Newcastle United 2-0 Nottingham Forest (06/08/2022)

loki679

53 minutes ago, Heron said:

So, after a covid-induced, frustration-filled afternoon of scrambling aroond a dodgy box trying to get a half decent stream of a game I was desperate to (and should) have been at, I sit here, surprisingly smitten at a performance that looked very Man City in all but the final passage of each play.

Pope was very commanding of his area and did whatever he had to, despite being really tested. (6)

Trippier and Targett were steady away, but never really had to show any level of their defensive class. Both provided decent balls into the box and passes. (6)

Schar (8) and Burn (7) were both absolutely dominant despite being particularly tested but both offered calmness and a foundation for us to attack from. Despite multiple chances for what seemed, somewhat nervy finishing Schar sends a rocket right in the top bin.

Willock - a funny one for me. He's just seems like a quiet lad who enjoys playing football, isn't a bastard, isn't a world beater, isn't Mr Creativity, isn't a bull in a china shop, just like pleasant :lol: he's a decent player but I'm not entirely sure of his role. It works though. He was a (6) for me as I thought he really never had to excel himself.

Joelinton, from a biased perspective perhaps, was a (7) for me. Again, didn't really have to display his levels of quality but was just a presence everywhere on the pitch. He's gone from being like a tamed beast to an uncaged animal and seemingly an influential member of the team, if not by voice by demonstrating the type of attitude and attributes any football fan should appreciate.

Bruno (8) not even in second gear I felt, but just controlled the game, pulled the strings, oozed class, I think I have a pure man crush on him like, he's quite literally one of the best Newcastle players I've seen in my lifetime, if this form continues.

Miggy looked so much more coordinated today, as we've seen pre-season, he's developed a real understanding of where to be and when, and when to use his explosive energy and when to simply position himself better. I thought he should have shot with his right in the Leazes, but aside from that caused a lot of problems and defended from the front, really setting the tone for the team to squeeze the life our of Forests performance. (7)

ASM - I think the commentator said it when I finally found a stream that worked: "Just doing what ASM does" think that says enough... (6)

Wilson (6) never really felt he had the service today but also never felt he had the sharpness, then he scored that goal with such a top drawer finish. I actually think a sharp Wilson in a top side is almost on par with Kane tbh. Laugh as you may. A good 3months will see him at the world cup. Hopefully not though, he's ours, fuck England. :lol:

Cannot be arsed to do subs so they can all have a 6. Howe gets an 11 cause he's a beautiful man and now I'm getting my final brown ale from the fridge. Congratulations on reading this far.

EIEIEIO...

Areet, Mr. Bailey. 

There was no stand out player today for me. It was just a very professional team performance and everybody played their part. :thup: 

I have never seen us have such team unity before. Howe has transformed this squad in less than 12 months.

Edited by Klaus

1 hour ago, Heron said:

On another note, today was a massive lesson to Forest, who seemed to lack absolutely everything. Maybe it'll click with the newer players in time, but after the other two promoted sides got decent results today they're already up against it. 

They were fucking shit.

If we had attacking reinforcements, or had positioned ourselves better in the box, they would have been left behind in the 1st half alone.

I know they have bought a new squad and it will take time for them to gel, but if they play like that then they will get well and truly spanked week in week out, and will compete against Derby’s last go in the top flight.

Edited by Stifler

1 hour ago, Heron said:

On another note, today was a massive lesson to Forest, who seemed to lack absolutely everything. Maybe it'll click with the newer players in time, but after the other two promoted sides got decent results today they're already up against it. 

Home form will be the key for them I think.

People keep saying Forest were rubbish, but I think they'll come to find that the work Howe has done is being underestimated.  

We finally got to see the majority of our better players all play together since they were strategically split throughout pre-season. I think we are going to be a massive headache for teams this season.

They were rubbish to be fair, it's not the greatest gauge of our level. I got really frustrated at the media reaction to our hammering of arsenal last season though, when all the talk was how bad arsenal were when they were far better than forest here, and we played really really well like today. We played how I want us to play, we were aggressive, pressed effectively controlled the game. You can't ask more, and if we play like that every game (we won't) we will get plenty of points this season. We will also have poor performances, bad luck and just get turned over sometimes but that leaves me so confident that we will be one day doing that with a more complete squad with depth (god we lack depth if either of the two brazilian gods get injured we will drop points) and be doing that regularly to most teams in the league

They were poor but our off the ball work was brilliant. If we lost a 50/50, we had a man dropping into the space where the ball was headed, Joelinton in particular did really well at this. If Miggy pressed, Trippier pushed in front of their winger to cut out the short ball. They were left with limited options to go short and we had no trouble when they went long. 

Better sides will work around the press but I don’t think we will approach a City or Liverpool game with the same defensive work as shown today. 

I know it's only one game against, let's face it, a shit team. But my god, it feels so good to start the season off well. If we can add the much needed quality in attack, then I think we could be in for a very fun season. I can't wait.

22 minutes ago, Stifler said:

They were fucking shit.

If we had attacking reinforcements, or had positioned ourselves better in the box, they would have been left behind in the 1st half alone.

I know they have bought a new squad and it will take time for them to gel, but if they play like that then they will get well and truly spanked week in week out, and will compete against Derby’s last go in the top flight.

Well at least they won't get 4 points from us.