Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

If we qualify for the Champions League there’s no FFP concerns, we’ll be fiddling income left right and centre. In theory even Europa League allows us to sign Arsenal/Man Utd level of sponsorship deals.

4 minutes ago, KDT said:

If we qualify for the Champions League there’s no FFP concerns, we’ll be fiddling income left right and centre. In theory even Europa League allows us to sign Arsenal/Man Utd level of sponsorship deals.

It won't, I'm afraid.  Qualifying will not see the PL ratifying sponsorship deals that are at Man Utd levels - it would take many years of sustained success to be able to argue that we're at that point.  Which is why the club would be daft to do anything other than short-term (1-3 year) deals - the shorter the better.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that other clubs get to decide what 'fair market value' is strikes me as uncompetitive practice, but as it stands that's where we are.

47 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’ve taken against Thurman, on the basis of not very much at all, he looks decent but doesn’t look like the finished article to me. Getting him, even on a free, would I fear prevent us getting an absolute goal scoring beast—like Osimhen (most exciting young but ‘finished article’ striker out there). I appreciate he may be beyond us, but I’d prefer someone else, who looked a safer bet, even Ramos. 

No idea why some of you keep talking about Osimhen.

I don't understand how you lot can be so out of touch with the level of certain players and the kind of clubs they are going to be looking to join next. It's so strange. 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Genuinely think McTominay's game is more suited to the way we play than JWP's is. 

He’s a rich man’s Longstaff. All of the running and graft but with the bonuses of leadership, elite passing and vision (not to mention the set-pieces). He’d fit in like a glove; we’ve got enough athleticism with Willock and Joelinton, we need more quality on the ball and chance creation imo.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Mediocre footballer with a decent dead ball ability.  Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole for anything more than 20m

Sorry. That’s a ridiculous opinion. He’s not mediocre at all. 

Ward-Prowse has been held back by a poor Southampton team and the fact that they have mostly used him in a midfield two.

He's a good player as is, but in a midfield three with freedom to get forward more, and also being in a better team, he'll be very very good. Very underrated.

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Sorry. That’s a ridiculous opinion. He’s not mediocre at all. 

He's 28 years old and played his entire career at Southampton, looking like one of their better players but in a consistently below average PL side.  In PL terms, he's bang average - zero chance he goes to a Sky Six side if sold.  

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Mediocre footballer with a decent dead ball ability.  Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole for anything more than 20m

Said it before and I'll say it again, you lot have some serious disdain for players from your own shores. It's extraordinary :lol:

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

He’s a rich man’s Longstaff. All of the running and graft but with the bonuses of leadership, elite passing and vision (not to mention the set-pieces). He’d fit in like a glove; we’ve got enough athleticism with Willock and Joelinton, we need more quality on the ball and chance creation imo.

McTominay is in the same sort of mould as Joelinton. He's a physical, athletic lad who can carry the ball and be a bit of a nuisance, but he isn't particularly good with the ball at his feet. I wouldn't want us to sign him because I don't think he better or has a higher potential ceiling than anyone already at the club. 

JWP is much better on the ball, isn't afraid to get a shot off and is class from set pieces, but I don't see where he fits into a a high pressing 4-3-3. 

JWP is by far the better football, but McTominay is more in line with the profile of player we'll be looking at. If we could get a bit of a hybrid such as Kone, that'd be ideal. 

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Ward-Prowse has been held back by a poor Southampton team and the fact that they have mostly used him in a midfield two.

He's a good player as is, but in a midfield three with freedom to get forward more, and also being in a better team, he'll be very very good. Very underrated.

We can make better signings with a bit more long term thinking. Not sure if he has the legs to play for us further ahead. Not worth the investment. Get someone younger imo.

Edited by Ikon

Just now, KaKa said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, you lot have some serious disdain for players from your own shores. It's extraordinary :lol:

I'm scratching my head at that one, Kaka.  His being English has nothing to do with it - he's not as good as Bellingham, Mount, Rice, Phillips, Maddison, Gallagher etc.  He's not as good as Willock.

I don't rate the bloke particularly highly, beyond his ability to take a decent FK.  Other opinions do exist though :) 

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Stats-wise he’s the fittest player in the league. Most distance covered by any PL player for 3 seasons in a row now and has ridiculous passing and shooting ability. He’s as complete as midfielders get.

JWP is the 'complete' midfielder.  Heard it all now :) 

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

We can make better signings with a bit more long term thinking. Not sure if he has the legs to play for us, never mind a couple of years from now.  Not worth the investment. 

Covers the most distance of any pl player in the league for the third season running. I’ll give you that he may not be the most athletic but he certainly has “the legs”.

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Stats-wise he’s the fittest player in the league. Most distance covered by any PL player for 3 seasons in a row now and has ridiculous passing and shooting ability. He’s as complete as midfielders get.

I think people just see Southampton struggling and see his freekicks on match of the day and so think that's all he does. They are not watching games outside of the top teams.

He's a quality player. Hope he gets a decent move because he definitely deserves to be able to really showcase his game in matches that more people actually watch.

7 minutes ago, McCormick said:

So why is it none of the bigger clubs have made a bid for him do you think?

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

JWP is the 'complete' midfielder.  Heard it all now :) 

In what way is he not complete?

Close control? Check

Passing?  Check check

Vision? Check check

Stamina/ graft? Check check

Defensive ability? Check (ish)

Long distance shooting? Check

Leadership: check

set piece ability? Check check check

I’d say his only weakness is elite athleticism (in terms of pace and power) otherwise I’d say he’s pretty complete.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm scratching my head at that one, Kaka.  His being English has nothing to do with it - he's not as good as Bellingham, Mount, Rice, Phillips, Maddison, Gallagher etc.  He's not as good as Willock.

I don't rate the bloke particularly highly, beyond his ability to take a decent FK.  Other opinions do exist though :) 

Joe Willock is not better than James Ward-Prowse. No chance. Neither is Gallagher to be honest, and I would maybe even argue Mount isn't.