Alexander Isak: Nominated for PL POTY & YPOTY

Disco

8 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

@Kilcline

Seemingly 👍🏼

“It is not unusual for players to suffer a drop in wages when a team drops out of the Champions League, but that really could have a significant impact at a club like Newcastle in a moment like this.

"On the back of the season that Alexander Isak has had from a personal standpoint, he would have reason to feel worthy of a pay rise, but he will see up to 20 per cent of his wages drop in line with the rest of his teammates next season and, as a result, he will also have discussions with the club about his contract.

"This is a tricky time for Newcastle because they do not want to lose him but know there is a good chance another club - who are in the Champions League and can offer a pay rise - will come in for him. He loves the club, but it would be a test of loyalty and resolve if an offer does land."

Dean Jones. 

Source:

https://www.givemesport.com/newcastle-united-transfer-news-alexander-isak-set-for-20-percent-pay-cut-st-james-park/

OK so let's suppose he goes to a CL club for a 20% rise next season. What happens when we that club then drops out the CL? Does he move again? Only ever-presents in the CL seem to be Man City, everyone else is in and out like the Hokey Kokey.

Is every Man U and Chelsea player agitating for a move? What about Spurs if they don't get CL?

That said I'm not against just giving him a payrise, hard to say he hasn't earned it.

....Provided it comes with a contract extension

And no release clause!

(Got to be something in it for us, too)

1 minute ago, Max Rockatansky said:

What striker(s) in world football would you swap him for? Can’t be many.

At present I don't think there is a more technical striker than Isak. He has it's all, intelligence, pace and ability.

17 minutes ago, pubteam said:

At present I don't think there is a more technical striker than Isak. He has it's all, intelligence, pace and ability.

At present there's probably only Man City or PSG who could afford to pay what we could realistically ask for him barring any stupid release clause of course.

28 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

OK so let's suppose he goes to a CL club for a 20% rise next season. What happens when we that club then drops out the CL? Does he move again? Only ever-presents in the CL seem to be Man City, everyone else is in and out like the Hokey Kokey.

Think his base salary would 2-3x in any case if he ever moves from his current contract. I honestly think we have to give him a payrise soon to equal level with Bruno.

Surely the "wage drop" is just a reset of the original "wage rise" they got from finishing top 4 last season?

Isak will stay, he will get a new contract and there will likely be a 120m release clause hoyed in.

I hereby apologize for saying earlier in the season that I can't understand why people think he's our best player. I now fully understand it.[emoji38]

15 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

World class

I think he’s the most talented player I’ve seen at us. I don’t really see anyone who comes close aside from Beardsley.

14 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

At present there's probably only Man City or PSG who could afford to pay what we could realistically ask for him barring any stupid release clause of course.

To be fair, I don't think anyone could have predicted how well he would have done considering his record at Sociedad. Does show that our scouts are capable of looking beyond stats and seeing attributes that will work for us. Yes it looked like we overpaid initially but has shown to be more than justified.

IF he goes, I do have a glimmer of hope we could find someone capable of filling the gap one way or another

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I think he’s the most talented player I’ve seen at us. I don’t really see anyone who comes close aside from Beardsley.

Raw talent alone and Ben Arfa is up there

11 minutes ago, STM said:

Surely the "wage drop" is just a reset of the original "wage rise" they got from finishing top 4 last season?

Isak will stay, he will get a new contract and there will likely be a 120m release clause hoyed in.

120m is way to low. Strikers are expensive.

When the first murmurs about prefering Isak to Haaland started coming I found it a bit comical thinking while Isak is great, he isn't quite there and likely never will enter the conversation of being among the 3-4 best strikers in the world. Probably a combination of Isak being in great form while Haaland is in a slump, but now I actually think I've changed my mind and wouldn't swap them. I'll admit I'm proably biased due to being Norwegian.

2 minutes ago, Displayname said:

120m is way to low. Strikers are expensive.

Agreed

every club in the league would want him

120m isn’t that much anymore

not even in his prime yet

180-220m 

Osimhen who is comparable as a finisher is linked with clubs for 150m