Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Newcastle United (28/08/2022)

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

And botman should have got more on his header from what I think was a corner 

I thought that at first but after seeing the replay I think the defender was blocking his view until the last second.

On the other hand, Willock should have buried the chance he had and I think we should have had a penalty for the pull on Longstaff. 

Just now, bulivye said:

Was he running out to block it though?  I’m just frustrated that he’s been megged twice in two games now 

Hard to say though, that's a technique some players are quite savvy with, you can hit it to a certain area where there's a good chance it will go through a defender's legs if he's stretching. Not really sure if that was Willock not closing down quite quick enough, or just a really clever strike.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Hard to say though, that's a technique some players are quite savvy with, you can hit it to a certain area where there's a good chance it will go through a defender's legs if he's stretching. Not really sure if that was Willock not closing down quite quick enough, or just a really clever strike.

Fair enough. At least our thunderbastard was better than theirs! 

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well that's kind of my point, he hasn't made a great connection in any of the games so far, but it's obviously early days for him, we might see him contribute more once he gets a feel for the game here. Wolves are a tough side to break down as well, they defended pretty well most of that game.

Well aye but at least the balls are going in the right areas 

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

Well aye but at least the balls are going in the right areas 

I hope you're right. And tbh, Trips was having a bad day for deliveries today, most of his corners weren't clearing the first man.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I hope you're right. And tbh, Trips was having a bad day for deliveries today, most of his corners weren't clearing the first man.

I mean we scored both goals in midweek from corners. I’m sure we’ll get a few over the season 

Edited by gdm

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

I mean we scored both goals in midweek from corners. I’m sure we’ll get a few over the season 

Yeah maybe I'm just being over critical, I never felt confident at all today when we were lining up for them.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Watching MOTD - the commentator is awful.

"Best ever start... since 2011".

Yea, I am almost certain the world started before 2011, as did Newcastle.

Had to go to a family thing straight after full-time today so only now getting a chance to sit down and think about the game.

My immediate emotion was that we worked extremely hard for a point that we totally deserved, and I stick to that. I certainly wouldn't have thought we were fortunate had we got a winner. I can see why Wolves fans hate Lage; they invited us onto them throughout the second half despite our deficiencies, and as decent as we were, they've only themselves to blame.

The only part about our performance which really frustrated me was the set pieces. So many opportunities with the ball being swung into the box and for some reason we never once looked like converting. That was such a pain and with each one wasted, I was starting to think we were gonna get nothing. Thankfully Maxi popped up with a ridiculous strike out of nowhere. 

I thought Miggy stood out and particularly Fraser when he came on. Longstaff did his best in that role and I thought he was very good off the ball and average on it. Whenever he had to move the ball quickly he was fine but give him time to think about it, he's invariably going to make the wrong decision or just not execute an ambitious pass. But I couldn't knock his effort and I don't think he was terrible by any stretch; just massively behind Bruno. No issue in playing him again there assuming we don't sign a CDM, he might grow into it. Willock has assets which he seems to rarely use, another day of frustration from his point of view. 

Another shout for Anderson; he looked bright when he came on and I wish he'd buried that header. Of course he probably would've scored had he not been chopped down before the last minute free-kick, too. Not totally convinced but he might be ready for more regular appearances at this level. 

For them, Neves was magnificent, Neto was areet and Semedo was brilliant. Ref was a pile of shit and any whinging from any Wolves associates is risible. 

Deserved the draw, might've won it, good point, now let's fuck Liverpool up.

22 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The only part about our performance which really frustrated me was the set pieces. So many opportunities with the ball being swung into the box and for some reason we never once looked like converting

This stood out for me as well. It was like we'd gone back to floated set penis to Williamson at times, just as frustrating. Something we really need to work on, and give an extra dimension to our play.

We seem to have a real issue with being able to comfortably strike a ball in the final 3rd without Wilson in the team. All our attacks seemed to come from wing play aiming for Woods pillow heed.  Clearly missing those incisive passes from Bruno down the middle. 

Granted I only watched the 1st half as it was on late for a Sunday night in Australia...

Almiron's lack of a left foot has already been discussed and infinitum. 

Willock is just poor. 

Goal aside, ASM can only seem to cut inside and fluff half strength shots from the edge of the box. 

Joelinton has a piss poor shot. 

Wood essentially does not possess a set of legs. 

Not really sure the point in making but it was just some observations I gathered. 

Edited by Izakaya

1 minute ago, Izakaya said:

We seem to have a real issue with being able to comfortably strike a ball in the final 3rd without Wilson in the team. All our attacks seemed to come from wing play aiming for Woods pillow heed.  Clearly missing those incisive passes from Bruno down the middle. 

Granted I only watched the 1st half as it was on late for a Sunday night in Australia...

Almiron's lack of a left foot has already been discussed and infinitum. 

Willock is just poor. 

Goal aside, ASM can only seem to cut inside and fluff half strength shots from the edge of the box. 

Joelinton has a piss poor shot. 

Wood essentially does not possess a set of legs. 

Not really sure the point in making but it was just some observations I gathered. 

Toon toon.

They were so bad. Couldn’t be watching those cheating cunts every week. Some quality players. Yet they had a similar style to Stoke second half. Mixed in with some proper continental diving and fake injuries. 

Would have taken a point when the fixtures came out. Even more so when we had 2 of our 3 best attacking players missing. All that said. I felt like we could have won. They were dreadful and we were decent, all things considered. 

6 hours ago, huss9 said:

poorest away crowd, and best home crowd performance for a while.

safe standing makes such a difference to the atmosphere.

Being down the side of the pitch doesn't help I don't think like

Mind the amount of people stood filming the game for their own "channels" can't help things either

Not sure it's been discussed but Neves seems a bit of a whoppa like [emoji38]

"It's the Premier League, every game is like that. Their style of play is like that, just long balls and second balls. They're not a team that wants to have possession too much.

"We knew that and we prepared really well for that. Then at the end, it's details. Maybe a detail when [Pedro] Neto almost broke his leg and the ref didn't run to the screen.

"That's one detail, and another detail is we scored a second goal and the ref went to the screen. Another detail. A lot of meetings before the season starts, but then you see our player almost broke his leg on that tackle and the ref doesn't go to the screen.

"We ask why we had so many meetings, because everyone saw on the TV. I already watched the images, and it's unbelievable. He almost broke his leg, his foot is on the floor and the tackle is on his shin.

"Really, really dangerous, and they keep playing with 11 men until the end. That's one of the details that killed us at the end."

4MFSSL5.png

ucPfCGW.png

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Ridiculous comments. Like a teenager. But then again, last time they won a league game was 2nd of April, so they are bound to be in bit of a meltdown.

What this game showed was the huge gap in quality players to bring on from the bench. Calum and bruno are irreplaceable and it showed. Any other attacking position is covered by equal or lower pedigree.

I hope we keep buying a few players every window from noe in in to eternity... We might have a squad like citeh in five years time....

Still, to dig out a point when basically your two best players are out is a good show of the fighting spirit we have within the team.

7 hours ago, huss9 said:

poorest away crowd, and best home crowd performance for a while.

safe standing makes such a difference to the atmosphere.

Aye when they bother to use it :lol:

F42F48F4-86DB-4966-88A8-65BE68A9D4EE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

"It's the Premier League, every game is like that. Their style of play is like that, just long balls and second balls. They're not a team that wants to have possession too much.

"We knew that and we prepared really well for that. Then at the end, it's details. Maybe a detail when [Pedro] Neto almost broke his leg and the ref didn't run to the screen.

"That's one detail, and another detail is we scored a second goal and the ref went to the screen. Another detail. A lot of meetings before the season starts, but then you see our player almost broke his leg on that tackle and the ref doesn't go to the screen.

"We ask why we had so many meetings, because everyone saw on the TV. I already watched the images, and it's unbelievable. He almost broke his leg, his foot is on the floor and the tackle is on his shin.

"Really, really dangerous, and they keep playing with 11 men until the end. That's one of the details that killed us at the end."

4MFSSL5.png

ucPfCGW.png

He's not going to last much longer. He's blaming the ref, our so-called long ball game and our dirty defending, when his team didn't play with enough spirit to match the talent at their disposal. He needs to put his own house in order.

Just now, Cronky said:

He's not going to last much longer. He's blaming the ref, our so-called long ball game and our dirty defending, when his team didn't play with enough spirit to match the talent at their disposal. He needs to put his own house in order.

That's not their manager's quotes.