Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45347238

Udinese's Rolando Mandragora suspended for 'blasphemous remarks'

It is not unheard of for players to be suspended for head-butting, drop-kicking fans, or even biting - if you're a certain Luis Suarez...

But being suspended for "blasphemous remarks" might just be a first.

Former Juventus midfielder Rolando Mandragora has been suspended for one Serie A game after he was caught on television cameras shouting "Porca Madonna, Vaffanculo, Dio Cane", an insult to the Virgin Mary, while also referring to God as a dog.

The outburst from the Italy international came after Sampdoria goalkeeper Emil Eudero saved his shot in a game which Mandragora's side, Udinese, won 1-0.

The remarks initially went unnoticed by officials during the match, but the Lega Serie A - the competition's governing body - later took the incident to review and suspended the 21-year-old.

"After acquiring and examining the relevant television images, the player, while cursing without referring to anybody around him, was nevertheless clearly seen by the television images to make blasphemous remarks, visibly identifiable from reading his lips without any margin for reasonable doubt," a disciplinary report from the Lega Serie A said.

Mandragora, who won the Serie A and Italian Cup with Juventus in 2017, has spent last season on loan to Crotone before signing for Udinese last month. He has one cap for Italy.

"Mandragora is a good person, the most he deserved was a warning," said Udinese coach Daniele Prade.

There is a strict ban on taking God's name in vain in Italy, and since 2010, the country's football association has disciplined players and coaches heard doing so.

Former Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon has been forced to apologise in the past for uttering the word "Dio" (God). Although, he did once claim that he had in fact said "Zio" - which means uncle.

"I apologise. If one day I will have the good fortune to meet God, he will be the one to decide whether to forgive me," Buffon said at the time.

Two years ago, Italy rugby captain Sergio Parisse was forced to apologise after being filmed uttering a blasphemous phrase before a Six Nations game against France.

And, according to the Italian FA's rules, players who wear t-shirts with personal messages to their family, or which make a reference to their religious beliefs, will also be punished.

It's not unusual for European countries have blasphemy laws on the statute book, but it is rare that they are invoked.

From wikipedia:

Legal status

Until 1999, uttering blasphemies in public was considered a criminal misdemeanor in Italy (although enforcement was all but non-existent), while nowadays it has been downgraded to an administrative misdemeanor. Some local administrations still ban the practice. For example, after the curate complained about the frequency of blasphemous profanity in the parish recreation centre, the comune of Brignano Gera d'Adda banned the practice in the civic centre and in all places of retail business, be it public or private.[51] As of July 2011, the laws in force in Italy identifies as a bestemmia only the profanities related directly to God. Any insult to Mary or the various saints do not actually represent a bestemmia or any violation of existing laws and rules.[52]

We still have some questionable anti-blasphemy laws in our books, but not at that level!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45347238

Udinese's Rolando Mandragora suspended for 'blasphemous remarks'

It is not unheard of for players to be suspended for head-butting, drop-kicking fans, or even biting - if you're a certain Luis Suarez...

But being suspended for "blasphemous remarks" might just be a first.

Former Juventus midfielder Rolando Mandragora has been suspended for one Serie A game after he was caught on television cameras shouting "Porca Madonna, Vaffanculo, Dio Cane", an insult to the Virgin Mary, while also referring to God as a dog.

The outburst from the Italy international came after Sampdoria goalkeeper Emil Eudero saved his shot in a game which Mandragora's side, Udinese, won 1-0.

The remarks initially went unnoticed by officials during the match, but the Lega Serie A - the competition's governing body - later took the incident to review and suspended the 21-year-old.

"After acquiring and examining the relevant television images, the player, while cursing without referring to anybody around him, was nevertheless clearly seen by the television images to make blasphemous remarks, visibly identifiable from reading his lips without any margin for reasonable doubt," a disciplinary report from the Lega Serie A said.

Mandragora, who won the Serie A and Italian Cup with Juventus in 2017, has spent last season on loan to Crotone before signing for Udinese last month. He has one cap for Italy.

"Mandragora is a good person, the most he deserved was a warning," said Udinese coach Daniele Prade.

There is a strict ban on taking God's name in vain in Italy, and since 2010, the country's football association has disciplined players and coaches heard doing so.

Former Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon has been forced to apologise in the past for uttering the word "Dio" (God). Although, he did once claim that he had in fact said "Zio" - which means uncle.

"I apologise. If one day I will have the good fortune to meet God, he will be the one to decide whether to forgive me," Buffon said at the time.

Two years ago, Italy rugby captain Sergio Parisse was forced to apologise after being filmed uttering a blasphemous phrase before a Six Nations game against France.

And, according to the Italian FA's rules, players who wear t-shirts with personal messages to their family, or which make a reference to their religious beliefs, will also be punished.

It's not unusual for European countries have blasphemy laws on the statute book, but it is rare that they are invoked.

Jesus Christ.

*ban*

Found the info about possession stats on the Totally Football Show pretty interesting. Didn't know the stat is based purely on how many passes have been made by each side.

So when Clark’s 50 yard long balls take 5 seconds to arrive at Joselu and Chelsea make 4 passes in that time, the stats show 80-20 in Chelsea’s favour? That explains Sunday then. Really it’s 50-50.

Guest firetotheworks

Found the info about possession stats on the Totally Football Show pretty interesting. Didn't know the stat is based purely on how many passes have been made by each side.

Was just gonna post about this. I didn't know this either. It seems pretty flawed to me.

So it's purely a ratio of passes made? Interesting. The relative time spent on the ball doesn't come into it then. I don't know how I imagined it was worked out, tbf, and that seems like the easiest way.

Does someone actually count the number of passes in a game or do they have a computer doing that these days?