Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Ok, I get a bit of stick for mentioning this, but so be it.

The Canadian Premier League have announced all but 1 of their initial clubs for the 2019 season. Every summer here though it's the same story where people get fed up of the lack of football, ok this summer was different with England going far in the World Cup, but that's a 1 off. Anyway when the CPL kicks off the majority of the season will in the summer between our football seasons. So I was wondering if I could tempt any of you into trying out picking out a CPL team in order to get your football fix?

I have opted to look out for Forge FC who are based in Hamilton. I picked them because that's where my family live, however, Hamilton and Newcastle have a lot of similarities. First of all, they are similar in population size, but they also have a steep history with shipbuilding, coal, and steel (ok Steel was more of Teesside things).

Anyway, they are named Forge FC in recognition of their steel manufacturing history.

If anyone is interested then you can get a brief rundown of the league and teams on their wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Premier_League

Our football, not their version of American football.

Ok first off it's worth noting that a Geordie and NUFC fan (John Herdman) is their national team manager after having success with their women's team. His aim is the qualify for the 2022 World Cup. FIFA are yet to vote if Canada will be granted an automatic spot in the 2026 World Cup that they will co-host with the USA and Mexico.

The Canadian Premier League (CPL) is a new professional football league that will begin in April 2019. It will be Canada's first fully professional football league, after different attempts were mostly amateur levels, restricted to one region, and surrounded by match-fixing scandals.

The league is expected to eventually take a European style approach, where each club is an individual business rather than a franchise like the MLS. Not only this but eventually it is hoped to lead to a football league system with relegation and promotion.

Unless there are any late changes of plans the league will start off with 8 clubs, 7 of which have been announced, the 8th is strongly rumoured to be Ottawa Fury who are expected to move from the USL. It is rumoured that there could be as many as 20 or 24 teams in the 2nd season.

The confirmed 7 of the 8 teams are as follows; Cavalry FC, FC Edmonton, Forge FC, HFX Wanderers FC, Pacific FC, Valour FC, and York 9.

Cavalry FC are based in Calgary and are named after Calgary's links to the military.

Team colours are green, red, and black.

FC Edmonton are based in Edmonton. There is a club called FC Edmonton already who stopped playing about a year ago due to the collapse of the NASL. The CPL version is owned by the same owners and is expected to be a continuation of the same club. For what it's worth Tomi Ameobi (Shola and Sammy's brother) is the clubs 2nd highest goal scorer with 26 goals.

Team colours are blue, navy, and white.

Forge FC are based in Hamilton Ontario. They are named after the city's history in forging steel. The city of Hamilton is similar to Newcastle. Both have a similar population size, both have a strong history with shipbuilding and coal mines. Forge FC are also one of the two founding clubs of the CPL.

Team colours are orange, platinum (silver), and white.

HFX Wanderers FC are based in Halifax Nova Scotia. They are the most Eastern team to play in the league and as Nova Scotia and Halifax has a strong Scottish connection, maybe this is a team for the Scottish to look out for.

Team colours are Aqua, blue, and grey.

Pacific FC are based on Vancouver Island. Pacific FC will be the most Western team to play in the league and are named after the Pacific Ocean.

Team colours are purple, blue, and white.

Valour FC are based in Winnipeg. They are named after two residents from the same street who were awarded the Victoria Cross during WW1, the street was named Valour in their honour. Valour FC are the 2nd co-founders of the CPL. Valour FC will also have the largest stadium in the CPL.

Team colours are maroon, gold, and black.

York 9 are based in the York region in the Northern suburbs of Toronto. They are named after the 9 districts that make up the York region. Despite being the first club officially announced, they have had the least amount of supporter interest so far.

Team colours are green, grey, and black.

Not announced but expected to be the final team in the original 8 teams is Ottawa Fury.

Ottawa Fury are unsurprisingly based in Ottawa which is Canada's capital city. Ottawa Fury were originally created in 2005, but folded in 2013. They were then re-founded and given new team colours, new badge, and changed stadiums. They also moved to the NASL during this time. The NASL has now collapsed and this season and last season they have been playing in USL. As part of their agreement to play in the USL they had to sign up for at least 2 years. They are currently still playing their 2nd season in the USL and have been signing more Canadian players in the last year. It is expected that they are waiting for the end of the USL season to announce that they are joining the CPL.

If they do join then I expect them to be the biggest team (in terms of stature, finance, player quality, and overall facilities) in the CPL.

Team colours are red with black (this may change if they decide on another re-brand ahead of the CPL season)

It is possible to sign up and put down a $50 CDN refundable deposit down for CPL or team membership where you can have access to exclusive merchandise, and priority access to tickets/season tickets, although UK addresses aren't accepted. For more information go to www.canpl.ca 

I have opted to look out for Forge FC who are based in Hamilton. I picked them because that's why my family live

For your sake I hope they don't move

My family or the team?

My family are on about moving to Stirling in Scotland.

:thup: go on then Stif

Interesting that Ottawa are joining. They’ll probably boss that league for quite a while.

Wonder if they’d ever get to the point of folding the three Canadian MLS into the CPL. Are they planning to compete immediately in the Canadian Championship?

:thup: go on then Stif

Interesting that Ottawa are joining. They’ll probably boss that league for quite a while.

Wonder if they’d ever get to the point of folding the three Canadian MLS into the CPL. Are they planning to compete immediately in the Canadian Championship?

It would take quite a while for the CPL to be strong enough for the Canadian MLS teams to consider switching over. 15-20 years of growth at least I'd say.

All CPL teams will compete in the Canadian Championship, they are even on about changing the format to a single leg knock out round instead of the 2 leg knockout round. I'm not sure if the Canadian MLS teams will still have a round advantage or not though. The CPL are also discussing with CONCACAF for Canada to get a 2nd CONCACAF Champions League place so the CPL winners can qualify.

As you say, if Ottawa Fury does join then I'll expect them to dominate the league for a few years.

I'm leaning towards York 9 as they seem to be a bit of an underdog from that write up.  Are the kits for the teams out yet?

No, we aren't sure if teams will be able to have their own shirt manufacturer deals, or if it will be a central one like the MLS. As they want to go down the European route we could see different manufacturers for different teams which I think may result in more creativity.

As it happens one of Canada's more successful players in modern times is a co-owner of York 9.

It's also worth noting that it's rumoured that David Edgar is in the process of becoming a co-owner of a team based in the tri-cities.

How come I create the thread, it gets taken down and merged with the NWOAT thread as a joke, then it's put back up but Ginola ends up as the original poster of the thread and takes ownership of it?

Not so fun fact: I was in a (comedy) bus crash on Valour.

I played some footy in Winnipeg while there - lots of interest ('coed' was massively popular) and an improving standard. It's a good-sized town for some proper football fervour, imo. Jets fans are mental and, if they can transfer just a proportion of that passion and enthusiasm, they'll be onto a winner.

Anybody been to see any German football? Headed to Berlin for a few days in August and got a couple of tickets to Union's home game against St. Pauli.

Wondering what I can expect. Any advice/info would be great :)