Alexander Isak

Disco

55 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

His goal against forest was the only sniff he got all game, but it was created by Joelinton's overlap creating the space for him to attack.

There was still plenty of work to do before that ends up in the net though. Classic Wilson once he gets the goal in his sights, he homes in like like a guidance missile. A Youtube collection of his goals for Newcastle would show some really inventive finishes.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Exactly the setup a few of us had tried to explain in the Isak thread, with him having a more narrow free role on that right side, while people were crying that he couldn't play there because he's not a 'winger' :doh:

2 hours ago, TRon said:

He's a different type of forward. Looks like he can finish, but Wilson is a goal hunter, watching yesterday, you couldn't help feeling he would have got on the end of one or two moves to get a goal. I know the service was abysmal, but Wilson usually finds a way. The goal against Forest was a prime example, nothing really on, but a couple of clever touches and bang, it's in the net.

Aye. I love the Wilson type personally. I hope Isak learns that side of the game from Wilson. I feel a proper ST needs that goal hunter instinct. It’s what Marcus Rashford lacks that Sadio Mane has in abundance. 

Rashford might even be a better finisher. But Sadio is sharp in the box. Movement. Timing of runs. Making runs. 

28 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Exactly the setup a few of us had tried to explain in the Isak thread, with him having a more narrow free role on that right side, while people were crying that he couldn't play there because he's not a 'winger' :doh:

Aye, because a random twitter account dotted down a forward arrow on Trippier one of the few times he was so advanced compared to the ball it now makes perfect sense to slot Isak out wide. Thanks for the clarification :lol:

Him behind Wilson would be interesting

Something like

------------Pope----------------

Trips - Schar - Botman - Targett

-------------Shelvey------------

-------Bruno-----Joelinton-----

--------------------------ASM--

----<--Isak-->------------------

-----------------Wilson---------

Edited by HawK

6 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Aye, because a random twitter account dotted down a forward arrow on Trippier one of the few times he was so advanced compared to the ball it now makes perfect sense to slot Isak out wide. Thanks for the clarification :lol:

How people can watch so much football and not understand such simple concepts is really beyond me.

You should maybe also go and listen to Trippier's interview before the game discussing Isak, where he talks about him being able to play across the front line on the left, right and upfront.

48 minutes ago, TRon said:

There was still plenty of work to do before that ends up in the net though. Classic Wilson once he gets the goal in his sights, he homes in like like a guidance missile. A Youtube collection of his goals for Newcastle would show some really inventive finishes.

That goes without saying. But it's not the point I was making.

11 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

That goes without saying. But it's not the point I was making.

I know the point you were making, but I'm of the opinion as a natural no 9, Wilson attacks spaces that gets him goals even in games where he isn't involved much. How many times have you seen him even this season making late runs into the box and then gesticulating to the wide men with both arms at his feet that they should have played him in?

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I know the point you were making, but I'm of the opinion as a natural no 9, Wilson attacks spaces that gets him goals even in games where he isn't involved much. How many times have you seen him even this season making late runs into the box and then gesticulating to the wide men with both arms at his feet that they should have played him in?

I'm agreeing with you. Just saying that those spaces have been limited in a lot of our games because the striker [whoever it is] is occupied by both CBs because there is nobody else drawing attention.

Nowhere in the Isak videos I watched did he look like a similar striker to Wilson, which iss why it was strange to see him succumb in the same way. But when he did drop deep he created problems. The first time he did it he played a lovely ball into the right channel with the defence stepping out a bit. Tiny fractions like that make all the difference.

Edited by Happinesstan

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

I'm agreeing with you. Just saying that those spaces have been limited in a lot of our games because the striker [whoever it is] is occupied by both CBs because there is nobody else drawing attention.

Nowhere in the Isak videos I watched did he look like a similar striker to Wilson, which iss why it was strange to see him succumb in the same way. But when he did drop deep he created problems. The first time he did it he played a lovely ball into the right channel with the defence stepping out a bit. Tiny fractions like that make all the difference.

Yep. As I said in the Fulham match thread, I expect Isak to look a lot more dangerous as they will be attacking which will leave him a lot more space to use his assets, pace being one of them.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Are they using football manager 2001 tactic generator?

2 hours ago, Conjo said:

Actually, in my argument, Shelvey wasn't fit so Bruno plays that role with Almiron in the 8/10/ACM role, doing pretty much what he has been doing, when we attack down the right, with the freedom to join in attacks down the left. No need to slot Isak out wide at all. Trippier plays RB but spent most of the game yesterday in the RW position. Do you honestly think people expect Isak just to get in his way? Or do you not understand the concept that a player can move from his starting position. 

Edited by Happinesstan

What the fuck is that headline? I don’t read Mail articles out of principle but if the article matches that headline it’s an absolute waste of space. The lad’s been here for three games and played amazing in the Liverpool match. Honestly, how can you be in a job with takes like that 

Please start getting a tune out of your 1 in 2 striker.

I noticed a while ago how Hope plays down the Bruce thing after he's the one to bring it up for the umpteenth time. Thought it was canny obvious how much he loved the attention he got from that.

Edited by Kid Icarus

There's nothing particularly critical in there and I don't think the journos write the headlines? It absolutely is important that we get Isak involved in the game more. If Saturday was anything to go by he's certainly no lone striker. Took his penalty well but I didn't think he was really in the game bar the odd touch. Of course it's  difficult for any central striker to impose themselves against a bank of 8/9/10.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

There's nothing particularly critical in there and I don't think the journos write the headlines? It absolutely is important that we get Isak involved in the game more. If Saturday was anything to go by he's certainly no lone striker. Took his penalty well but I didn't think he was really in the game bar the odd touch. Of course it's  difficult for any central striker to impose themselves against a bank of 8/9/10.

He is a lone striker, he's just not necessarily one that's most effective against a defense that's sitting deep. At least not at this stage of his development anyway. 

Gone right off Craig Hope tbh. Think it's an unnecessarily worded article directed at a 22 year old lad who's our record signing and has 2 goals in his first 3 appearances in a new league. If anything it's the wingers and creative mids that article should be directed at, not Isak, given Almiron's, Fraser's and Joelinton's performances on Saturday. On his personal account he's hidden replies containing valid criticism about the article, like the fuck? Just dug his heels in and saying it's not his job to help players settle. Odd.

Aye he went in on Bruce brilliantly a year to a year and a half ago but feel that as soon as we hit a rough patch of form he'll be the first one going after Howe. Just a taster there now by centring that article around Isak whose just made his 3rd appearance in the league. 

Biggest problem for him from the last 2 games is that he was seemingly asked to play like Wilson. Hold position, occupy defenders, scrap for balls, look for gaps in behind etc. Perhaps this is because there's so little faith in our midfield to get forward and make the difference in the box but he just seems like a player you want to drift, find space, and get things going with players moving ahead of or with him. 

Can't wait to see him and Wilson on the same pitch together, regardless of the seeming lack of ideal formation. Been fucking ages since we've had 2 starters in the same side who know how to score goals.

There are tiny moments where you can see his class. Having the composure to dribble past the tackle last weekend, the way he fucking tore Liverpool to shreds, I feel like he played a mega ball for either a chance or an assist?

The kid is the real deal.

Love how he hypes the crowd up whenever he scores as well. :smitten: