Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

Weirdly, he's probably a manager that would benefit from director of football intervention. A Kante-type and a commanding defender over the past decade and they'd have picked up a couple of League Titles imo.

As Man Utd found when replacing Fergie, continuing a dynasty isn't easy.

I think he'd take a helluva lot of replacing personally. Even with these so called 'super-coaches' such as Klopp and Pep, they haven't found it easy in our football to date.

I think he's earned the right to leave on his terms given what he's done for that club.

difference is Fergie was winning the league right to the end Wenger is nowhere near winning the league.

I hear that but surely nobody can argue his overall legacy is a hugely positive one? This, to me at least, buys him the opportunity to call it a day rather than be shuffled off to the French FA or wherever.

I think he'd take a helluva lot of replacing personally. Even with these so called 'super-coaches' such as Klopp and Pep, they haven't found it easy in our football to date.

I think he's earned the right to leave on his terms given what he's done for that club.

difference is Fergie was winning the league right to the end Wenger is nowhere near winning the league.

I hear that but surely nobody can argue his overall legacy is a hugely positive one? This, to me at least, buys him the opportunity to call it a day rather than be shuffled off to the French FA or wherever.

How long do you give him though? Do you allow him to keep working at Arsenal into his 70s because of the good work he did at the club yet haven't won a league title for over a decade?

I'm just not very comfortable with the assumed knowledge other clubs' fans seem to have of Arsenal. After so many years of 4th and not progressing, you can see exactly why people want a change. The fact Wenger has been a legendary manager shouldnt be used as a reason not to change; likewise I don't think the vast majority of anti-Wenger fans are being vindictive. I'm sure they know all too well what Wenger has done for them.

Pundits like Neville, while articulate in their point, are obviously going to get on the wick of passionate fans when he essentially says they should be happy with their lot.

It's a fair point and well put, but I think there are divisions within the Wenger Out camp. A lot of them have had it so good, for so long - in some case their whole football-supporting lives - that they are in for a rude awakening when he leaves, and they experience the wilderness for the first time.

In recent seasons, Arsenal have splashed a bit of serious cash, but so have four or five other sides. For the majority of his tenure, when a lot of the grumbles started, he's had them punching above their financial weight. He's not perfect, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want a change, but I wouldn't personally if I were an Arsenal fan.

Guest neesy111

How long do you give him though? Do you allow him to keep working at Arsenal into his 70s because of the good work he did at the club yet haven't won a league title for over a decade?

Yeap, Arsenal for me for the first time in years need to take some risks in the way they run their football. 

Tough one. I'd say it has to be mutually agreed to allow for his successor to be found and then headhunted.

As has been said, I thought Klopp would've been a great appointment for them, given the type of football etc but there's no guarantee that anybody would do any better than him. It's not hard to do worse than him though.

For all of the obvious frustrations, if he was a new foreign manager appointed last summer, I'd say most Arsenal fans would say he was progressing well :lol: as mad as that sounds.

It's easy to let these, latter-year, complaints tarnish what's been a wonderful career and a fantastic part of premier league history.

Guest neesy111

I'm just not very comfortable with the assumed knowledge other clubs' fans seem to have of Arsenal. After so many years of 4th and not progressing, you can see exactly why people want a change. The fact Wenger has been a legendary manager shouldnt be used as a reason not to change; likewise I don't think the vast majority of anti-Wenger fans are being vindictive. I'm sure they know all too well what Wenger has done for them.

Pundits like Neville, while articulate in their point, are obviously going to get on the wick of passionate fans when he essentially says they should be happy with their lot.

It's a fair point and well put, but I think there are divisions within the Wenger Out camp. A lot of them have had it so good, for so long - in some case their whole football-supporting lives - that they are in for a rude awakening when he leaves, and they experience the wilderness for the first time.

In recent seasons, Arsenal have splashed a bit of serious cash, but so have four or five other sides. For the majority of his tenure, when a lot of the grumbles started, he's had them punching above their financial weight. He's not perfect, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want a change, but I wouldn't personally if I were an Arsenal fan.

Those fans who bought season tickets when they moved to the Emirates were promised it would create extra investment in the playing side which didn't happen.

Arsenal fans frustration is equally at their board especially at Stan Kroenke.  Some parallels with us an ashley.

Weirdly, he's probably a manager that would benefit from director of football intervention. A Kante-type and a commanding defender over the past decade and they'd have picked up a couple of League Titles imo.

They should give Dennis Wise a call.

The Telegraph have published a slideshow about the top 20 candidates Arsenal might go for (with a banter Paul Merson and Phil Thompson dream team nomination) if Wenger leaves if anyone is interested:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/07/next-arsenal-manager-twenty-potential-long-term-replacements/

Ancelotti was my first thought for them, like and they've got him at no.1. Perfect choice in pretty much every way.

What would you guys think is the main NUFC forum, not necessarily the best, but the main one, the one where most opposition fans would browse? I see this board has currently got 30 members online and 70 guests, whereas RTG has currently got 420 members and over 1000 guests. Obviously that is their main one and pretty much the only one i'm aware of and we do seem to have 5 or 6 ones of similar membership numbers.

I think Arsenal Fan TV is embarrassing and cringey and I would hate our club to have a version but I don't agree that Neville should be criticising some Arsenal fans for wanting Wenger to leave.

Arsenal clearly need a change because they've been doing the exact same thing in the league for about a decade. I can barely remember the last time they genuinely contested for the title, must be over 10 years

I'd love for Newcastle to have one. The Arsenal channel has actually got the pundits attention. Usually the pundits have no idea what the fans actually think and ignore the fans. They use cliches to describe us and everyone else. The channel does a good job of getting a range of reactions and don't try to have an agenda. It's basically a loud in your face forum when you think about it with all the characters they have.

They're making a difference. This week I heard Rio, Ian Wright and Neville talking about them. I feel like those guys don't remember that we came second twice and were finishing in the top four in the 2000s. They say we should be happy finishing 17th and proud of it as that's where we're usually around.

There's probably money in it, too. Youtube sponsorships, merchandise, etc. Looks like The True Geordie is doing big things. He probably does it full time now.

I agree. Even under Ashley we had a top 7 wage bill in the PL. Someone needed to state loudly that you can't have the 7th highest wage bill and be satisfied with 13th and not taking the cups seriously.

Arsenal fan TV is funny as well. I've met Troopz and he's a funny and passionate dude. Who stands for the many Arsenal fans that have spent a shitloads of money over the last decade watching a disappointing team.

Guest neesy111

I agree. Even under Ashley we had a top 7 wage bill in the PL. Someone needed to state loudly that you can't have the 7th highest wage bill and be satisfied with 13th and not taking the cups seriously.

Arsenal fan TV is funny as well. I've met Troopz and he's a funny and passionate dude. Who stands for the many Arsenal fans that have spent a shitloads of money over the last decade watching a disappointing team.

:thup: