Alexander Isak

Disco

Writing that has got me thinking that it's mad we've only *just* got back to having a front three that's potentially comparable to Ba, Cisse, and Ben Arfa, and even then it's probably not as good.

11 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Maybe not, but then that’s the linesman at fault and not really something VAR should be blamed for. VAR’s lines may not be accurate to the millimetre, but it’s marginal either way and can’t clearly show the linesman was wrong. 

My understanding is it has to be the referee's clear and obvious error. I agree the linesman should probably bear the brunt of the blame because he has raised his flag even though there's no way he could have reasonably seen an offside. He's guessed, and the ref has gone with it, and then so have VAR.

To my mind it's still a clear error because there's no discernible infringement (ie offside) by Isak in their images, yet he was penalised. The nonsensical lines feel like a fudged attempt to corroborate the ref/linesman and prevent a shitstorm.

It is a problem with the system but one that they've tried to clear up by giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacking player. The linesman should be honest with the referee that he needs to go to VAR, and they need to be honest when they're guessing.

Just now, Rich said:

If KK could make a front three, and a good one, out of Martins, Owen, and Viduka, and Pardle could do the same with Ba, Cisse, and Ben Arfa, then I'm sure Howe can do the same with the current trio. If they're ever all fit together, of course.

Interesting... ok who's better as a trio?

1. Martins, Owen, Viduka

2. Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa

3. ASM, Wilson, Isak

4. Rondon, Perez, Almiron 

For me, it is 2, 3, 1, 4

Struggling to think of other trios - we've always played 2 up top in the KK and SBR eras

Did the flag go up straight away as most offsides I've seen this season have all been very late?

Also, none of the Liverpool players reacted or appealed for offside. So the lino must have had six million dollar man vision to call that decision and not delay or leave it fully to VAR.

Edited by TK-421

3 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Interesting... ok who's better as a trio?

1. Martins, Owen, Viduka

2. Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa

3. ASM, Wilson, Isak

4. Rondon, Perez, Almiron 

For me, it is 2, 3, 1, 4

Struggling to think of other trios - we've always played 2 up top in the KK and SBR eras

1 minute ago, ohmelads said:

Those lines are manually placed by a human who eyeballs where they think it should go. You can often see them moving the mouse and picking a spot.

I don’t disagree but the explanation in that tweet is if lines are touching the attacker gets benefit of the doubt. Lines aren’t touching so not sure what the point of the tweet is 

3 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

The white boot ahead of the green boot?

What? I’m not disputing it looks onside. In my view he was onside. What I’m saying is the tweet is stupid as in the explaination of why the rashford goal was given Is if the lines are touching the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt. In the picture the lines aren’t touching 

Very good debut. Ice cool with his two finishes. Very harsh to disallow the second as in my view those ones should be called level.

Movement and touch looked good. Wasn’t as pacy as others on here made him out to before signing him so will be interesting to see if he’s as effective if playing in a wide 3 which Howe had hinted at playing him alongside Wilson rather than instead of.

Was hoping more for a young PEA from the descriptions given I guess. Can’t wait to see more of him though.

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Very good debut. Ice cool with his two finishes. Very harsh to disallow the second as in my view those ones should be called level.

Movement and touch looked good. Wasn’t as pacy as others on here made him out to before signing him so will be interesting to see if he’s as effective if playing in a wide 3 which Howe had hinted at playing him alongside Wilson rather than instead of.

Was hoping more for a young PEA from the descriptions given I guess. Can’t wait to see more of him though.

Yeah, he looks to have that cool snipers heart beat when facing goal. Very nice.

Wrt pace, I think he’s using his top gear sparingly. 
He was no slouch in Spain.

I thought he looked fast?  His acceleration was quality.  Don't forget he was up against Gomez who is rapid and VVD who doesn't look fast, but is deceptively quick.  I'm sure he tried to conserve some energy at times and all.  Which is to be expected. 

So impressed by him.  He was dancing past players with quick feet and seemed to just slot in straight away like he'd been here for 6 months and not 6 days. The offside goal was just incredible composure.  I honestly can't remember the last time we had a striker showing that sort of calmness in front of goal.  Not meaning to be hyperbolic.  But it reminded me of some of the old Beardsley videos when he used to sit everyone down and walk it in. 

I don't think he'll be as much of a nuisance back to goal or challenge for as much in the air as Wilson.  But the threat in behind will be there if teams play high.  Then he is good enough on the ball to drive at goal if he has to drop off to pick it up.  I think both could play in a front three together at times, too.  

Based on last night's small sample size.  He was even better than I'd hoped for and looks a really well rounded striker. 

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Strange you mention you thought his acceleration was quality, what I saw was the opposite. I actually thought he was perhaps slow to start but very quick when up to speed.

He did open up a few times when he had space to and use that long stride.  But there were a couple of times where he nearly got to Gomez and I think maybe one with VVD, as well.  Where he looked to have no chance over 5-10 yards.  But nearly ended up pinching it off them when closing them down.  Went from standing to rapid pretty quickly.    

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

He did open up a few times when he had space to and use that long stride.  But there were a couple of times where he nearly got to Gomez and I think maybe one with VVD, as well.  Where he looked to have no chance over 5-10 yards.  But nearly ended up pinching it off them when closing them down.  Went from standing to rapid pretty quickly.    

Joelinton does the same with his long gait, starts out miles away from a player he's pressing yet somehow seems to get feet on the ball even when the player brings the ball player-side.

I did see that yes, he closes down very quickly. Perhaps it's just his running style and the fact he's so tall makes it look like he's slow to speed up. Either way that Liverpool defence is one of the quickest in the league, he'll have alot of chances against more sedentary defenders.

31 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Aye he's quick but he doesn't look Henry quick. At least not off the mark