João Pedro

2 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

Transfermarkt says they paid Fluminense €4MM for him. 

In that case, they are having our pants down at these suggested numbers. 

FFP really makes it impossible to grow quickly as you just can’t afford to make mistakes in the transfer market. 

12 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Not sure about that. Forest and Wolves have proven that if you’re willing to pay the going rate, top players will join you just for the appeal of the Premier League.

Yeah but they have facilities of a PL club. I don't think you can underestimate the difference that makes to somebody looking to earn in excess of £100k per week.

14 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Not sure about that. Forest and Wolves have proven that if you’re willing to pay the going rate, top players will join you just for the appeal of the Premier League money.

fyp

9 minutes ago, gdm said:

£35m would be stupidity. He’s scored 3 premier league goals

I do agree that £35m might be a tad expensive. But you really need to look away from his goal scoring. He's turning 21 year old and is highly rated by the Watford fans that watch him week in week out. After all, Ekitike (who we were after for long) went for £35m and 2 seasons ago he scored 3 goals in the Danish league. If the club, and especially Howe is willing to pay that sum for him we need to trust their decision. 

*the more brazilians the better for the club.

Edited by Flip

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Ekitike didn't come because he had an offer from a much bigger club.

The rest - we just haven't stumped up the transfer cash.

Fair point. But I think it might say something that we're targeting players with PL experience as they would be more likely to have experienced the current atmosphere.

4 minutes ago, Flip said:

I do agree that £35m might be a tad expensive. But you really need to look away from his goal scoring. He's turning 21 year old and is highly rated by the Watford fans that watch him week in week out. After all, Ekitike (who we were after for long) went for £35m and 2 seasons ago he scored 3 goals in the Danish league. If the club, and especially Howe is willing to pay that sum for him we need to trust their decision. 

Aye. It's very easy to hone in on outputs but it's hardly that indicative of the potential of a 20 year-old (and you're paying for the future when targeting players that young). I'm not saying he's going to turn into Vini Jr but, using him as an example, he'd scored 3 league goals the season before last and then had his huge upcurve.

There are good indicators that Joao Pedro could become a very handy player in the right environment.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

4 minutes ago, Flip said:

I do agree that £35m might be a tad expensive. But you really need to look away from his goal scoring. He's turning 21 year old and is highly rated by the Watford fans that watch him week in week out. After all, Ekitike (who we were after for long) went for £35m and 2 seasons ago he scored 3 goals in the Danish league. If the club, and especially Howe is willing to pay that sum for him we need to trust their decision

There's nothing to suggest we are willing to pay that amount of money for him though. It's obviously just a stupid figure being thrown out there by Watford to counter our initial bid of £20m.

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

When you see that and think we could have had Harrison for that, it's understandable to be slightly underwhelmed. But I'm not convinced Harrison was available at 35.

I've no idea of player values, I assume everybody overvalues their assets. But once they express a willingness to sell then I don't think meeting the value should be necessary, in fact I'd say it was foolish.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

There's nothing to suggest we are willing to pay that amount of money for him though. It's obviously just a stupid figure being thrown out there by Watford to counter our initial bid of £20m.

Hence the if...:dowie:

Just now, Happinesstan said:

When you see that and think we could have had Harrison for that, it's understandable to be slightly underwhelmed. But I'm not convinced Harrison was available at 35.

I've no idea of player values, I assume everybody overvalues their assets. But once they express a willingness to sell then I don't think meeting the value should be necessary, in fact I'd say it was foolish.

Leeds would have been mad to value him at 35.

4 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Jack Harrison is 5 years older than Joao Pedro. 5 years ago Harrison was playing in the MLS and 4 games for Middlesbrough in the Championship. It's hard to compare. I do think Harrison is going to have hell of a season for Leeds by the looks of it though :thup: 

Edited by Flip