Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle United (31/08/2022)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Shak said:

Yeah it hurts now, course it does. In retrospect, I wish he had gone for the corner.

Still, next time we're in that spot I'd want to go for the winner again. Process made sense to me, even though the result sucked. Risk a point to try to gain two, think it's the right call.

Just look at Leicester last season. Willock could have easily ran it into the corner.

It's a convention among referees that they never blow for time if a team has just got a corner. They always let them take it and then blow up when the attack has concluded. I suspect that's what happened here. 

Disappointing to have lost at the end, but we did run out of steam. 

Klopp has gone down in my estimation, I must say. All that histrionic moaning.

And I'd lay any odds that Harvey Elliott will be in the next England squad. He had a great game. 

2 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I’m fuming at Joelinton for not going to the corner as well. But the ref was going to play those extra 2-3 minutes regardless, so may not have mattered whatever he decided to do.

It would have mattered it was my point about our game management being shite

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

35 seconds for a goal kick in extra time is normal, stuff like that happens every game and times isn't added on. Same with kicking the ball away.

Exactly, you can't tot that sort of shit up ffs. It's every single tight game like you say. 

7 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I generally am trying to be positive about wood and Murphy but they were shocking man. Useless. 

Honestly, I try desperately to find some decent things from them to acknowledge, but they are impossibly bad.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

He was excellent, I would honestly be the first to jump on him.

Yes, Lascelles was solid today. All game but his hilarious first half slip [emoji38]

Gonna go get me some sleep now, pack my bags and get my butt over to England.

Bring on Saturday!

Just now, AJ9 said:

We will do these and it will mean something. When we do, it’ll be fucking glorious.

Agreed, feels like their going backwards, and were only going up - this fixture next season could be amazing

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

It wasn't. 

Give it a rest man, we get it you think Joelinton shouldn't have tried to win the game, fair enough, but out of all of the things that cost us the game, his cross doesn't deserve the level of criticism you're trying to bring to it. 

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

It wasn't. 

You wouldn't be saying that if Anderson got a slightly better touch on the ball and created a few centimeters extra space to fire off a shot into the back of the net. 

Unless you don't want us to go for the win in games? I hear there's a team in white and dark stripes in the championship you'd love to support.

Absolute sickener. I guess the only small comforts is that it is very early in the season and in a match the vast majority would have been expected to lose, especially when you saw the team. Good signs overall, even if this hurts a lot tonight. Hopefully get a couple through the door tomorrow to somewhat soften the blow.

Imagine if that was a League Cup or FA Cup semi final.

Just now, Kanji said:

Why is Joe Willock popping that ball back in the air into play? Why isn’t he just running that out to play? Or using his other foot to hit it into the stands? 

Just doesn't have the mentality for those kind of moments. The sad thing is that silly flick takes it out of Pope's hands practically. He was just about to grab the ball. Urgh.

Trying to focus on the positives we went to Liverpool and should have got a point and Isak looks fuckin class so so calm in front of goal. Heads up everyone it’s gonna be a great season 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Why is Joe Willock popping that ball back in the air into play? Why isn’t he just running that out to play? Or using his other foot to hit it into the stands? 

Genuinly think he was so tired he wasn't able to think at all. Should have been subbed for Anderson rather than Almiron.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Aye can't criticise any of the back 4 today they were all very good 

I'd find it hard to criticise any of the team for anything. 

Apart from Murphy, he can fuck off.