João Pedro

Just now, STM said:

I think you can have a solid character but also make it clear to your current club that you want to move.

Footballs a funny game. He might not get another chance of a decent move if Watford don't have a good season, despite how much potential he may have.

Yeah definitely but there is also a difference in trying to force a move and then kicking off if the move doesn’t happen. I reckon this one gets done now tbh so probably won’t matter.

13 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Think the concern for them though is they haven’t brought in quality replacements. We either had young prospects or proven players at championship level

They're going to have £60m+ to spend on replacements tbf, that should buy them genuine promotion winning replacements and then some.

26 minutes ago, STM said:

Watford can't keep a player who doesn't want to be there, especially when 30m is on the table. It would be different if they were in the PL.

They will have got 80m for 3 players and while that could be spun as a negative, if you can't use half of that to get players to get you out of the league then there is something wrong with the recruitment.

If they reject it, we should move on... and I like the lad.

I agree with all those takes. I'm sure they are not happy selling but that's what can happen when you get relegated. Smart adds to the squad and they can be right back in it.

14 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I imagine they’ve done some scouting and started agent discussions for replacements already 

Recruitment should be an ongoing thing anyway; scouting, analysing, enquiring etc. Any club that doesn't have their eyes on the prize is a sitting duck if they get injuries, have to sell a player or someone takes a sudden loss of form. It's the whole reason clubs employ DOFs, to make sure there is some long term planning in place.

Even without that, Watford will have an abundance of options, they are one of the top championship sides, have decent budgets in comparison to others. 

In the last few days of the window, there will be dozens of PL players looking for game time and have to drop a level.

36 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Just one week to do it though

They'll have started looking in earnest a week ago when we first showed interest. Don't forget, they've put a price on him going so it's not like they won't have contingency plans.

1 hour ago, STM said:

I think you can have a solid character but also make it clear to your current club that you want to move.

Footballs a funny game. He might not get another chance of a decent move if Watford don't have a good season, despite how much potential he may have.

This is not true like.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Well yeah, exactly.

If all he does is report other people’s news at the last minute, why would he bother risking that by posting BS “exclusives” about João Pedro to Newcastle?

He’s clearly got the inside track on this one, let’s just hope the information he’s being fed is correct.

6 hours ago, Rich said:

If all he does is report other people’s news at the last minute, why would he bother risking that by posting BS “exclusives” about João Pedro to Newcastle?

He’s clearly got the inside track on this one, let’s just hope the information he’s being fed is correct.

I hope you’re right. I personally think he’s making an educated guess, and he’s worded his exclusive in a way that makes it very easy to back away from should it turn out not to be true (“verbal” usage).

We’ll see. Fingers crossed either way.

Do people actually believe that journalists (proper ones, like Romano) just ‘make stuff up’?

Obviously, I’m not saying they’ll always be right, as the source of their info could potentially be ‘making up’ what they tell them to suit a particular agenda (especially if it’s an agent). But if you think Romano’s just made up that we’ve put in a third bid and guessed at some numbers for no real reason other than a bit of clout, you’re crazy.