João Pedro

37 minutes ago, prefabtoon said:

Journalist Keith Downie has claimed that Newcastle United have about £20m to spend as a down payment on an ‘attacking recruit’ this summer.

Like he knows :yao:

7 hours ago, OverThere said:

What's so funny. He hasn't done much in 3 seasons. Obviously we are paying for potential but almost 30m for potential is a heck of a fee.

No it isn't, nor is any fee going to be 30m straight off the bat.

Every club buy potential, some clubs produce potential but that's another story.

My point was his goalscoring record is irrelevant because he's 20. All other metrics say he's got massive potential.

9 hours ago, prefabtoon said:

Journalist Keith Downie has claimed that Newcastle United have about £20m to spend as a down payment on an ‘attacking recruit’ this summer.

This is a lot of shite.  I don't think we have a set amount to spend,  just an amount they would prefer to spend. 

11 hours ago, OverThere said:

What's so funny. He hasn't done much in 3 seasons. Obviously we are paying for potential but almost 30m for potential is a heck of a fee.

I wouldn't expect him to have done much between the ages of 17 and 19..  Showing talent and showing that you're developing towards being a top player is what I'd expect and Watford fans certainly seem to have seen that.

Edited by Teasy

12 hours ago, prefabtoon said:

So Maddison wasn't a attacking recruit then?

Just now, Nobody said:

Just because we bid £45m, it doesn't mean that it was more than £20m in the first payment. 

I doubt he's referring to the initial cash payment, if that was the case there's no issue, a £80m transfer can be paid over 4 years at £20m per year.  I assumed by down payment he was referring to the main part of the transfer fee.  As in £20m plus addons.

3 minutes ago, Teasy said:

I doubt he's referring to the initial cash payment, if that was the case there's no issue, a £80m transfer can be paid over 4 years at £20m per year.  I assumed by down payment he was referring to the main part of the transfer fee.  As in £20m plus addons.

That is a down payment.

A Premier League club backed by PIF does not have cash flow problems or the inability to finance reasonable payments. I really don’t understand any comments that allude to an actual amount of cash we have available.

10 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

That is a down payment.

Yes that's what people would normally mean by a down payment, but people don't always use phrases literally or correctly.  If he literally is talking about the initial payment of a transfer fee how on earth would he know that?  Why would the club discuss with him the cash flow and how it effects payment structure of different possible transfers?

Edited by Teasy

32 minutes ago, Teasy said:

So Maddison wasn't a attacking recruit then?

The journos at the true faith live even said specifically about Maddison that we had £20m up front and rest would be paid up 

26 minutes ago, Teasy said:

Yes that's what people would normally mean by a down payment, but people don't always use phrases literally or correctly.  If he literally is talking about the initial payment of a transfer fee how on earth would he know that?  Why would the club discuss with him the cash flow and how it effects payment structure of different possible transfers?

You dont trust that he would know that it’s for down payment but you trust that he knows its the total budget? How would he know that any better?

4 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I smell a walk away incoming 

We are bidding too low and then walking away. It’s a strange and frustrating tactic. I wish we would just go for cheaper options rather than spending the whole transfer window chasing players we don’t clearly afford.

If the player is hassling the club for the move then you'd like to think it'll happen. More often then not they have the biggest say in whether the club will sell or not.

Is Watford hanging on for an extra £5m going to be worth it if Pedro wants this move and would potentially have his form damaged by keeping him against his wishes.