Alexander Isak

Disco

He’s not going anywhere in the summer. I think we have a good chance of getting top four next season which would probably keep him even longer. If we don’t however I think he’ll go next summer in 2025.

Surprised no mention of the chance 1st half. Thought he could’ve/should’ve done better and toe poked it at least. Would’ve changed the game completely.

Not sure I like the idea of increasing everyone's wages with us already having a high wages/turnover ratio.

We can only amortise 1 additional year of Isak's contract so we can't make much back in accounting.

I wouldn't be against the Levy tactic of "well you signed the contract, so we either get an exorbitant fee or you keep playing".

Unless we have good plans to actually increase revenues in line.

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not sure I like the idea of increasing everyone's wages with us already having a high wages/turnover ratio.

We can only amortise 1 additional year of Isak's contract so we can't make much back in accounting.

I wouldn't be against the Levy tactic of "well you signed the contract, so we either get an exorbitant fee or you keep playing".

It’s interesting you mention this, I was having a similar thought, obviously it’s good to reward players for good performance and it’s good for morale, but the other side of the coin is a bit different. If we keep bumping up salaries then we are essentially strangling ourselves in FFP terms (this will be even more acute under the new rules). 

In the not too distant past, the club have spoken about player trading being needed to progress but we seem very reluctant to actually do it. 

in terms of future revenue, even if we have a plan it’s only sufficient if we are actually bridging the gap the mega clubs and I still don’t see how we are doing that unless something drastic occurs (new stadium which most are against :lol:)

I think ultimately a lot of hard decisions have to be made and soon, we can defer them sure but that’s ultimately going to cause stagnation. 

8 minutes ago, Paully said:

Genuinely baffled at that Shearer stat - can't recall it getting talked about back then!

I think it was probably because it wasn’t actually 15 games in a row. He missed 4 that season through injury, so scored in every home league game he played in that season.

8 minutes ago, Paully said:

Genuinely baffled at that Shearer stat - can't recall it getting talked about back then!

It was expected IIRC. I remember his goal against Wimbledon being met with a sort of 'finally!' amongst my mates and it was only his second match. :lol:

28 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It’s interesting you mention this, I was having a similar thought, obviously it’s good to reward players for good performance and it’s good for morale, but the other side of the coin is a bit different. If we keep bumping up salaries then we are essentially strangling ourselves in FFP terms (this will be even more acute under the new rules). 

In the not too distant past, the club have spoken about player trading being needed to progress but we seem very reluctant to actually do it. 

in terms of future revenue, even if we have a plan it’s only sufficient if we are actually bridging the gap the mega clubs and I still don’t see how we are doing that unless something drastic occurs (new stadium which most are against :lol:)

I think ultimately a lot of hard decisions have to be made and soon, we can defer them sure but that’s ultimately going to cause stagnation. 

I assume we have some master plan to increase revenues. Controlling wages tightly has helped Spurs tremendously and not controlling wages tightly killed Leicester. Ultimately, we need revenues though as you say.

53 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I prefer not to be anything like Tottenham and how Levy runs his club. 

The plan is obviously to increase revenues and we need to pay our top end players and keep moving the club forward - paying the proper wages and pushing the business team to keep growing the commercial side. 

I am all for upping his contract, making him feel and know he's in the top bracket of our club's wage earners and the lot. I think its the 100% right thing to do; you secure your gems and make it harder for them to leave or get a head turned for money -- and if they do --- the contract in place will make it far more expensive for him to be sold. 

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I assume we have some master plan to increase revenues. Controlling wages tightly has helped Spurs tremendously and not controlling wages tightly killed Leicester. Ultimately, we need revenues though as you say.

Yeah, this has been repeated but I’m not seeing it, we’ve eaten the low hanging fruit the next phase of growth I imagine will be more difficult. 

Id love to know what the plan is, I’m really curious how they are going to do it. 

5 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I prefer not to be anything like Tottenham and how Levy runs his club. 

The plan is obviously to increase revenues and we need to pay our top end players and keep moving the club forward - paying the proper wages and pushing the business team to keep growing the commercial side. 

That sounds great. I'm only hearing of wage increases and have yet to see revenue increases (new ones).

Tottenham control the wages really well. Too well probably. And they get top-dollar for their players. 

Take the good. Discard the bad. Levy has done a lot right. He's probably done everything right that he wanted for the club. His problem is that he doesn't really care about winning trophies or leagues.

Ultimately, I think FSG are in much the same boat. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm highly critical of the commercial progres  and don't think we are where we need to be, related party or not. I think they need to figure that shit out and get moving. 

Isn't it reported that Isak, and several other players, have clauses that reduce their pay if we don't qualify for champions league? The new contract for Isak was reported as being in response to this. Could be that the club see the pay reduction as a good opportunity to convince Isak to extend and protect our prize asset, plus keep him happy. 'Extend one year and your at won't drop' situation?

It’s just a fact that at some point we will have to pay our world class players proper wages, no matter how happy they are to be here now. Isak is reportedly at £120k a week. He knows that players like Sterling, Rashford, Martial, Jesus and Havertz are making 2-3 times the money he gets. All the talk about not swapping him with Haaland while Haaland makes almost £400k a week.

It’s a thing that usually gets talked about a lot less than transfer fees when talking about all the financial restrictions. If we are succesful in the transfer market, the wages we have to pay to keep the established stars are going to go up massively or players will get unhappy and start to look for a move to a club that pays them significantly more.

Replacing players like Bruno and Isak is almost impossible and the cycle of replacing great players with cheaper options will certainly go tits up at some point setting us back even further on FFP etc. It’s a big challenge for Eales and the others to keep increasing the revenue but they’ll have to find a solution.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

That sounds great. I'm only hearing of wage increases and have yet to see revenue increases (new ones).

Tottenham control the wages really well. Too well probably. And they get top-dollar for their players. 

Take the good. Discard the bad. Levy has done a lot right. He's probably done everything right that he wanted for the club. His problem is that he doesn't really care about winning trophies or leagues.

Ultimately, I think FSG are in much the same boat. 

I think Mourinho and Conte were Levy’s attempts to win trophies and after they flopped he’s decided to get back in his lane

Isak will get a pay rise sometime this winter and rightly so. He should be on Bruno money.

That's the way it should work though. Perform= Pay increase

If enough of our players perform, we will achieve on the pitch.

Gordon won't be far behind, if he keeps going. Right now there's only 2 players who can argue for a new contract in the next 12 months, so there's really no issue.

Edited by STM

7 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Unsure how true this one is, but it's the second leak in a matter of days, is Dan Ashworth playing us?

It's sensationalist bollocks just because it's Isak. Surely all the players will earn less this year if they had a CL bump or even a bonus of some description? I find it hard to believe he or anyone is on a wage that goes up if we're in the CL and down if we're not - he'd never earn his basic if that was the case and we're not owned by a circus anymore.

I'm sure this time last year there was talk of the club and players being at loggerheads because of what the CL bonus/pay rises were because obviously most of the lads had Ashley clauses that he never thought he'd have to pay.

Either way, this guy 100% should get what he's worth in a new deal, he's earned it with the season he's had while to my eye never looking fully fit, and just to stick a few more quid on what we'll get if and when the time comes. La Liga style £300m release clause or something!

@Kilcline

Seemingly 👍🏼

“It is not unusual for players to suffer a drop in wages when a team drops out of the Champions League, but that really could have a significant impact at a club like Newcastle in a moment like this.

"On the back of the season that Alexander Isak has had from a personal standpoint, he would have reason to feel worthy of a pay rise, but he will see up to 20 per cent of his wages drop in line with the rest of his teammates next season and, as a result, he will also have discussions with the club about his contract.

"This is a tricky time for Newcastle because they do not want to lose him but know there is a good chance another club - who are in the Champions League and can offer a pay rise - will come in for him. He loves the club, but it would be a test of loyalty and resolve if an offer does land."

Dean Jones. 

Source:

https://www.givemesport.com/newcastle-united-transfer-news-alexander-isak-set-for-20-percent-pay-cut-st-james-park/

22 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree with this to a point, but Isak is unique in the fact that he is world class.

We have to play him that level of wages, Levy has that approach to players he does feel deserve the pay increase, but the top top players get the ones they deserve