Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Newcastle United (28/08/2022)

Yorkie

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

If Anderson gets around 20 mins or starts we win this game.

Honestly, if the alternative is Willock, I'm starting Anderson instead.

I was annoyed with Willock against Tranmere where Anderson outperformed him, and again today he was poor and worse than that just casual as ever.

Great that we got a point but this game was right there for us, even without Bruno, Wilson and Isak. However, missing those three and then having Willock in there strolling around was just too much in the end.

Willock keeps his legs together and we win that game 

25 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

The stats definitely don't tell the full story like [emoji38]

We never did anything until Maxi decided to ping a full volley in for some reason. We were the better side and controlled the game fairly comfortably, but Wolves looked the more likely to score on the counter. Those 21 shots may as well have been 5.

It was a pretty solid reminder that we need more in before the window shuts.

The stat which does tell a story is having over 50% of your shots classed as blocked (as opposed to on or off target.) Backs up the conclusion I reached with my bare eyes that a lot of our attacking players seem to lack conviction and often take 2 or 3 shots where 1 should do to set ourselves before shooting, giving the defence time to close us down.

Area for improvement there imo.

Just watched it. Thought it was a solid performance, tbh, considering we were missing 2 of our best players. Our play in 2/3s of the pitch was generally great - lovely structure and some nice patterns of possession. A few good interchanges in the final third too but we're not great at breaking down sides who are sat deep as it is. What a moment from Maxi.

Solid point against some good players (but seemingly not a good team). I was surprised at how passive their midfield was.

13 corners and we never looked like scoring from one. For all the height in the side now, we don't really have anyone who attacks the ball with any real venom. One area where Lascelles is a miss. We need to work on those, we should be posing a lot more threat.

Just now, TRon said:

13 corners and we never looked like scoring from one. For all the height in the side now, we don't really have anyone who attacks the ball with any real venom. One area where Lascelles is a miss. We need to work on those, we should be posing a lot more threat.

We hit the bar and nearly won the game from one 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

20 shots, 62% possession and 13 corners while looking average and being without 3-4 players you'd say are first choice, away to a team who finished top half last season is promising.

That and they have one of the most technical midfield’s in the PL when on the ball, put Neves and Neto in our team just for example and we smash them!

I think overall it was a decent point. How Lage sets Wolves up helped with this but I also think it was an indictment of Howe putting his stamp and style of play in terms of using and recycling the ball on the team. On top of that this side never gives up, we go 1-0 down now and I never think that we're out of a game. Given that we bossed possession and chances created without 2 of our best players (one of whom is pivotal to us) is a good sign and we could've and probably should've snatched it. The lack of quality was all too evident though especially in the 1st half but we have far better players going to come back into the side as well as 4 days left of the transfer market. 

After Liverpool we have a canny run of games; Palace (h), West Ham (a), Bournemouth (h), Fulham (a), Brentford (h). Things are looking up. Once Bruno comes back in and Isak is eased into things by Howe we have a canny and potentially exciting side on our hands.

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We hit the bar and nearly won the game from one 

Didn't Botman miss one too on the near post that would have most likely been a goal?

Edited by Pata

There's plenty of positives to take - our spiritedness and organisation as a team and domination of possession being foremost among them. Wolves away isn't an easy fixture and overall we were good value for a point.

For me the main disappointment was the lack of real intelligent build-up play in the final third - too often our attacking moments were rushed, with shots being attempted from distance rather than attempting to work an opening, or balls launched into the box in a pretty haphazard "playing the percentages" kind of way. 

Not sure if it was partly tactical, a consequence of the opposition or the absence of Bruno (a combination of all three, most likely) but it felt like a bit of a regression from what we've shown ourselves to be capable of as a team.

Nothing alarming, though - excited for the rest of the transfer window and to see how the team progresses throughout the campaign, we're well on track. 

We’re in a process, still; from today I get that the process has taught our players that we don’t lose. We may not be world-beaters, we will play teams better than us, we may just get away with stuff but we don’t lose

45 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

20 shots, 62% possession and 13 corners while looking average and being without 3-4 players you'd say are first choice, away to a team who finished top half last season is promising.

:thup: that was their best team on paper as well (and that’s a stronger xi for them than last season). 

That was us without our two most important players. Away from home.

Very solid point.

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

How do you keep your legs together when ur running out to try block a shot? 

Was he running out to block it though?  I’m just frustrated that he’s been megged twice in two games now 

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

And botman should have got more on his header from what I think was a corner 

Well that's kind of my point, he hasn't made a great connection in any of the games so far, but it's obviously early days for him, we might see him contribute more once he gets a feel for the game here. Wolves are a tough side to break down as well, they defended pretty well most of that game.