Newcastle United 2-0 Nottingham Forest (06/08/2022)

loki679

Giving Bruno a 7 is absolutely comical like :lol:

Even more so nowadays given the ease we can all access match data. We pinned Forest in for 90 minutes becuase every player on the pitch grafted their bollocks off, moved well and were great in possession.

Trippier was involved loads too. 5.5 is insane.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I don't mind Craig Hope and at least he had the bollocks to call out Bruce on his general shitness.  But I have often found his takes to be very glass half empty and negative.  Just needlessly pessimistic or a bit contrarian, seemingly for the sake of it.  It's like he goes against the grain for clicks and publicity.   

I know it's the sports pages, so it's different.  But it does kind of make sense when you look at the paper he writes for.  

1 hour ago, Solitude20 said:

Those progression via carry vs progression via pass stats confirm my doubts, Willock is our weakest point in the current team, not Miggy.

Sometimes you have to go back to those numbers to have a bigger picture, and I always believed adding an attacking midfielder will add more to our current team than adding a right winger since Willock doesn’t add much to the way Eddie plays.

Let’s go back to the basics and ask, what does Willock offer? He can run with the ball in free spaces/ counter attacks, and he is decent in front of the goal. Since Howe came, we have been playing a possession based football, and just like against Forest, we spent the majority of the game in their half passing the ball around and looking for holes in their defense. Here the ability of Willock to run in empty spaces becomes less important. Why did Arsenal sell him when he was a graduate of their academy? Because (and the numbers show) he isn’t a great passer. He lacks the composure or technical ability to play that type of football. He might be better suited for a team that will play on counter attacks, which was the case for Newcastle before the takeover.  Even his greatest strength (ball carrying) was low against Forest because we cornered them in their area and did not allow them to move forward and create those spaces.

ASM on the other hand had outstanding ball carry stats because he relies on his excellent dribbling skills to carry the ball, and that was crucial against Forest in order to penetrate their defenses. But Willock generally relies on speed to carry the ball. There was no space for him to sprint. In such games, we need players who are great at passing or great at dribbling , and Willock offers niether of those things. 

this ,in my opinion, explains why we are in for the likes of Maddison who would add a lot more to the game had he been with us last weekend. What’s a midfielder doing if he isn’t progressing the ball through passing or carrying? Joe is a monster at winning the ball back, and that indirectly adds to our possession. Bruno is tasked to play deeper. We must add a more creative midfielder upfront. Willock can be useful in games where we are not expected to win possession for those counter attacks, he could make a great sub then. 

He should have been a much bigger presence in the box, on saturday. 

Anyway, on the game.  I thought Forest were utter shite, like embarrassingly bad.  But then bar some sloppy play in the final third, we were brilliant from start to finish. 

So how much of their awfulness was due to our high energy and press?  And how much of it was due to them having Jack Colback, Sam Surridge and plenty of other Championship level players starting in the Premier League?  

As usual, it's probably somewhere in the middle.  But Hope has gone for the edgy take and gave out a load of L'Equipe style player ratings. 

5 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

It’s the justification rather than the rating itself that’s irksome. In a routine 2-0 win, it’s unlikely anyone’ll warrant a 10, so a seven for him makes sense. 

But to say people are getting carried away by flicks and whatnot is unnecessary. He was everywhere and played a massive part in us controlling the game.

Maybe it's just because he's making points that we now disagree with but feels like his general tone has shifted a bit towards being a bit more antagonistic over the summer. Ultimately, he writes for the Daily Mail...

He also gave Trips a 5.5, what did he do that was so poor to get that rating? He had some lovely interchanges with Almiron and Bruno. His set-pieces where poor, but everything else he did was decent :lol: 

Bossed the game, almost 100 touches, made three chances from DM, did all the dirty work he needed to at a high level. 7/10

Joelinton getting a 7 is hilarious as well :lol:

2 hours ago, 54 said:

He also gave Trips a 5.5, what did he do that was so poor to get that rating? He had some lovely interchanges with Almiron and Bruno. His set-pieces where poor, but everything else he did was decent :lol: 

Must admit I thought he had a very poor first half, gave the ball away about 3 or 4 times and looked a bit off the pace, second half he seemed to sort himself out though.

3 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Giving Bruno a 7 is absolutely comical like :lol:

Even more so nowadays given the ease we can all access match data. We pinned Forest in for 90 minutes becuase every player on the pitch grafted their bollocks off, moved well and were great in possession.

Trippier was involved loads too. 5.5 is insane.

Bruno was 8/8.5 material Saturday. Trippier did have a poor first hour or more and was our weakest performer on the day.

Said to my mate about 25 minutes in "wish we had more Trippier's at the club, he's absolute world class"; he then proceeded to give the ball away 3 times in the next 10 minutes. After that he was back to being brilliant again though.

Two days late, but I don't care (I doubt you bastards do either). My take on the performance:

6 Pope. Did what very little he had to do perfectly.

6.5 Trippier. Always looks dangerous. Gave the ball away a couple of times. Not tested defensively. 

7 Burn. Excellent defending when someone tried to beat him on the outside, otherwise not tested. The floated set penis needs to fuck off, just try and headbutt the ball in to the fucking goal, man!

8 Schar. Absolute thunderbastard of a shot. Not tested defensively, 

7 Targett. Not tested defensively. Did the low key right things further up the pitch.

8 Willock. Didn't look out of place in one of the most dominant midfield displays I can remember, which speaks volumes about this young man.

9 Joelinton. Absolute monster. Like an adult in a children's game. Won a ridiculous amount of turnovers. Great movement up front too. Could have scored a worldy if he didn't snatch at it. Defo a CM rather than a CF.

9 Bruno. Could walk into any team in world football, no joke. Vision is second to none right now.

8 ASM. Had his critics (me included) close season. Answered them in spades. Mega effort, pressed, never stropped. A real threat. If he further develops his end product, he will be world class.

8 Almiron. Top drawer movement and effort. Always a threat. Needs to trust his right foot and just leather it.

7.5 Wilson. Quiet apart from an exquisitely taken goal, which is what CFs do, I suppose...