João Pedro

8 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Martin Hardy reporting moves are progressing for both Pedro and Conor Gallagher 

I can’t get 12ft ladder to remove the paywall.

What does it say about Gallagher? 

With the greatest respect. That was 20 and 30 years ago. 

Those teams also had 4-5 of the greatest attackers this league has ever seen and very good players beneath that.  

But ok. Let’s agree to disagree. Burn and Targett wouldn’t look out of place in a top 6 team according to you. 

Edited by The College Dropout

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

With the greatest respect. That was 20 and 30 years ago. 

Those teams also had 4/5 of the greatest attackers this league has ever seen and very good players beneath that.  

But ok. Let’s agree to disagree. Burn and Targett wouldn’t look out of place in a top 6 team according to you. 

Take your points, but I genuinely think they would be fine. Would be a lot easier obvs if the opposition rarely had the ball ? 

I really like this lad with the ball at his feet, very good dribbler on his right but can also use his left well. He looks like he should have more goals than he has. Anyone have a stat on what his conversion rate is like? Goals compared to xG?

edit: just looked this up, xG last season was 4.45 and his goals were 3. Seems very low for his 1619 minutes. I know Watford were a mess but was he playing deep or across the line?

Edited by gbandit

37 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

35 million would have gotten Harrison wouldn’t it ? Must really rate Pedro if the figures are correct of course.

Based purely on the fact he's one I had seen in action, supported by his stats, he's one I would have liked us to sign. I fantasised about Rafinha, of course, but Harrison seemed more our level.

Was never convinced they would sell, because I thought they'd be crazy to do so.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I like Burn and Targett. But they are midtable players.

Which was perfectly acceptable for where we were when we brought them to the club but people still wrote them off. I think you missed my point. Probably deliberately!

2 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Same! I want to see the Gallagher bit. [emoji38]

Transfer news latest: Newcastle United to make second bid for Watford’s £25m-rated João Pedro

Watford rejected initial offer for 20-year-old Brazilian forward

Martin Hardy

, Charlotte Duncker

Wednesday August 17 2022, 12.00pm BST, The Times

Pedro has one goal for Watford in three Championship matches so far this season

Newcastle United are ready to return with a second offer for the Watford forward João Pedro after being told that it will cost more than £25 million to prise him from the Sky Bet Championship club.

Watford want £25 million plus add-ons to sell the 20-year-old Brazilian after Newcastle had an offer refused on Friday. That is believed to have been an initial fee of £17 million, which would potentially have risen a further £3 million, depending on the success of the player.

Watford turned that down but have given an indication that they are ready to sell the forward, who has one goal in three matches this season. It has been a frustrating summer for Newcastle and their head coach, Eddie Howe, despite the financial backing of Saudi Arabia’s public investment fund, who took control of the club in October.

The club have spent £160 million on players since then, but are eager to add to their attacking options. They are expected to return with an improved offer for Pedro, with the player believed to be keen on the move.

Pedro joined Watford in January 2020 from Fluminense and scored nine league goals as the club won promotion from the Championship the following season. He scored three times in the Premier League last season, including a goal against Newcastle.

Howe wants a young forward who can play centrally or out wide, giving him cover for Callum Wilson.

Newcastle had a bid accepted for Hugo Ekitike, a player they attempted to sign in January from Reims, at the start of the summer. That fee would have risen to £29 million but the 20-year-old and his agent held out for his preferred option of a move to Paris Saint-Germain.

Howe ideally wants two new players in before the transfer window shuts at the end of the month. It is thought a potential move for Conor Callagher, the Chelsea midfielder, is progressing.

Delap celebrates after scoring against Bournemouth in the third round of the Carabao Cup in September, his first senior goal for City

Meanwhile the Manchester City forward Liam Delap is set to join Stoke City on loan for the rest of the season.

The England Under-19 international is following in the footsteps of his father, Rory, who played for the Staffordshire side for seven years.

Delap has impressed at academy level, scoring 45 goals in 54 appearances across three seasons, and has been in and around Pep Guardiola’s first-team squad for the past year, making six first-team City appearances.

The 19-year-old, who joined City from Derby County three years ago, garnered plenty of interest from a number of clubs, including West Bromwich Albion.

However, it is Stoke who have won the race, with the teenager set to undergo a medical on Wednesday.

Despite being an admirer of Delap, Guardiola is keen to let him leave on loan this season as the arrivals of Erling Haaland and Julián Álvarez mean any first-team minutes would be limited. The City manager said: “The EDS [elite development squad] process has gone, is done [for Delap]. He has to try and go there and play [senior first-team football].”

39 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Agreed and the fact the World Cup is happening means a lot of the decent players will be on public view to a huge audience and prices will sky rocket !

January window is there for teams really struggling looking for anything they can get their hands on 

We done well in January considering but as Staveley mentioned a few times not a window we really want to get involved in 

Those who star in the world cup might command big money moves, leading to next level players being let go. Leicester might blow the Fofana money on the player of the tournament, and sell Maddison for £35 million. Then we'd need to find a replacement for Bruno.

2 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Which was perfectly acceptable for where we were when we brought them to the club but people still wrote them off. I think you missed my point. Probably deliberately!

I'll go back and re-read.

1 hour ago, Scoot said:

A lot of people were questioning the signings of Burn and Targett and look how they've turned out for us (Chris Wood, i know). I understand people will question certain signings but for me I completely trust the manager and Ashworth in all of this. 

Whatever they go for I'm happy with as there's obviously a plan in place and we've seen how much Howe can improve players.

Ok.

I see those signings as short-term, stop-gap signings to keep us safe and then consolidate a midtable position. I would be dissappointed if we went that route again. I agree - the track record is pretty good and the players they brought in have met and perhaps surpassed expectation but fundamentally I was hoping for more Bruno level signings. I'm happy for JP as back-up to Wilson because the Wood transfer flopped. But would expect a higher level at RW and CM.

Guest HTT II

Man Utd finished 6th, I’d not swap any of their back four for any of our starters, Varane is obviously very good of course, but injury prone and so out of form. Our back 5 right now is a solid potential top 6 defence for me.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Be quite frustrating if we did go as high as 35 for him, but wouldn’t pay extra for other better targets. 

I must admit, it’s causing me to scratch my head as well. 

Although if it happens I’m sure the fee will be undisclosed officially. I really can’t see us going to 35m though. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Be quite frustrating if we did go as high as 35 for him, but wouldn’t pay extra for other better targets. 

It would be totally stupid, however I don't think they would go anywhere near 35 for him. Personally I think the original bid was more than enough, though I'm not one for signing him anyway.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I'll go back and re-read.

Ok.

I see those signings as short-term, stop-gap signings to keep us safe and then consolidate a midtable position. I would be dissappointed if we went that route again. I agree - the track record is pretty good and the players they brought in have met and perhaps surpassed expectation but fundamentally I was hoping for more Bruno level signings. I'm happy for JP as back-up to Wilson because the Wood transfer flopped. But would expect a higher level at RW and CM.

We struck gold with Bruno, I think. We're not a very attractive tangible proposition to the top players, yet. We're selling a vision, and not many footballers have the imagination to look at us and see themselves. Even Brighton players must look at our training facilities and think "WUT?"

This is why I'm willing to wait to get the right people. 

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

We struck gold with Bruno, I think. We're not a very attractive tangible proposition to the top players, yet. We're selling a vision, and not many footballers have the imagination to look at us and see themselves. Even Brighton players must look at our training facilities and think "WUT?"

This is why I'm willing to wait to get the right people. 

Not sure about that. Forest and Wolves have proven that if you’re willing to pay the going rate, top players will join you just for the appeal of the Premier League.