Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Newcastle United (28/08/2022)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

How could today be labelled as poor? We absolutely dominated (64% possession, 21 shots, won the xG comfortably 0.73-2.00) a midtable team on the road while missing Bruno and Wilson. I think this was the most encouraging performance yet, we'll be tough at SJP against anyone but today proved we can control games on the road too after the poor performance against Brighton.

It's poor because we were fairly lucky to get a draw from it. Stats can prove whatever you want them to, possession means very little as we know from the Man City game. 15 of those 21 shots were either off target or blocked (that's poor) and as much as I love an XG stat you don't get points for winning by XG.

I'll conceded that whilst I do think it was poor today the caveat of not having Bruno and Wilson does make a huge difference and should obviously be taken into account.

5 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I disagree.

Would anyone have really felt aggrieved had we lost that 1-0?  

I wouldn't have. The goal they scored was fortunate but very well taken and they missed 2 other huge chances that could've take the game away from us well before we equalised.

I'd have been furious, since we were denied a blatant penalty and were the better side for the vast majority of the game.

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

The stats tell a different story to the match. We had some good spells in the 1st half but Wolves have us for the majority and we looked toothless up front. We seemed to make individual errors every minute or so, which is probably why the stats favour us, but the actual game played out totally different.

Saying that, we could have won it at the end. Had Bruno started it would have been 3pts. Least we beat Tranmere though.  

Have actually played 11 aside competitive football before? The   stats favoured us because we made a load of mistakes? Embarrassing!

9 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I disagree.

I wouldn't have. The goal they scored was fortunate but very well taken and they missed 2 other huge chances that could've take the game away from us well before we equalised.

I would. Neither goal was fortunate, we had a stone wall pen turned down and hit the bar. They had 2 other good chances. We dominated possession and had more shots both on and off target.

It only looks like we sneaked it because of the timing of Maxis equaliser.

Edited by madras

Wolves are generally pretty hard to break down and have some good technical players. 

Once they got Infront it was always going to be difficult. Thought we done alright considering 4 out of the front 6 ideally wouldn't be starting for us. 

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

It's poor because we were fairly lucky to get a draw from it. Stats can prove whatever you want them to, possession means very little as we know from the Man City game. 15 of those 21 shots were either off target or blocked (that's poor) and as much as I love an XG stat you don't get points for winning by XG.

I'll conceded that whilst I do think it was poor today the caveat of not having Bruno and Wilson does make a huge difference and should obviously be taken into account.

I can see your point, but were we really lucky to get a point? We kept them down to one goal, so we were always within a chance of a point, which we got.

We’re so well coached at moving the ball in triangles, even our poorer players can look decent because of how well coached we are. The issues happen when some of our players try to be creative as realistically Trippier, Bruno and ASM are by some distance our best at getting assists. Willock, Longstaff, Almiron, Murphy, Fraser etc are all very toothless

15 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I disagree.

No. Because it would have meant a great strike won a game that was always most likely to end 0-0. 

One thing the boys in midfield did well is make it a physical game for large stretches. Then we got down and played. 

Neves and co. obviously has their moments and showed their class at times.  But they should be disappointed that they were outfought a lot of the time by Joelinton and the boys.  And thus outplayed. 

We didn’t bypass midfield. We were quicker and stronger for large parts and played around them.