Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Newcastle United (13/08/2022)

BlueStar

General question. How is Miggy going to cross the ball from the right when he has no right foot? I know it's fashionable to have these inverted wingers but wouldn't that be if you had a player that comes inside and has a great shot on them?

1 hour ago, Novocastrian said:

Brighton are a tidy team, well organised, arguably punching significantly above their weight. Ashley didn’t even care about matching a Brighton who are very close to reaching  their ceiling. Are we trying to match Brighton or are we aiming higher?

We're aiming higher, but they've got a 2.5 year headstart, of which we've maybe made up 6 months.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

That’s why he’s so frustrating. He had a good game but was also nowhere near any end product.

Yes, that's why he ultimately needs to be upgraded, but he was still one of our best players today. No one else provided any end product either, and they certainly didn't contribute as much as he did, other than the defence.

Just watched the MOTD highlights and wondered why they've showed every Brighton chance and nothing at all from us, when last weekend we were just as dominant in terms of goal attempts, but they showed all of Forest's three absolutely pitiful chances, so the game looked quite even.

28 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

We're aiming higher, but they've got a 2.5 year headstart, of which we've maybe made up 6 months.

Brighton have never spent over £20m on a player. We’ve already caught up, we now should be leaving them behind. They’re a good team but even this season we should be pushing ahead. 

36 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Brighton have never spent over £20m on a player. We’ve already caught up, we now should be leaving them behind. They’re a good team but even this season we should be pushing ahead. 

Do you honestly think we just need to spend a load of money on players and we'll get there? If so, then maybe getting the bloke responsible for not signing anybody over £20 million was a wrong choice.

Our training facilities were about ten years behind PL standard, they're still working on those improvements. Although Howe tried to downplay it, it's undeniable that the ongoing work will impact the process.

57 minutes ago, bigfella said:

Just watched the MOTD highlights and wondered why they've showed every Brighton chance and nothing at all from us, when last weekend we were just as dominant in terms of goal attempts, but they showed all of Forest's three absolutely pitiful chances, so the game looked quite even.

Seems they wanted an excuse to say Nick Pope as many times as they could, for some reason.

7 hours ago, Novocastrian said:

They've had years working under Potter though, we've had 1 pre-season under Howe.

--- ---

Said it before but until we massively upgrade our attacking line-up we're going to be best when making it difficult for teams off the ball rather than anything we do in possession. Outside of like 3-4 top sides Brighton are probably the best team in the league on the ball, you cannot force them into mistakes as easily and they're just as effective at doing the exact same thing to us.

8 hours ago, bigfella said:

Aye, Wilsons disallowed goal didn't even make the main edit and I think it was harsh it was disallowed, great play by him though.

Guest HTT II

Pope - 7.5 - Some fine point blank saves. Decent throw outs, commanding, but some poor long kicks.

Trippier - 5 - His worst game for us by far, sloppy, poor positioning and clearly off the pace. His leadership though was massive.

Schar - 7 - Solid, decent distribution, good positioning.

Botman - 7 - See above, very calm and measured.

Burn - 7.5 - Our best performer for me, just a beast, if only he had technical heading ability, he wins every header, but doesn’t always direct them well. 

Almiron - 7 - Our best creative player on the day, especially the first half, ran out of legs in the second half, however.

Joelinton - 7 - Didn’t stand out as much as he usually does, but did his stuff all the same. He played far deeper due to how much they swamped our midfield.

Bruno - 5 - Anonymous in the main, lost the ball several times and seemed to struggle with their press. An off day. 

Willock - 5 - See above.

ASM - 5 - Worked hard and tried to play balls in to his team-mates, some got through, most didn’t. Ironically there was times he should have tried to take his man on instead of passing. Pathetic dive too!

Wilson - 5 - Starved of service, isolated, but allowed Dunk to dominate him. Scored a legit goal I thought which was ruled out for a high boot.

Defensively we were very strong and although they had a few chances and the majority of possession we didn’t look like we were under the cosh, however going forward we were so toothless and tactically I thought we got it all wrong, we need two or more quality attacking players badly. 4 points, two clean sheets, unbeaten in two, I’ll take that. 

Edited by HTT II

Probably been said but that kit still clashed a bit I thought. Even watching the highlights on MOTD it was hard to see the difference when in the sun. 

As for the match it seems we are becoming a very difficult team to score against. Looks like Howe has sorted our defence out completely. We look solid and have decent backup. Unfortunately our attack is slightly concerning and definitely needs upgrading. Get 2 quality attacking players and we'll be a real decent team

10 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

Do you honestly think we just need to spend a load of money on players and we'll get there? If so, then maybe getting the bloke responsible for not signing anybody over £20 million was a wrong choice.

Our training facilities were about ten years behind PL standard, they're still working on those improvements. Although Howe tried to downplay it, it's undeniable that the ongoing work will impact the process.

Load of players? No, just two attacking players would do me before the window closes. I’d go for a CAM and a forward who can play through the middle or out wide. I’m sure the hierarchy will manage that before the window closes but it’s frustrating to be two matches in with no progress yet. Howe is so methodical when integrating new players we might be 8 or 9 games in before we have new players in starting positions. That’s my worry.

2 hours ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Probably been said but that kit still clashed a bit I thought. Even watching the highlights on MOTD it was hard to see the difference when in the sun. 

As for the match it seems we are becoming a very difficult team to score against. Looks like Howe has sorted our defence out completely. We look solid and have decent backup. Unfortunately our attack is slightly concerning and definitely needs upgrading. Get 2 quality attacking players and we'll be a real decent team

Agreed. It was absolutely ludicrous not to play in the dark navy away top.

14 hours ago, Novocastrian said:

When was the last time we got close to a £50million fee for one of our players? I think that's a better metric of where we've been, in comparison.

My ratings:

Pope 9 Got us a point in the end

Trippier 5 Below par, struggled with Japanese sub in second half

Schar 7 Solid

Botman 8 Was really impressed, great full debut

Burn 8 Defensive leader, offered nothing in attack though

Willock 5 Had one of his off days

Bruno 6 Gave the ball away a few times but also won it a few times

Joelinton 7 Battled hard, couldn't drive us like normal

Miggy 7 Tireless as usual, no end product as usual

ASM 5 Didn't contribute in either end. Got caught diving

Wilson 7 Tried everything but was isolated in the second half

18 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

When was the last time we got close to a £50million fee for one of our players? I think that's a better metric of where we've been, in comparison.

Yeah, good point. While we may be disappointed with aspects of the performance, we need to remind ourselves about just how far we've come in very little time. When Eddie took over, we were nailed on certainties to go down, probably with about 20 points. We were that bad.

Yes, we've spent money, but 6 of the starting XI on Saturday were here at the start of last season. We are still over-achieving on what we have.

On 13/08/2022 at 23:15, Happinesstan said:

If we had a good window, we can over take them in 2 windows. Not 2.5 years ahead at all.

On 13/08/2022 at 23:40, bigfella said:

We managed 1 shot on target and a poor Xg. Brighton had 7 shots on target and had an Xg well over 1. We were lucky to get the point.

It’s a really weird transition period to be in. A couple of CL players, a few PL players and some Championship. It’s going to be a mixed season and I’d expect us to be outplayed semi-regularly. But we’re moving in the right direction. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

38 minutes ago, Rich said:

image.thumb.png.a569666617a6612df0380c524f1b9f11.png

From 8th November, when Howe was officially appointed. That was undoubtedly poor on Saturday, but we are definitely moving in the right direction. :thup:

If you give him a little time to have an influence on the training pitch, not just name on the door, plus the three  January additions he presumably pushed for, it looks even better. Over the second half of the season/final 19 games only Liverpool and Man City outperformed us.