Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

I got the feeling he was never especially keen on us, like.

Other way around for me. His wife supports Newcastle.

Gold, Sullivan and Brady have basically killed West Ham United like. Having a shit team is one thing, that's a temporary issue that can be put right, but what they've done in moving them and knocking down Upton Park was a fucking crime. That club was really unique in its location and now it's gone.

The reason given for moving to new stadia is always about extra money for the team and how they can't compete without it. Of the current top six, miles ahead of everyone else, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea are in the same place they've always been, Spurs are in the process of moving so we'll have to wait and see (though at least the new stadium is yards from the old one) and Arsenal's demise can be pinpointed almost exactly to the moment they moved house into a bland bowl. Man City entered a cheat code and don't really count.

Meanwhile the arse end of the Premier League and the Championship is riddled with clubs who bulldozed their homes, moved into a shiny new stadium next door to a Frankie and Benny's five miles out of town and now not only have they got a crap team, they've sold their identity down the river for 10,000 extra seats which hardly even matter since the TV money went through the roof.

I hope we never move.

Appreciate I’m late to the party, but what a great post this is. Well in, Wull.

What about clubs like Hull, Stoke, Wigan, Swansea, Huddersfield, Brighton, Boro, Southampton, where moving stadium to bigger 'bowls' has allowed them to compete at the top end of English football?

How dare these little clubs have ideas above their stations show ambition and take the places of historic clubs who've f***ed things up off their own back (Forest, Leeds, Sheff Wed, etc). :lol:

What about clubs like Hull, Stoke, Wigan, Swansea, Huddersfield, Brighton, Boro, Southampton, where moving stadium to bigger 'bowls' has allowed them to compete at the top end of English football?

How dare these little clubs have ideas above their stations show ambition and take the places of historic clubs who've f***ed things up off their own back (Forest, Leeds, Sheff Wed, etc). :lol:

What makes you think that? I mean that it was the move that made the difference?

Changing stadium can play it's part in helping you push on as a club, but no way the sole contributor for success. Can never have the cart before the horse.

The two aren't mutually exclusive either. I dare say had Forest, Wednesday or Leeds United been run as well as Southampton had been in their time out of the PL, they would have been able to bounce back from hitting League 1 to the Premier League regardless of the age or comparative state of decay of their grounds.

In those three examples of clubs, they've grounds sizeable enough anyway. Their realistically never going to spend hundreds of millions on a stadium slightly bigger/smaller when surely they'd make developments/upgrades available to their grounds first - even if they do make the PL.

I meant that as in sometimes it's as though some people don't like the fact these clubs have had their places taken by those jumped up little upstarts having ideas above their station.

Bournemouth are a very rare instance. And even they're in the process of moving to a ground with twice the capacity to try making things more sustainable.

Do you think Juninho & Ravanelli would have played at Ayresome Park for instance?

How much would they have been paid?

Ravanelli was the highest paid player in the PL when he signed for Boro which is mad when you think about it. He was always slagging off the club and area too.

Would Boro have been in a position to pay that without the stadium move, becoming more attractive and bigger sponsorship money from the likes of Cellnet?

It’s a fair point, actually. Stadium attendances probably mattered much more then. Suspect still mainly about TV money though and an owner with ambition, willing to put his hand in his own pocket/subsidise the current income.

Gold, Sullivan and Brady have basically killed West Ham United like. Having a s*** team is one thing, that's a temporary issue that can be put right, but what they've done in moving them and knocking down Upton Park was a f***ing crime. That club was really unique in its location and now it's gone.

The reason given for moving to new stadia is always about extra money for the team and how they can't compete without it. Of the current top six, miles ahead of everyone else, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea are in the same place they've always been, Spurs are in the process of moving so we'll have to wait and see (though at least the new stadium is yards from the old one) and Arsenal's demise can be pinpointed almost exactly to the moment they moved house into a bland bowl. Man City entered a cheat code and don't really count.

Meanwhile the arse end of the Premier League and the Championship is riddled with clubs who bulldozed their homes, moved into a shiny new stadium next door to a Frankie and Benny's five miles out of town and now not only have they got a crap team, they've sold their identity down the river for 10,000 extra seats which hardly even matter since the TV money went through the roof.

I hope we never move.

Appreciate I’m late to the party, but what a great post this is. Well in, Wull.

Fantastic post, Wullie :clap:

There is simply no way that stadium move benefited, or was ever going to benefit, West Ham. As shit as things are for us now, that club will never be the same again.....even if they do start doing well/win a cup. Because they weren't a notoriously successful club their identity and location was everything to them as a club. Now they've lost that and they're even worse. Finished.

I've said similar things about West Ham in the stadium pron thread for years. And the response was always the same, they need to move to push on. Push on ffs, it was never ever gonna happen.

If we were ever in that position I'd like to think our fans would lay down in front of the bulldozers, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Some of those are a bit tenuous like.

Huddersfield moved home in 1994, Wigan moved to a smaller stadium and Southampton had been in the top flight since 1978 before moving. Brighton's was a forced move after they got turfed out of the (larger) Goldstone Ground.

I take your point though, at the lower end of things it's clearly beneficial in many circumstances.

Some clubs had to move though, be it a mixture of expansion not being possible, not owning the ground etc. A lot of the older grounds were penned in by houses, we were lucky with SJP in that we could always expand around it. If we had got the Byker stadium when NUFC formed instead of SJP would we have moved to a similar bowl type stadium? Would we be out of town just off the A1 or A19?