2 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

The way Eddie keeps mentioning FFP, seems we can't keep buying 40 million quid players all the time. Gotta start finding some cheaper gems that are already developed and ready to play first team football. I wonder if we have the scouting for it, or if that kind of player even exists anymore. 

We are scouting for cheaper gems (however so are every club), but ignore what Howe says in the press conferences as he's been saying it since day one (it's not stopped us so far) and it's been done purposely so that other clubs will not have our eyes out. If there is a player available at the price the club value him at, then the deal will be done. 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

We are scouting for cheaper gems (however so are every club), but ignore what Howe says in the press conferences as he's been saying it since day one (it's not stopped us so far) and it's been done purposely so that other clubs will not have our eyes out. If there is a player available at the price the club value him at, then the deal will be done. 

This! 

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

It's functioning exactly as intended.

Exactly this. For all the bullshit they spout about it being important in stopping clubs getting into financial difficulty, it's prime reason for existing is to make it as hard as possible for teams to upset the established top teams.

29 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Surely we’ve learned our lesson from last Summer after they fed the local journo’s ‘we’re skint’ for months and they all bought it. If the player’s right for the squad they’ll spend what they want.

PIF have just spunked $784m on golf in the first year of the LIV tour alone. GOLF ffs. Year ONE.

Hell, they've spent over $200m just to get one old Portuguese bloke to run in circles in 45 degrees of heat in front of 8,000 disinterested people.

Yeah, we're going to be prudent with our transfer business....

FFP isn't a thing in Golf. What the PIF have done there would be the equivalent of creating their own Premier League in football. Like it or not, until we have our commercial ducks in a row (and start consistently qualifying for Europe), FFP will be a pain in the arse.

Do you really think it's likely that Eddie's constant FFP chat is enough to fool other clubs that we can't spend, and they'll not strong arm us over prices? We all know it and we're just some plebs on a forum. 

Ayoze, Bassong, Cabaye, Cisse, Tiote. Fuck, Schar is the best example of the lot. They were all bought on the cheap (I think...) and did well.

We've already started the buying potential future wonder kids, and we've bought good players for fairly high fees. We just seem to be lacking in the 'unearthing gems' department. 

I love an underdog.