Newcastle United 2-0 Nottingham Forest (06/08/2022)

loki679

Guest HTT II

Brilliant performance and a great win, totally dominant. I thought Miggy was our best player quickly followed by Bruno. Joelinton was, well Joelinton. ASM was less huffy, more economical and looking to pass more. Wilson scored, but he was often isolated and anonymous which is a worry.

As dominant as we were, we did struggle to break them down and I worry about that, we clearly need attacking players and particularly a playmaker. I fear we will struggle against teams who do a Forest with 10 men behind the ball unless we get those players, otherwise we may need to rethink going back to more of a counter attacking team.

But that’s in our armour anyway and I’m sure we will continue to develop different tactics and game plans to suit whoever we play.

Willock had a very good game and I loved how interchangeable we were in terms of players swapping positions and roles, basically we were very fluid and some of our play was brilliant, until we got to their box where it was often Wilson alone in there. But we fully deserved that win and if Forest set up like that regularly they will go straight back down, they were piss poor.

Regarding our former old boy Colback, I thought he was their best player on and off the ball, never misplaced a pass, he did play it safe a lot mind, but tackled well and intercepted well off the ball. Lingard is clearly not match fit and did fuck all, but you could see in advanced positions his quality where he played a few key balls forward. I’m glad we dodged that one, however. 

All in all a great performance with some great football, playing much higher up, at a quicker tempo and we look super fit, united, organised, tactically switched on and every player is bang up for it, we cannot, however, rest on this, we need 2-3 extra high quality attacking additions badly.

Well done Howe, his staff, the players and Wor Flags for the display. How good is it to be back, the sun is shining, we won and this promises to be an exciting season based on this display. Howay The Lads!

Edited by HTT II

Forrest fans have certainly changed their tune. Only took them one game to realise half their players aren't going to be good enough. 

Alot of the time under Bruce and Rafa when we would win, opposition fans would moan that we were lucky or didn't deserve it. They seem to unanimously agree we are a European place chasing team.

I feel like saying Trippier and Bruno were excellent is pointless, so I'll pick another player out.... Willock, who I thought was tireless especially in the first half.

5 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Most complete performance I can remember, possibly ever. Every single stat ludicrously in our favour and I can't remember an opposing side failing to lay a glove on us like that before.

Excellent game management and made to look like a piece of piss - this must be what a proper pre season can do versus last year's opener.

Carried on from the Arsenal game. Clean sheets. Domiant.  In the end the goals that reflected that. Two different level of opponents and we just carry on.

The only issues was whether the footballing gods would allow us to score, the bit we can control, we've been excellent in.

When was the last time we cruised to a win like that? Dominated every facet of the match and deserved to win by 4 or 5. 

I love the way we dominated possession and were still able to create a bunch of chances. We've not been asked to play that way much and in the past we struggled when we weren't allowed to play on the counter. This was a real show of force. We've been on the other side of these against Manchester City or Liverpool, it's nice to hand them out.

Almiron was full of running as usual but his lack of end product continues to be a problem. Upgrade him and we are a legitimate European threat. 

:lol: How did I completely miss Lingard joining Forest on a one year deal? Why do I get the feeling he'll be kicking himself come the end of the season for not taking whatever long term deal West Ham were prepared to offer him. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, Tiresias said:

Also what more can be written about big Joelinton? An absolute beast. 

And havent even raved about Schar and Burn yet...

If only he could finish…

Bit of a hot take from BBC here:

A Fabian Schar wondergoal and Callum Wilson's deft finish broke newly promoted Nottingham Forest's stubborn resistance as Newcastle opened their Premier League campaign with a deserved victory at St James' Park.

Just now, Memphis said:

I love the way we dominated possession and were still able to create a bunch of chances.

This 100%. I hate Tiki Taka, as it is possession for possession's sake and can be easily nullified by defending with a deep midfield, but what we did today is the real deal - dominate the midfield and quick, incisive forward balls down the middle and both flanks.

As many have said, we're a top striker away from routinely pasting teams 4 or 5 nil.

4 minutes ago, dave s said:

Miggy is a different  player with Bruno sliding those cheeky balls through. Maybe this is what he needed 

Just needs to take the shot when he has the chance, could've scored 2 if he wasn't afraid his right foot would fall off when he hit it.

Thought we controlled the game really well and very interested to see us against better opposition. Could possibly breeze past Brighton or get a little wake-up call about how shit Forest are, but I think we will do Brighton as well.

Almiron is so efficient now that Howe has taught him how to run in the correct directions, predict his value to soar this season.

Schär has to be the main man at the back for us, the question should be who starts with him.

I do think one problem we are going to have against these sorts of sides is the lack of finishers though, especially from range. Pretty much all of our attackers and midfielders seem unable to fire in a Bullet shot like Schär did. I even include Wilson in that. Shelvey, Longstaff and Trippier are the only other players not really suffering from shooting like they have a pillow on their foot, Willock especially annoyed me today. :lol:

There was a big question on Maxi whether he could be a Howe player, and im thinking he will prove that he can be mostly. Did well in decision-making, and worked a lot harder than last season.

Ratings from me:

Pope 7

Trippier 8

Schär 10

Burn 8

Targett 8

Joe 8

Willock 8

Bruno 9

Maxi 8

Almiron 8

Wilson 8

3 minutes ago, wormy said:

:lol: How did I completely miss Lingard joining Forest on a one year deal? Why do I get the feeling he'll be kicking himself come the end of the season for not taking whatever long term deal West Ham were prepared to offer him. 

How indeed

JLINGZ%20shirt%20name%20(6).jpg

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Bit of a hot take from BBC here:

A Fabian Schar wondergoal and Callum Wilson's deft finish broke newly promoted Nottingham Forest's stubborn resistance as Newcastle opened their Premier League campaign with a deserved victory at St James' Park.

I'd say that's pretty much right. A mention of how much we dominated wouldn't have gone amiss but in general they were stubborn defensively.