Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Newcastle United (13/08/2022)

BlueStar

I'll take 0-0 after that. I'm heartened by the fact we've kept at it but seem a bit lost in the final third, Brighton are snuffing things with relative ease and seems it's going to take a Scharesque goal to break through again.

On the flip side there's been a lot of sloppy possession on our part and while Pope hasn't filled me with confidence it's not helped that he's been caught on the hop a couple of times from unneeded counters as a result of that bad passing.

Ref doesn't want to give us a fucking thing so we don't need to be causing ourselves problems too. Fingers crossed a bit more composure in the second half.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Absolutely shite. I'd bring Longstaff on for Willock, not that Willock has done much wrong like, just doesn't feel suited to this game 

Bruno's worst game but we need him on the pitch.

Willock has made good runs and been in good positions but nee fucker ever sees him :lol:

Just now, Happinesstan said:

Escaped the first half, need more in the second. Suspect the game plan is to let them tire themselves out before applying the pressure. We've been a bit lucky to get away with it.

Would gladly take a point riht now.

Doubt that was the game plan, if so our midfielders would be looking to pass quick instead of carrying it too long and getting caught, that tires us. Expecting tactical alterations at half time.

Maxi has been shit, not frustrating.

Just now, Flip said:

Bruno is 100% having his worst game of his Newcastle career like. Or when has he ever been this bad? 

Ok if you don't include friendlies, it is then :) I still have faith in him, but he's only had the ball a handful of times. I can't even imagine how many misplaced passes Maxi's had.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Willock has made good runs and been in good positions but nee fucker ever sees him :lol:

I'm watching on the telly, and I can't see him at all either tbh 

Pretty much everyone has looked half a second less sharp than they ought to be, including the defenders (especially Trippier who, as sad as it makes me, is really starting to make me wonder). I don't really know what the gameplan is here, either. Lobbing it up to Wilson certainly isn't working. 

Brighton are a difficult opponent and play with a lot of intensity, and it's clearly difficult conditions so you can't read too much into it I don't think. We've had some bright moments and there's something here for us if we improve. 

Maxi actually looks worse trying to pass more. There's been a couple of occasions where he's tried a cut back to the edge of the box where he probably could have just drove at them like he usually would. 

1 minute ago, Flip said:

Bruno is 100% having his worst game of his Newcastle career like. Or when has he ever been this bad? 

He's been poor but Joelington has given him about four balls which were too short and put him in trouble straight away. Need to up it second half as these have been no great shakes either 

Just now, joeyt said:

Feels like ASM has loads of space to go on the outside of Veltman but he keeps cutting inside

His natural decision making is generally pish and with Howe trying to change his game a bit, he's tying himself up on knots. You wouldn't bet against him suddenly providing a goal or assist though. 

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

A point away to Brighton is a decent result. Why do our match thread always go to shit unless we are in the lead during half time by people literally soiling themselves? :lol: 

Don’t think anyone is saying much wrong tbh. Just saying we haven’t been great and attacking play pretty much non existent so far.