Alexander Isak

Disco

From the way he played I imagine he wouldn't have started tonight had there been a solid alternative, in fairness to him. Not his best self at the minute.

It’s such a shame that he has struggled to get say 15-20 games in a row when he’s been close to 100%. Since signing he has had a few injuries and never got a clean run at it. He had that one spell earlier this year where he was unplayable for a good few games and it’s been a bit stop/start otherwise. 

Not sure if he has got yet another niggly injury. Or he is just ill like Howe says. But the last two games were just like earlier in the season. Where his dribbling, pace and ability to maintain his levels all deserted him. 

He had the Everton and Spurs goals where he sat people down and casually slotted home. Then that one last night with Amrabat. You were never confident he was going to score. He looked half asleep in the box all game and never attacked either post or the 6 yard box. 

As plenty of people have said. A back up striker who is not as prolific as Wilson. But that is actually available and not injured all the while. Should be a top priority.  

8 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He was poor tonight, but across this season we have consistently failed to get the best out of him away from home.

Also this. 

Our service to him consists of pumping it long and then occasionally massively fucking up easy through balls.

No real creativity high up the pitch and it is a bit of a flaw with Howe’s system. Made even worse by injuries and those that are currently starting. 

Agree he has to finish that 3 on 1 or square it back to Gordon or whateve. In reality this game was tailor made for the back up striker as Isak clearly wasn’t 100% but Wilson simply cannot stay fit.

Posted (edited)

I really feel like a more attacking midfielder with some flair would be great for us, and Isak in particular. A player that has the ability to draw attention and drag defenders out of shape to create more space for him in central areas. As it is now he becomes slightly isolated in line with the opposition CB’s which makes it difficult for him to get any space or chances really. Especially if the opposition sit quite deep and we try to create something by playing around their box. It usually ends up with Isak getting the ball and being forced to go backwards to play the ball out wide but then it’s quite easy for the opposition to cut him off from getting on the end of the balls played in. We mostly attack from the flanks or in between their CB and fullback with one twos and through balls but rarely centrally as it gets a bit too crowded there. It feels like most of his goals are scored when we are in transitions, or in semi transitions high up the pitch. I think having a more creative attacking option in there would give him more space and chances with the things happening centrally as well. It would also make us less predictable imo. Having that more attack minded midfielder would also work very very well with Bruno in a slightly deeper position as he is very progressive with his passing as well as very very capable when it comes to creativity if he has a technical option to play with that is central and closer to him in between the lines at times. Bruno could then go for one two’s with player X and we would be able create more from central positions without forcing Isak too deep and playing with his back to goal. Just having that one more attacking minded creative player really would make a difference I reckon. Would force the opposition to defend with two players at times. Not only that, it would give us more space out wide as the opposition would have to get more compact centrally at times. I don’t think we get the best out of Isak as it is. Having a very good option there that is great in possession would create more playing depth and the option of playing triangles more often as the distance wouldn’t be too far from Bruno who dictates the play and tempo. This post isn’t so much about last night, but just a general thought of mine. 

Edited by Ikon

6 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Also this. 

Our service to him consists of pumping it long and then occasionally massively fucking up easy through balls.

No real creativity high up the pitch and it is a bit of a flaw with Howe’s system. Made even worse by injuries and those that are currently starting. 

Lost count how many times Murphy & Longstaff attempted a pass to his feet only to miss by some distance in the first half, he was getting in some decent positions too

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I really feel like a more attacking midfielder with some flair would be great for us, and Isak in particular. A player that has the ability to draw attention and drag defenders out of shape to create more space for him in central areas. As it is now he becomes slightly isolated in line with the opposition CB’s which makes it difficult for him to get any space or chances really. Especially if the opposition sit quite deep and we try to create something by playing around their box. It usually ends up with Isak getting the ball and being forced to go backwards to play the ball out wide but then it’s quite easy for the opposition to cut him off from getting on the end of the balls played in. We mostly attack from the flanks or in between their CB and fullback with one twos and through balls but rarely centrally as it gets a bit too crowded there. It feels like most of his goals are scored when we are in transitions, or in semi transitions high up the pitch. I think having a more creative attacking option in there would give him more space and chances with the things happening centrally as well. It would also make us less predictable imo. Having that more attack minded midfielder would also work very very well with Bruno in a slightly deeper position as he is very progressive with his passing as well as very very capable when it comes to creativity if he has a technical option to play with that is central and closer to him in between the lines at times. Bruno could then go for one two’s with player X and we would be able create more from central positions without forcing Isak too deep and playing with his back to goal. Just having that one more attacking minded creative player really would make a difference I reckon. Would force the opposition to defend with two players at times. Not only that, it would give us more space out wide as the opposition would have to get more compact centrally at times. I don’t think we get the best out of Isak as it is. Having a very good option there that is great in possession would create more playing depth and the option of playing triangles more often as the distance wouldn’t be too far from Bruno who dictates the play and tempo. This post isn’t so much about last night, but just a general thought of mine. 

Joelinton is underrated in his ability to link up with forward players, and he also has a knack for playing them in. It's been one of things we've missed with him.

In the lead up to his through ball to Longstaff, I believe there was a slick one two he played with Isak.

I also think once Tonali returns and now he is fully settled and more familiar with the other players, we'll see more chance creation from him too, as he loves to play those first time passes forward.

2 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Lost count how many times Murphy & Longstaff attempted a pass to his feet only to miss by some distance in the first half, he was getting in some decent positions too

There were also times he dropped into space and Murphy hesitated and didn't release the ball. 

On that transition chance that Longstaff played a terrible pass, he could have looked for Isak earlier when he first made his move, and Longstaff hesitated and held into the ball too long before playing an awful ball straight to the defender.

Painful stuff.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Joelinton is underrated in his ability to link up with forward players, and he also has a knack for playing them in. It's been one of things we've missed with him.

In the lead up to his through ball to Longstaff, I believe there was a slick one two he played with Isak.

I also think once Tonali returns and now he is fully settled and more familiar with the other players, we'll see more chance creation from him too, as he loves to play those first time passes forward.

That particular move was in a bit of transition though, with the opposition not so deep. We are quite good at those bits, especially with our better players available. What I’m talking about is more when we more or less  play around the opposition box trying to find openings. Having a technically composed player there that calmly can keep hold of the ball and drag the opposition out of shape because of the opposition committing players, and also be able create something individually. Joelinton does things well, but assisting goals doesn’t happen too often from what I’ve seen. The final pass. Even if his link up play is decent from a deeper position at times. I also think it would allow us to control games better having that option in front of say Tonali and Bruno for example. 

Edited by Ikon

56 minutes ago, Ikon said:

That particular move was in a bit of transition though, with the opposition not so deep. We are quite good at those bits, especially with our better players available. What I’m talking about is more when we more or less  play around the opposition box trying to find openings. Having a technically composed player there that calmly can keep hold of the ball and drag the opposition out of shape because of the opposition committing players, and also be able create something individually. Joelinton does things well, but assisting goals doesn’t happen too often from what I’ve seen. The final pass. Even if his link up play is decent from a deeper position at times. I also think it would allow us to control games better having that option in front of say Tonali and Bruno for example. 

Ah, I see. It's a fair point.

Against deeper set blocks, Bruno is really the one player with the qualities you are speaking of. Hopefully Tonali can show some of that too.

If we can bring in a right winger that has playmaking qualities that would be ideal too really.

That assist was gorgeous of course, and that finish on what was a deceptively difficult chance. The ball was a little bit behind him and the way he sorted his feet out to hit it was just lovely.

I don't have that many Newcastle players down the years who have been an idol, but he might turn out to be one of them.

Absolute baller.

When some players get through on goal you know it's a chance of a goal. When this lad is in, you expect a goal.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Weznufc said:

Really hope we keep him.  Class act

He seems very happy here. City won’t go for him and Arsenal are probably gonna go for Sesko I would guess. The rest I’m not too worried about. Think he will sign a new contract soon tbh 

Edited by Ikon

Now only needs 7 more to go level with Imre Varadi when it comes to goals in all competitions for the club.