Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

I'm still hoping he goes to Hearts, and if he does, I'll definitely try and get up for a home match later in the year (assuming tickets are quite easy to get hold of). Couple of hours drive, 90 mins on the train, look around Edinburgh late morning, bite to eat, and then a match in a league / stadium I've never seen before.

I get that by default he might seem better than some options at our disposal, but it is still a risk to throw a just turned 18 year old into the mix, especially if things turn out not quite as rosy as they have been for much of the season. It's a long way from cameo appearances for the Mariners to being in a battle for European places in the most competitive major league in the world.

Edited by Paullow

Regarding the opinion of going out on loan or not. It doesn’t matter if he’s better than Murphy. He has to go on loan to play as regularly as possible. He won’t be a starting key player for us from the off. Needs games to develop properly. 

It'll benefit the player better to play, which he's more likely to do at Hearts. But benefit us better in the short term to use him place of Murphy/Wood. He'll be raw, discipline could be a problem but I cant see him not doing a lot better with what was presented to those two yesterday.

5 hours ago, Paullow said:

I'm still hoping he goes to Hearts, and if he does, I'll definitely try and get up for a home match later in the year (assuming tickets are quite easy to get hold of). Couple of hours drive, 90 mins on the train, look around Edinburgh late morning, bite to eat, and then a match in a league / stadium I've never seen before.

I get that by default he might seem better than some options at our disposal, but it is still a risk to throw a just turned 18 year old into the mix, especially if things turn out not quite as rosy as they have been for much of the season. It's a long way from cameo appearances for the Mariners to being in a battle for European places in the most competitive major league in the world.

Tickets are actually quite difficult to get hold off. My advice would be to sign up for Jambos kickback fan forum and ask in there for any spares. Someone should be able to help you there.

Context - we have sold out season tickets and have over 2.5k on a season ticket waiting list, so demand is really high for tickets. 

34 minutes ago, Gorgie1874 said:

Tickets are actually quite difficult to get hold off. My advice would be to sign up for Jambos kickback fan forum and ask in there for any spares. Someone should be able to help you there.

Context - we have sold out season tickets and have over 2.5k on a season ticket waiting list, so demand is really high for tickets. 

I have been browsing that forum since the news first broke, and did notice the season tickets / get the impression it might not be as easy as you'd generally suspect, but cheers, I might do that.

8 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I have been browsing that forum since the news first broke, and did notice the season tickets / get the impression it might not be as easy as you'd generally suspect, but cheers, I might do that.

Monitor this webpage 

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/heartofmidlothian/

After scanning a few of the games available on there, there are some seats. People will be putting their tickets on the exchange. I also think possibly sections K & L might be for walk up / not available for season tickets so you should manage to get one. 

The alternative would be to make a day of it and getting a hospitality package 

11 hours ago, Likelylad said:

Absolutely no way he’s not already better than Murphy tbf 

Agree. After Murphy's Sheffield Wednesday performance, I really tempted to keep Kuol as replacement for him

2 hours ago, FLUMPO235 said:

I hope going from Australian summer to Scottish winter doesn’t break the poor lad.

Not much fazes him. For me, the bigger worry is the heavier Scottish pitches. The last Aussie wunderkind (Daniel Arzani) tore his ACL on debut for Celtic and his career has never recovered. Tragic.

10 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Not much fazes him. For me, the bigger worry is the heavier Scottish pitches. The last Aussie wunderkind (Daniel Arzani) tore his ACL on debut for Celtic and his career has never recovered. Tragic.

Well, cheers for those happy thoughts :lol:

1 hour ago, Coastie said:

:bob: going through the channels the other day a Scottish game looked like it was being played on Artificial Grass, donno what league 

1 hour ago, 80 said:

Well, cheers for those happy thoughts :lol:

There are plenty of other Aussies who've had long careers in Scotland. It's just that Kuol is lightning paced so, with zero sport science to my knowledge, I wonder whether that pace endangers him more than slower players - esp when twisting and turning (which he does a lot).

Interesting how Pep does it with his top prospects. Foden never went out on loan, his development path seemed to be get the odd run out and train with the first-team. They're now doing it with Cole Palmer it seems. Will be 21 at the end of the season and never had a loan spell. Rico Lewis is 18 but no loans and I doubt he'll go out either even if he's in and out of the squad over the next couple of years.

I think for Kuol who's coming to a new country rather than being at the club from 10 or whatever it's different, but it's just the flipside of the 'he needs games' coin (Anderson for instance).

Edited by Optimistic Nut

36 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Interesting how Pep does it with his top prospects. Foden never went out on loan, his development path seemed to be get the odd run out and train with the first-team. They're now doing it with Cole Palmer it seems. Will be 21 at the end of the season and never had a loan spell. Rico Lewis is 18 but no loans and I doubt he'll go out either even if he's in and out of the squad over the next couple of years.

I think for Kuol who's coming to a new country rather than being at the club from 10 or whatever it's different, but it's just the flipside of the 'he needs games' coin (Anderson for instance).

Agree but Pep has dead rubbers on Europe, a run of five games in the League Cup, generally a deep run in the FA Cup and loads of PL games where they’re 3-0 or more up to bed them in. We don’t have that luxury yet.

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

Agree but Pep has dead rubbers on Europe, a run of five games in the League Cup, generally a deep run in the FA Cup and loads of PL games where they’re 3-0 or more up to bed them in. We don’t have that luxury yet.

Pep is also able to give those youngsters game time playing alongside world class players like De Bruyne and Silva.

Wor Garang would see Chris Wood ahead of him and Jamal Lascelles behind.

Had a little read of that Jambos kickback forum. Seems like a lot of them don't think Kuol is going to start for them. But also a lot of them seem extremely excited and calling him one of the best/most exciting prospects in world football.

Also came across these two quotes [emoji38]. Don't know which forum they're reading as I've mostly seen people on here saying it's a really good choice of club for him to go on loan to. 

Quite a lot of NUFC fans slagging off our league and city on their forum they need to remember they’ve been crap for a good number of years until the money men have come in the young lad will do fine with us

Their "city" is a shithole.  Its a small town concrete carbuncle reminiscent of Dundee, famous only for stag and hen weekends.

Their football team has won **** all for around 70 years.  Its a record even Hibs would be embarrassed by.