Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Edwards reckons two big signings and the rest bargain hunting. I think that'll be about right. 

Two big signings in a transfer window is pretty decent unless you're Chelsea, and if the bargains turn out to be anything like Pope I'll be happy with that.

Am I naive to think there's not some sort of system (phone, email, the famous fax), where we say to a club, we offer £40m, will you accept?". They reply then we either up it or pull out. Just never get what is involved in 'preparing' a bid. 

40 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Personally I would be very happy with say Arda Guler, Dominic Szoboszlai, Alcaraz and a good LB and CB that don’t necessarily need to be very expensive either if we get the right ones in. A quality LB that is more attack minded and a RCB. 

Would be quite worried with Alcaraz as the only CM/DM signing.

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Am I naive to think there's not some sort of system (phone, email, the famous fax), where we say to a club, we offer £40m, will you accept?". They reply then we either up it or pull out. Just never get what is involved in 'preparing' a bid. 

Yeah, I don’t think preparing is a real thing. I’m not sure bidding is a real thing TBH. You contact the club, would they be willing to sell, then you discuss a deal. 

I imagine anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Sometimes but quite often it’s via players agents. They’ll go for contract renewal talks and if they say their client isn’t wanting to re-sign then I’d imagine the club say if he wants a move it will be ball park this amount.

IIRC the reason we moved for Maddison it was his agent feeding us he was available for around £29m or thereabouts as a base figure then the auction began and we stopped when it went beyond £40m.

Valuations are usually dictated by either contract situation or a recent high sale of a comparable player.

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

A "deal in principle" perhaps, but an formal offer will go across numerous desks to make sure it's watertight.

6 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

We did, but I'll be amazed if he's ready to be Trippier's backup. Much rather spend some dough on that Spanish lad.

He’s 22 in November so if he isn’t ready soon he never will be.

If we were to try and buy McTominay, how much do you honestly think Man U would sell him to us for? I can't imagine it would be cheap giving how much theyve fucked us around in recent windows. 

This makes me think we're not going to spunk £40m on him if we're trying to spend carefully. 

Edited by Schecter

7 minutes ago, Schecter said:

If we were to try and buy McTominay, how much do you honestly think Man U would sell him to us for? I can't imagine it would be cheap giving how much theyve fucked us around in recent windows. 

This makes me think we're not going to spunk £40m on him if we're trying to spend carefully. 

If the people calling the shots there had anything about them, they’d look at how ‘fucking us around’ worked out in relation to Lingard, and realise that taking a sensible approach would be a far better course of action.

I won’t hold my breath though….

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I read an article couple of years ago which gave a rough outline. If I find it, I will post it. It appears the first point of contact is the approximate wage range, and this is often done informally through the agent. If the wage expectations dont match, then the clubs don't bother anymore. 

With respect to the actual bid, how you structure the payment has a bigger impact than the total amount. For example, we bought Jota only because Wolves were willing to spread the payment over multiple years. For Diaz and Mac Allister, we paid a big lumpsum upfront. Diaz's lumpsum was to help Porto with meeting FFP. Not quite sure why Brighton needed a significant amount upfront. Maybe that is the way they do business. With Coutinho, Barca paid a significant amount upfront. LFC then "sold" the rest of the Barca debt to a finance company which paid LFC a lumpsum, and then Barca paid the finance company. Not sure why that happened, and it might potentially be at Barca's request due to their finances.

The other thing I read is that free transfers are sort of very expensive due to initial bonus's, high wages etc and better to stay away unless the player is a special talent.  

Guest dazzanufc1892
40 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

By the way remember what Fabian Schar cost? 

best 3m we spent in a long time

1 hour ago, LV said:

Luke Fucking Edwards. Esquire! 

Putting my occasional defence of Edwards to one side 🙂 EH has said himself improving the squad this window will be harder and not just financially. I think he said himself he expected no more than 2-3 first team squad additions and if able to look to bolster a little bit below that. JR on the podcast said we’ve got to be smarter than other teams and make our £ go further than theirs. Also adding the profile of the player to fit in with the mentality of the squad we currently have just as important as their ability.

I personally think/thought we’d spend £150m if it’s 3 of our number 1 targets. Rarely do windows go that well unless you are  at the top table which despite premature ECL qualification we are not. Our new shirt sponsor alone is £40m per year less than Man City’s.

I’m not daft in thinking our media have been briefed to quote conservative budgets but those thinking we are signing 4-6 first team squad additions are living with the fairies.

How do you see the window playing out? 

17 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Putting my occasional defence of Edwards to one side 🙂 EH has said himself improving the squad this window will be harder and not just financially. I think he said himself he expected no more than 2-3 first team squad additions and if able to look to bolster a little bit below that. JR on the podcast said we’ve got to be smarter than other teams and make our £ go further than theirs. Also adding the profile of the player to fit in with the mentality of the squad we currently have just as important as their ability.

I personally think/thought we’d spend £150m if it’s 3 of our number 1 targets. Rarely do windows go that well unless you are  at the top table which despite premature ECL qualification we are not. Our new shirt sponsor alone is £40m per year less than Man City’s.

I’m not daft in thinking our media have been briefed to quote conservative budgets but those thinking we are signing 4-6 first team squad additions are living with the fairies.

How do you see the window playing out? 

Personally think one big-ish signing of about 40-45m and then a couple of smaller bargain types maybe picked up from relegated teams.

Would not be surprised to see ASM go either 

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

Yep. Two midfielders. Tall. Strong. Fast. They’ll monitor the LB situation (and fast CB) also in case they only find one midfielder they want or push boat out and get all three if the opportunity arises. Cheap deal on a 3rd striker either at youthful end like Rodrygo kind of deal (£3m release) or bring an older one back on a free like Perez. Those kinds of deals.

Are you talking about Rodrigo at Leeds? He's hardly youthful, he's 32 

Just now, Skeletor said:

Also I like him but I don't like the idea of having both starting CBs being left footed.

Same but strangely I have less an issue if we had two right footed CB's

Though, Left/Right combo is best