Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

3 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Nah, they want glory. To be the best. On and off the pitch. No malo. 

That doesn’t mean throwing loads and loads of money at it.  Man City failed at the beginning because they signed ‘name’ mercenaries- and we’re starting from a lower base.  Buying a load of expensive players right now is more likely to fail than succeed.  Sensible and proportionate squad building is the way forward.

And that’s precisely what they’re doing, in fairness.  While I think the £75m budget stuff is gamesmanship, the real budget isn’t likely to be too much more due to FFP

12 minutes ago, Cronky said:

More on Szoboszlai fwiw. I get the feeling we're front-runners, whereas I'm not so sure when it comes to Maddison.

https://sportwitness.co.uk/newcastle-preparing-make-staggering-offer-midfielder-club-will-make-good-use-money/

He does seem like he’s our Isak type signing for midfield. Mind Maddison also seems tailor made for us and I doubt we get both. It’ll be interesting to see how this develops 

18 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

He does seem like he’s our Isak type signing for midfield. Mind Maddison also seems tailor made for us and I doubt we get both. It’ll be interesting to see how this develops 

Yeah, it'd be great to have both. I think Spurs can still outbid us for Maddison, in terms of wages and transfer fee, and we don't want to be jerked around in a bidding war. This talk of him wanting to move to London has been around for a while too. Unless the player is strongly motivated to join us, I suspect we'll miss out.

8 hours ago, aussiemag said:

What is the minimum offer you would accept for our key players? 

Pope - 30 mill

Trippier - 25 mill

Schar - 20 mill

Botman - 80 mill

Burn - 10 mill

Targett - 10 mill

Bruno - 120 mill

Joelinton - 70 mill

Willock - 40 mill

Longstaff - 40 mill

ASM - 40 mill

Almiron - 35 mill

Gordan - 35 mill

Murphy - 15 mill

Isak -  120 mill

Wilson - 30 mill

IMO

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That doesn’t mean throwing loads and loads of money at it.  Man City failed at the beginning because they signed ‘name’ mercenaries- and we’re starting from a lower base.  Buying a load of expensive players right now is more likely to fail than succeed.  Sensible and proportionate squad building is the way forward.

And that’s precisely what they’re doing, in fairness.  While I think the £75m budget stuff is gamesmanship, the real budget isn’t likely to be too much more due to FFP

I agree and we’ll see are my immediate thoughts. 
In that sensible (as in required upgrades/back-ups) squad building with a bigger war chest than many expect is the way we’ll go. I don’t know what the eventual spend will be this summer, and to be honest I don’t understand the real parameters of FFP, I do think it’ll end up closer to twice the figure you quote though. Whatever the number ends up being it’s going to be really exciting.

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

I agree and we’ll see are my immediate thoughts. 
In that sensible (as in required upgrades/back-ups) squad building with a bigger war chest than many expect is the way we’ll go. I don’t know what the eventual spend will be this summer, and to be honest I don’t understand the real parameters of FFP, I do think it’ll end up closer to twice the figure you quote though. Whatever the number ends up being it’s going to be really exciting.

Yeah, I’ve wrote on here before I reckon £100-120m is likely and £150m if the right players are available.  £75m seems to be clear bullshitting.  

12 minutes ago, gbandit said:

The only one I disagree with is Willock as I believe he’s got the potential to go on another level and be worth even more. He’s so close to being an absolute beast

He’s an excellent footballer - if the lad continues to develop he’ll be an England squad player at a minimum by the end of next season. 

18 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Yeah, it'd be great to have both. I think Spurs can still outbid us for Maddison, in terms of wages and transfer fee, and we don't want to be jerked around in a bidding war. This talk of him wanting to move to London has been around for a while too. Unless the player is strongly motivated to join us, I suspect we'll miss out.

Yes it may come down to some personal stuff, wife wanting to move to London or whatnot plus I agree Spurs will throw more money at him fee and wages wise because that’s the only way they’ll get him. To be fair if he goes to Spurs then it kind of simplifies things, he didn’t want to come to us anyway and maybe we aren’t that arsed.

Footballing wise it seems a no brainer to come to us at the moment, in champions league, stalwart England players already here, on the up, immense home atmosphere. I think if we genuinely want him we’ll probably get him if he wants to come because Spurs are a damp squib currently. 

Any commercial deals they have lined up dictate how far they will go imo. Man U are getting £24m a season for their training kit sponsor - if we get even half of that it pays the £60m fee for Szobozlai over 5 years. 

25 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Szoboszlai would be my preference - can’t quite believe we’re in for a player like that.  Could easily see him being one of the best attacking midfielders on the planet in a couple of years.  Maddison would be a good signing - Szoboszlai an incredible for me. 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Szoboszlai would be my preference - can’t quite believe we’re in for a player like that.  Could easily see him being one of the best attacking midfielders on the planet in a couple of years.  Maddison would be a good signing - Szoboszlai an incredible for me. 

I think if they think they can genuinely get him then he’ll be one of the star signings and a player they’d probably choose over someone like Maddison. That’s just a hunch and not based on anything. 

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

I think if they think they can genuinely get him then he’ll be one of the star signings and a player they’d probably choose over someone like Maddison. That’s just a hunch and not based on anything. 

Yeah, agreed.  He’d be the big summer signing I’d think.  I’ve got the feeling that we’ve moved on from Maddison after the bid last summer. 

2 minutes ago, sempuki said:

Going to guess that's Man U side briefing. They were apparently pretty pissed Maguire has told them he wants to stay rather than go somewhere like Villa, so will likely be trying to drum up interest from other CL clubs.

Just now, sushimonster85 said:

Going to guess that's Man U side briefing. They were apparently pretty pissed Maguire has told them he wants to stay rather than go somewhere like Villa, so will likely be trying to drum up interest from other CL clubs.

Fair assumption. Zero appetite for this one, rather get Schurrs from Torino thanks.

2 minutes ago, sempuki said:

Makes sense if we can get decent money for Lascelles. Doubt it will happen, but surely a player with such big game experience would be great cover/an option especially if getting them in didn’t dent available spends for other positions? 

We should be nowhere near the cast offs of the top 6 clubs, especially their players who are on downward spiral, when for a similar price we can get the players they are chasing, or are at least somewhere on their list.

Maguire wouldn’t make any sense at all, even on loan.

What we would need in any upgrade to Schar is someone with pace and Maguire doesn’t have that, he also doesn’t have the long range passing ability of Schar that we use to switch play. 

He is the exact opposite of what we need.

15 minutes ago, Stifler said:

We should be nowhere near the cast offs of the top 6 clubs, especially their players who are on downward spiral, when for a similar price we can get the players they are chasing, or are at least somewhere on their list.

This 100% - we have be there - done that.