Newcastle United 0-0 Crystal Palace; post match frustration from p26

Yorkie

1 minute ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Zaha was crowded out every time he received the ball so Plan A worked perfectly.

I thought he was awful personally, another point to me and @KaKa

If we had Paqueta we would have won that game 

in all seriousness after Anderson, Wood needs to be first sub instead of Murphy.

Murphy literally offers nothing, Wood has the pedigree at least if not the form.

Lewis genuinely could do a job on the left as he is pacy and athletic. He could whip crosses in and work well with Targett. Maybe needs to be considered in the absence of other options.  

Shearer was spot on about the disallowed goal. Pointed out that it's an inexperienced ref who gets the decision correct then bottles it when someone more experienced who should know better asks him to take a second look.

Ultimately though, we were frustrating in attack. Regardless of the retarded VAR decision, their keeper played a good game and we were wasteful. 

Obvious to say, but even just one of ASM, Wilson or Bruno back and it would help us immensely. To have all 3 out, we haven't collapsed in what has been a tough little run of fixtures. One thing with this Eddie Howe team is, there is always a positive or two to take from every game.

2 hours ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Shearer was seething on MOTD. My only comment on Howe is that it might be worth him letting loose a bit like that to put more pressure on the refs

Well, that's not how he rolls, and that won't and shouldn't change. He made his point very clearly and firmly without any shouting, and that's probably better than trying to put on an act.

I was so proud on Wednesday, to have him as our manager. Watching Klopp ranting like an idiot all game, that can't be setting the right example for young people. There's so much hypocrisy in professional football, with managers and players shouting about injustices that they would quite happily accept as part of the game from their own side. I'm very happy with Eddie's more measured response, and who's to say it won't pay dividends in the end.

One thing that does infuriate me weekly is how none of our players can hit a ball cleanly[emoji38]

They always seem like scuffs, rushed shots or trying to line it up on their stronger foot to the point they're crowded out.

We just lack instinctive finishers outside of our forwards.

On the game, we should've won and share the general frustrations of others. VAR done us dirty and there's no other way to put it.

But we are still motoring and still adding points even with shit like that against us. 

HWTL!

7 minutes ago, NE27 said:

One thing that does infuriate me weekly is how none of our players can hit a ball cleanly[emoji38]

They always seem like scuffs, rushed shots or trying to line it up on their stronger foot to the point they're crowded out.

We just lack instinctive finishers outside of our forwards.

On the game, we should've won and share the general frustrations of others. VAR done us dirty and there's no other way to put it.

But we are still motoring and still adding points even with shit like that against us. 

HWTL!

It's a noticeable skill that Haaland has, he always manages to get a shot away in the box quickly, our lot seem to want 4-5 touches.

Was raging yesterday but today I’m feeling really positive. Robbed on Wednesday and robbed yesterday, we’d be on 10 points and joint 4th, which I think is a reflection of how we’ve played. As frustrated as I was yesterday, I think back to other 0-0’s at SJP such as that Fulham game under Benitez and the Brighton game under Bruce, where I left the ground delighted they were over. 

As Howe said, things will even themselves out - not decisions but in terms of our performances turning into points. Up the Mags 

Our problem yesterday was if Shelvey, Bruno and Joelinton start for example you can then bring on Willock, Longstaff etc. As it was the same midfield 3 started and looked leggy second half and we didn’t have the options off the bench. Even if only Bruno was back yesterday we win that 

That said still had the chances to win and VAR fucked us. If any side is missing their 3 main attacking players it’s going to play a massive part. Hopefully get the lads back for West Ham/Bournemouth. 

Frustrating but perspective needed 

p.s had someone sat next to me in Gallowgate who complained about everything. Apparently Isak and Botman are now shite ??

Just now, Dokko said:

Yesterday highlighted why the window wasn't the success many thought it was. 

It highlighted a lack of depth for sure - Murphy just isn't PL standard.  Though Jan isn't far so I am sure it's something we'll address. That said it wasn't the reason we didn't pick up points at Liverpool or against Palace.  

Just now, duo said:

It highlighted a lack of depth for sure - Murphy just isn't PL standard.  Though Jan isn't far so I am sure it's something we'll address. That said it wasn't the reason we didn't pick up points at Liverpool or against Palace.  

Jan will be even harder to sign players. I think we've squandered a massive chance to move forward quickly. We'll have to wait till next summer now to see a real impact. It's blatant the PL are doing their best to clip our wings on and off the pitch, the only way we can fight back is by being so much better than we are now, leaving no doubt of the win. Any fine margin games we're not winning, they'll see to it.

Just now, Dokko said:

Jan will be even harder to sign players. I think we've squandered a massive chance to move forward quickly. We'll have to wait till next summer now to see a real impact. It's blatant the PL are doing their best to clip our wings on and off the pitch, the only way we can fight back is by being so much better than we are now, leaving no doubt of the win. Any fine margin games we're not winning, they'll see to it.

I don't think it was the lack of trying in the Summer - though I also don't think the club expected to be shunned as much in the loan market.  Yes it will be harder to bring in the right players in Jan but I think we've proved that it can be done. 

57 minutes ago, Dokko said:

it's along term project Staveley said as much why don't you just accept that and have some patience? Everybody can see the shortcomings!

2 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

it's along term project Staveley said as much why don't you just accept that and have some patience? Everybody can see the shortcomings!

I think most people are fearing that the actual elite level players will want to fuck off if the project doesn't speed up when there is room to move it forward several steps due to the league being crazy.

Now if it will happen or not no one knows but the Ashley shit times and the normality of losing the only good players still has its hold.

Most people or just a certain demographic? If that happens they will have ideas to go forward?We are developing a backroom team to compete at the top level. If they are as competent as we hope they will "hope for the best prepare for the worst" Lee Charnley isn't there anymore?

4 hours ago, HTT II said:

Our start to the season:

1 win in 6, but…

1 loss in 6

3 clean sheets

3 points off the top 4 as things stands, we drew 0-0 away from home with the club that currently occupy that spot

We went toe to toe with Man City at home, drawing, having went a goal down. We did the same away to LFC and could have won that game and should have drawn it, but VAR and the ref

VAR has fucked us over several times

We’ve been missing Wilson, ASM and Bruno for several games now, our 3 most important attacking players

Pope and Botman have settled in great and look top quality

Our record signing has already scored and could be sitting on 3 goals right now

We are unbeaten at home, which has now become a fortress

Worrying!

Regardless of the injuries debacle, we should have won yesterday. And could/should have held out at Anfield. 

We look very well organised, have a system that works (even if two or three of the cogs in it could do with replacing) are difficult to beat and have a new centre forward who looks the real deal and will get better (not least with better service/having others around him which the opposition will worry more about). We could/should be sitting 4th with 11 points, but great signs of what is come. 

If I were to guess, I believe we are so close to being a top six side, will miss out on so many near-miss additional points, that we’ll bemoan not going that extra mile to strengthen in CM and RW/RM this window. But fuck it, happy to settle in for a comfortable top half season and enjoy some of the exceptional performances our strongest 11 will be capable of. 

1 hour ago, duo said:

I don't think it was the lack of trying in the Summer - though I also don't think the club expected to be shunned as much in the loan market.  Yes it will be harder to bring in the right players in Jan but I think we've proved that it can be done. 

Agree with this. It also became really important to secure a top striker near the end of the window as Wilson was injured again. We needed more than another Wood. Loans are disappointing though, we could have found another Matt Targett to boost the squad. 

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Yesterday highlighted why the window wasn't the success many thought it was. 

Shelvey, Bruno, ASM and Wilson injured at same time is pretty exceptional. Take 4 players of that importance and position from any club and they will look weaker. Palace have done some of the top teams in last year, it's not like they are push overs.

The significant thing about the lack of depth is that after 65 minutes and because we play at such a high intensity with our pressing game, the front 6 are completely gassed.

When you look at the bench and you can't replicate that same level of intensity with the likes of Wood and Murphy, it's an issue. Once we get another RW/AM in (like has been touted), it will be a huge plus bringing the likes of Almiron and Willock off the bench with the levels of pressing they show.

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

The significant thing about the lack of depth is that after 65 minutes and because we play at such a high intensity with our pressing game, the front 6 are completely gassed.

When you look at the bench and you can't replicate that same level of intensity with the likes of Wood and Murphy, it's an issue. Once we get another RW/AM in (like has been touted), it will be a huge plus bringing the likes of Almiron and Willock off the bench with the levels of pressing they show.

This^ :thup: