Loris Karius: Released (Official)

NWMag

Just now, Froggy said:

Pope has been a Newcastle player for just over half a season, who's arguing he's the best keeper you've ever had? :lol: lightyears behind Given surely and I'd have thought Krul and Dubravka would be held in higher regard. A bit of recency bias maybe because you're having such a good season. 

Not many keepers wouldn't have excelled behind Botman and Schar this season. Karius will be fine IMO. 

The Dubravka loan looks like a complete mess now mind. 

*Best 'keeper they've seen rather than ever had. Plenty have if you look in the Nick Pope thread and it's not even a wild opinion really. Given has quantity on his side, but Given never had a 6 months like Pope's just had. Absolutely no chance are Krul or Dubravka held in higher regard either.

Regardless of Botman and Schar, Pope has pulled off countless excellent saves for us and has been very dominant. Any Newcastle fan will tell you that he's been absolutely pivotal to our success.

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Pope has been a Newcastle player for just over half a season, who's arguing he's the best keeper you've ever had? :lol: lightyears behind Given surely and I'd have thought Krul and Dubravka would be held in higher regard. A bit of recency bias maybe because you're having such a good season. 

It's not about the popularity contest, just the performances demonstrated. A bit like Woodgate being seen as the master defender despite barely playing in the great scheme of things. Pope has been the best, most meticulous and reliable keeper I've ever personally seen for us.

It's not too dissimilar to Trippier. Within 20 matches he was comfortably the best right back I've seen at Newcastle, for anyone who didn't see Rob Lee and even for some that did, Bruno Guimaraes is already in the best XI they've seen. It's easy to forget how long we've been shit for.

20 hours ago, Froggy said:

I think this guy is a far better keeper than people give him credit for. 

He had a shocker in the final but wasn't he elbowed into goalpost by and concussed by Ramos? 

I think the GK position is by far the least important for this game. 

Probably already mentioned but having a quick scan on Soccerbase, leading up to that final Liverpool won 19 out of 32 games and only lost 4, keeping clean sheets in half of them. If that CL Final had been today he'd have probably been forced off under the concussion rules. The only real concern is he's not played first-team football for seemingly yonks. The last keeper we had who made a debut against Man Utd had a blinder and we won, hopefully it's the same here.

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The last keeper we had who made a debut against Man Utd had a blinder and we won, hopefully it's the same here.

Hopefully not. :lol:

Been a bit worried at how we've been starting games lately. Really poor against Leeds, Barca and Leicester for the opening 20 minutes or so of the matches. Starting to get nervous now for this week of football. Two absolutely huge games for us.

19 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's not too dissimilar to Trippier. Within 20 matches he was comfortably the best right back I've seen at Newcastle, for anyone who didn't see Rob Lee and even for some that did, Bruno Guimaraes is already in the best XI they've seen. It's easy to forget how long we've been shit for.

Yep.  Pope and Trippier definitely make my all-time NUFC XI (I’m 40); Bruno G would be hard to displace in midfield, and Botman might just pick up the left-sided CB position.   Froggy has a point re recency bias, but like you say the competition in some of those positions isn’t exactly strong. 

Can’t wait to see the monochrome phoenix rising from the ashes of his previous career.  The burdon of that CL game lifting off his shoulders and a return to the vorsprung der Teknik piece of magnificent jorman engineering this man used to be. 
Karius can carry us to victory. Onwards…….

22 hours ago, Froggy said:

All I'm saying is I'm not in any way more confident than I was before with Karius being in nets instead of Pope. 

Both sides of the stadium will be as deliciously anxious and excited as each other, no doubt. Really looking forward to it now! 

23 hours ago, Froggy said:

Not many keepers wouldn't have excelled behind Botman and Schar this season. Karius will be fine IMO. 

The Dubravka loan looks like a complete mess now mind. 

Let me put this another way that might penetrate your red skull.

Given = de Gea

Krul = Howard

Srnicek = Barthez

Harper = Kuszczak

Darlow = Taibi

Gillespie = Heaton

Elliott = Sealey

Hislop = Bosnich

Pope = Schmeichel + van Der Sar

does your brain now comprehend?

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think the footballing gods should have mercy on Karius given what he’s gone through.  And on us - Man Utd has won plenty, losing this one game won’t be owt to them :) 

but they're all liverpool and manu fans.

He was Liverpool's first choice for a few years and was concussed when he made those errors in the CL final.

Other than the general worry around the lack of sharpness of a keeper who's barely played, which would be the case if Darlow or Dubravka were playing, I think he's about as good as you're going to get for a third or fourth choice keeper.

Imagine this same situation happened 10-20 years ago and we'd be lining up in a cup final with the likes of Tony Caig, Ole Soderberg or Jak Alnwick between the sticks. It could be a hell of a lot worse...

32 minutes ago, Pilko said:

He was Liverpool's first choice for a few years and was concussed when he made those errors in the CL final.

Other than the general worry around the lack of sharpness of a keeper who's barely played, which would be the case if Darlow or Dubravka were playing, I think he's about as good as you're going to get for a third or fourth choice keeper.

Imagine this same situation happened 10-20 years ago and we'd be lining up in a cup final with the likes of Tony Caig, Ole Soderberg or Jak Alnwick between the sticks. It could be a hell of a lot worse...

image.thumb.png.5b59e4a42df1e4d3bccdc0de9b07309b.png