Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

19 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

He's never scored more than 5 in a top flight season (He averages 4). Still an upgrade on Longstaff of course who averages <1. I personally don't think we need to prioritise goals from any prospective 6; get an athletic duel winner who recycles possession well and let Bruno + the 3 forwards bring the goals.

I think we could go Neves deeper, freeing up Bruno to get further forward, then rotate between Willock and Joelinton as the third midfielder depending on the opposition/situation. 

35 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Think he's really good, but him and Bruno would probably be the slowest midfield duo in the league. Rather sign a CM with a bit of pace.

Agree, Neves is technically a good player, but if we want to play a high press, I don't think you can have him and Bruno in the same midfield.

13 hours ago, STM said:

So far their transfer strategy has been top notch. They aren't changing it FFS.

Funny how I saw Howe talking about FFP constraints again..... for the 4th window in a row.

Like it or not, we're going to hear about FFP until we get our commercial revenues up to a decent level. Our previous owner fucked us royally and our revenue streams are shit for the size and scope of our club. That's where FFP comes in.

Also, we'll still spend loads this summer. No point in us advertising to the world that we're flush with cash and are easy marks. 

You don't need an abundance of pace in midfield:

Kroos-----Casemiro-----Modric

Iniesta-----Busquets-----Xavi

Silva-----Fernandinho-----KDB

Some of the best midfields of the modern era and they're hardly full of pace merchants are they?

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You don't need an abundance of pace in midfield:

Kroos-----Casemiro-----Modric

Iniesta-----Busquets-----Xavi

Silva-----Fernandinho-----KDB

Some of the best midfields of the modern era and they're hardly full of pace merchants are they?

But the level of technical excellence there is exceptional.  And incredibly expensive to buy. Also, I think you're being unfair on both KDB and Fernandinho. Both had plenty of gas when younger.

I'm aware Barca developed those players. Harder than buying them tbh.

5 minutes ago, Lotus said:

But the level of technical excellence there is exceptional.  And incredibly expensive to buy. Also, I think you're being unfair on both KDB and Fernandinho. Both had plenty of gas when younger.

I'm aware Barca developed those players. Harder than buying them tbh.

That's not my point though, it's that a quality midfield doesn't require an abundance of pace. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

That's not my point though, it's that a quality midfield doesn't require an abundance of pace. 

And my point is in the absence of an obscene transfer budget and/or and legendary youth system, athleticism is a great asset that can balance the midfield battle out somewhat.

We can also argue that strikers don't need to be quick, or good in the air if their anticipation and positioning is truly exceptional. And their 1st touch is that much better than everyone around them.

Same for defenders. They can slow af. 

Rarely see it though. 

10 minutes ago, Lotus said:

And my point is in the absence of an obscene transfer budget and/or and legendary youth system, athleticism is a great asset that can balance the midfield battle out somewhat.

We can also argue that strikers don't need to be quick, or good in the air if their anticipation and positioning is truly exceptional. And their 1st touch is that much better than everyone around them.

Same for defenders. They can slow af. 

Rarely see it though. 

Fair enough.

I guess it's kind of if irrelevant when it appears that How is set on a physical, athletic side. 

37 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Fair enough.

I guess it's kind of if irrelevant when it appears that How is set on a physical, athletic side. 

It does seem that way. I think you get more bang for your back with measurables like pace and stamina though.

Tbf, Bruno and Batman are not 'quick'. Bruno certainly isn't and they are probably our most important players.

11 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Chronicle reporting that there are "reports" that we've bid 88m for Oshimen

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-hit-headlines-italy-26540584

*if you want to get aids from their aids website

Considering he cost Napoli 70m 2-3 years ago, and would now likely fetch close to double that, i'd suggest that's utter bollocks.