Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

The fact they can only give the ban if a penalty is awarded is ridiculous

Change the rule from a yellow to a straight red. If he cheats and is pulled up for it, send him off with a 1 match ban.

If he cheats and gets away with it and a penalty is awarded, give him a 2 match ban.

There's probably loads of instances where a player is deemed to have dived and he hasn't dived though so would be harsh to send him off.

Guess it's probably the same as a tackle been given as a red and then rescinded

I've always thought this, and some of the responses here certainly aren't changing my mind,... I think the average sports fan severely underestimates how good professional athletes are at what they do. The speed, the strength, the skill, the consistency.

Matt Le Tissier was asked this by Josh Widdicombe on his football podcast. Josh basically said that he thought, over the course of a season, he thought he would at least get a scruffy tap in from a corner or something. Le Tissier basically said no chance. In a different episode they had a Welsh comedian (Elis James I think) who had played at youth level against Simon Davies and he said he was on a completely different planet to everyone else. Scored from kick off etc.

I used to think similar to a few people on here that I would fancy myself to score one from open play during a season. But, I know someone who has played his entire career in promotion chasing League Two / midtable League One teams. Played 5 a side football against him on a stag do thinking that I wasn't a bad player and it would be interesting to see how good he was. He was ridiculous. Couldn't get near him and he was barely trying. He isn't a particularly quick or physically imposing League One player but he was physically (and technically) miles and miles away from everyone else, despite there being some very fit guys playing. The ball would just be there and then be gone before you even knew it. And this is a League One / Two player playing at half speed. At the top level you just wouldn't touch the ball all game, it would be nicked off you straight away or before it even got to you.

Guest firetotheworks

I knew a lad who went to school with Shola and his school used to just bring him on if they were losing because without fail he'd just take everyone on and score. It's not always the case, I imagine. I went to school with England school boy footballers like David Borley, Mark Rasmussen, Stuart Richardson and a couple of others. All were imo far, far superior to some of the other players who ended up playing Premier League football like Colback and Ramage. I've mentioned him a few times on here, but David Borley should have ended up being a household name, he was unbelievably talented.

I've always thought this, and some of the responses here certainly aren't changing my mind,... I think the average sports fan severely underestimates how good professional athletes are at what they do. The speed, the strength, the skill, the consistency.

Matt Le Tissier was asked this by Josh Widdicombe on his football podcast. Josh basically said that he thought, over the course of a season, he thought he would at least get a scruffy tap in from a corner or something. Le Tissier basically said no chance. In a different episode they had a Welsh comedian (Elis James I think) who had played at youth level against Simon Davies and he said he was on a completely different planet to everyone else. Scored from kick off etc.

I used to think similar to a few people on here that I would fancy myself to score one from open play during a season. But, I know someone who has played his entire career in promotion chasing League Two / midtable League One teams. Played 5 a side football against him on a stag do thinking that I wasn't a bad player and it would be interesting to see how good he was. He was ridiculous. Couldn't get near him and he was barely trying. He isn't a particularly quick or physically imposing League One player but he was physically (and technically) miles and miles away from everyone else, despite there being some very fit guys playing. The ball would just be there and then be gone before you even knew it. And this is a League One / Two player playing at half speed. At the top level you just wouldn't touch the ball all game, it would be nicked off you straight away or before it even got to you.

:lol: wait are people on here non jokingly suggesting they'd score a goal in the PL? Not a chance, I doubt they would be able to in league 1. There was a lad who played for Blues for a while that we played against on Sunday and you couldn't even get near him he was that good, and I don't think he made a first team appearance. There's also a lad who plays on wed with us occasionally who was on Southampton's books and he's ludicrously good. The speed, physicality, technical ability at that level is out of this world.

I'm friends with a couple of former scunny united players. Whenever they came for a kickabout with my team they'd pretty much keep it to walking pace and we still couldn't get near them.

I have played against Ray Houghton though (he had probably been retired for 10 years) and I completely outplayed him (shit claim to fame) :)

I knew a lad who went to school with Shola and his school used to just bring him on if they were losing because without fail he'd just take everyone on and score. It's not always the case, I imagine. I went to school with England school boy footballers like David Borley, Mark Rasmussen, Stuart Richardson and a couple of others. All were imo far, far superior to some of the other players who ended up playing Premier League football like Colback and Ramage. I've mentioned him a few times on here, but David Borley should have ended up being a household name, he was unbelievably talented.

Shola was even on the bench for his school :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Shola was even on the bench for his school [emoji38]

[emoji38] Unstoppable in training probably.

I played 5-a-side regularly against a Swiss guy who made something like 5 professional appearances for Sion in his entire career. By this point he was 45 years old, overweight, and could still put the other 9 players to shame twice over. The touch, awareness and balance he had was on a totally different planet.

Googled him cos I recognised the name, played against him in kickabouts a few times.

Fiund this unrelated photo during the search:

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/resources/images/2211449.jpg

Surely the photographer could have just asked them to turn it round

Guest Howaythetoon

I’ve played with and against Bernard mind and you couldn’t get near him and he couldn’t even fucking run. He would score a goal from nothing and his passing, touch and awareness was something else. Fitness wise mind, he was shot. Strong as an ox though. I’ve also played with and against someone who had a series of trials at NUFC academy and he’s probably the best player I’ve played with and against and he couldn’t cut it at pro level. I’d still back myself to score a goal if playing up front for a PL side. Mind I have decent pace (I used to be lightnening) and a high work ethic. I run and run and put myself about. Not a bad finisher either and with both feet as I’m two footed.

Guest firetotheworks

I remember that and being shocked at them putting out the name that he'd claimed to be, because he's a lad that was at the same school. :lol:

But aye, unbelievably good footballer when I was growing up, that's all I know about him really. Madness that Jack Colback was the most successful out of all of them, like.