Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Newcastle United (28/08/2022)

Yorkie

Thought we were better today than most here.  Missing Wilson, Bruno, and Shelvey. Created a lot of chances, but we’ve nobody who can finish. The usual culprits.

Thought Longstaff was better in the first half than most allow. Stunk it up in the second.  Joelinton’s performance today is under appreciated. Fraser impressed.

16 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

We had 64% possession away from home man [emoji38]

Night and day to what we used to be.

That's my take on it, you don't do that if Longstaff was terrible and Willock was hiding. we played alright, lacked creativity yes, but with Wood up front I'm not surprised. A centre forward in a front three has to be involved in a making that creativity, and Wood is so limited. He's just not very good, he can't move in spaces and make runs that pull centre backs around like Wilson (with pace) does, therefore making openings for others to create chances. It's hard to create anything with such a static player up top. Not that it was all his fault today mind, we weren't great and still played OK for me.

Not to call anyone spoilt, but there's definitely some rumblings about our play and what we should be doing. As you say it's night and day, and maybe some if us need to slow down a tad on the magic mushrooms [emoji38]

Edited by Bimpy474

Willock is far from a nothing player but the point of his role is to be an attacking 8 and he’s simply not assertive enough for me. 

Longstaff himself is a better 8 than a 6 but he got fully stuck in and although made many mistakes, was all over the pitch and tried to keep things ticking 

11 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

If the free kick had been further out Trippier would have taken it, do none of the people not understanding why Trippier didn't want to take it watch or understand football?

I think it was against Villa, where he scored one similar, albeit from the other side [I think]. It got a 'lucky' deflection, but I think the deflection was the intention. Hit it with force into the most obvious gap, and you're 90% certain to get a deflection that loses the keeper.

I was half expecting him to do that again, but maybe Schar's precision in that instance, was the percentage play.

I do hope it's got nothing to do with his right hamstring.

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

We've had 2 poor games in our first 4 yet we are still unbeaten. 

The fact Liverpool are coming up next is perhaps no bad thing, I think we need a wake up call. Whether that be proving that we can compete with the top clubs and get results consistently or just showing how far we still have yet to go.

Today wasn't poor.

11 minutes ago, Smal said:

Willock is a ball carrier. He should look to get on the ball deeper but he just hides all the time. Really needs to up his game. 

He hides from the ball for the most part, and so people that are actually on the ball trying to make things happen end up getting more stick, and he is supposed to be our main instigator from the midfield three that started today.

Just look at our final shape from the game today, and how high up he is. He just takes off on those forward runs and vacates the midfield. He should not be that high up. That is where the imbalance is.

image.thumb.png.7c3214ede773f80d5b74555465ffb93c.png

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

No point arguing back and forth on this.

I think Willock is a nothing player at the minute and should not be in the starting line up.

Against Tranmere nothing and same again today. Shown up both times by Anderson who should be ahead of him now in all honesty.

It's just weird that you don't address how demonstrably bad Longstaff has been, including against Tranmere. Instead just skipping past him and going straight on to Willock, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Never mind.

8 minutes ago, GWN said:

Thought we dominated long periods and thoroughly deserved the point .

What a strike for both goals , ASM the pick . 

Thought Miggy did well and the crisp passing is better but we missed two big players that have the cut to win these games .

Happy with a point tbh. 

We need Miggy and Maxi zigging and zagging more. Miggy's cross from the left was a peach.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

I mean, isn't that part of his remit? That sort of movement is what you need if you want to progress the ball rather than just pass the ball sideways and backwards.

No! He should not be doing that all the time. It reduces our passing options during build up and makes things more difficult for us. 

He needs to time those runs better. Ideally when Wood or Almiron drop in and receive the ball than he can make runs off them. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's just weird that you don't address how demonstrably bad Longstaff has been, including against Tranmere. Instead just skipping past him and going straight on to Willock, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Never mind.

I feel like I've explained it, but we won't agree on it, which is fine. 

21 minutes ago, Flip said:

Problem with Longstaff is that he wasn't keeping it simple in the 2nd half. He played some terrible passes from deep. Should learn from Big Joe who has now realized he's limited in passing so keeps it simple for most parts.

Agree on Willock and Anderson. :thup: 

He was in the team to replace Bruno, therefore it was his responsibility to try those passes. I can't fault him for that. He lacks Bruno's ability, so is always going to have lesser returns, but he didn't shy away. 

Willock appears to be shying away. I'm not going to blame him for their goal, he could have been quicker, but that doesn't necessarily mean he stops it.

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I think it's something like 10 games in a row against them we've scored exactly one goal

Replaced 90s Blackburn

90/91 0-1 1-0

92/93 1-0

93/94 1-1 1-0

94/95 1-1 1-0

95/96 1-0

97/98 1-1 1-0

98/99 1-1 0-1

13 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

We've had 2 poor games in our first 4 yet we are still unbeaten. 

How could today be labelled as poor? We absolutely dominated (64% possession, 21 shots, won the xG comfortably 0.73-2.00) a midtable team on the road while missing Bruno and Wilson. I think this was the most encouraging performance yet, we'll be tough against anyone at SJP but today proved we can control games on the road too after the poor performance against Brighton.

Edited by Pata

2 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Today wasn't poor.

I disagree.

Would anyone have really felt aggrieved had we lost that 1-0?  

I wouldn't have. The goal they scored was fortunate but very well taken and they missed 2 other huge chances that could've take the game away from us well before we equalised.

Guest singintheastand

Fair result, would try Fraser instead of Willock, has some good touches about him, maybe fitness is the issue?

Just now, Mazzy said:

I disagree.

Would anyone have really felt aggrieved had we lost that 1-0?  

I wouldn't have. The goal they scored was fortunate but very well taken and they missed 2 other huge chances that could've take the game away from us well before we equalised.

The stats tell a different story to the match. We had some good spells in the 1st half but Wolves have us for the majority and we looked toothless up front. We seemed to make individual errors every minute or so, which is probably why the stats favour us, but the actual game played out totally different.

Saying that, we could have won it at the end. Had Bruno started it would have been 3pts. Least we beat Tranmere though.

17 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

But Joelinton was fine and neither he nor Bruno have any bother with Willock normally.

To be fair Willock hasn't done much with them, either. But Bruno adds a quality that has ment we can carry him. Not too much as he hasn't been completely anonymous, He just hasn't made Joelinton and Bruno look as good as they are. A more involved player adds more value to their contributions.