Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Barcelona vs A-League XI.  Meaningless kick around.  The lad was extremely raw and wasn’t even a starter at CCM.  He should’ve been shipped to a lower league club to give him experience at a level where he’d get minutes.  Instead Ameobi sends him to the SPL and Eredivisie.  Absolute madness 

Yeah, it had to be somewhere he would start games without question to get used to that.

Dutch 1st league, albeit in a poorer team, was too much. And the Hearts thing was totally ridiculous.

Belgian league has been the go to for Brighton's prospects. Don't understand why we didn't go that route, considering Ashworth was here, or perhaps like you said League 2 or something.

Interestingly enough I stumbled on a segment covering Karamoko Dembele who was the 16 year old wonder kid at Celtic that got some minutes at that age, but then lost his way. He since joined Brest who loaned him to Blackpool this season where he has played every game and really found his feet and been a star for them. We need a similar type move for Kuol.

I find his current situation incredibly annoying.

Edited by KaKa

cant always just blame the clubs, someimes you have to look at the player too.

whats he done to try and get himself gametime etc.

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

cant always just blame the clubs, someimes you have to look at the player too.

whats he done to try and get himself gametime etc.

Exactly, if he was half the player some fans claim he would have got games for these rotten teams

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

Exactly, if he was half the player some fans claim he would have got games for these rotten teams

Whilst I agree, maybe switch gears and send him to League 2 or Conference League and see if we can get our money back if he does well and moves up a division and is still doing something.

4 hours ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, it had to be somewhere he would start games without question to get used to that.

Dutch 1st league, albeit in a poorer team, was too much. And the Hearts thing was totally ridiculous.

Belgian league has been the go to for Brighton's prospects. Don't understand why we didn't go that route, considering Ashworth was here, or perhaps like you said League 2 or something.

Interestingly enough I stumbled on a segment covering Karamoko Dembele who was the 16 year old wonder kid at Celtic that got some minutes at that age, but then lost his way. He since joined Brest who loaned him to Blackpool this season where he has played every game and really found his feet and been a star for them. We need a similar type move for Kuol.

I find his current situation incredibly annoying.

Wasn't the Hearts thing because they had Australian players there that he knew from the international set up and thought it would help him acclimatise even if he didn't get much game time to start with?

3 hours ago, madras said:

Wasn't the Hearts thing because they had Australian players there that he knew from the international set up and thought it would help him acclimatise even if he didn't get much game time to start with?

Yes. Shola thought it would be good for him to be with other Aussies to help with the language barrier 

On paper it seemed the perfect loan after moving to the opposite side of the world. Close to Newcastle, team competing for European places, team mates with players he'd just played at the World Cup with to help settle. 

League 1 or League 2 next season? He might do an Anderson down there where it just goes perfectly and we can take another look at him the following year. Gateshead going up would be pretty handy as he could even still train with us.

4 hours ago, madras said:

Seemed a waste of time to me. Would have been more useful keeping him around the club that first season to settle in, and then loaning him out somewhere where he's a guaranteed starter.

Just seems strange to me to have a Newcastle employee here for two years who has barely seen Newcastle. Imagine that's a bizarre experience for a young kid with his background. Plus he's had dodgy stuff going on the whole time with his seemingly influential older brother being on the run from the police etc. That's got to be unsettling.

14 minutes ago, 80 said:

Just seems strange to me to have a Newcastle employee here for two years who has barely seen Newcastle. Imagine that's a bizarre experience for a young kid with his background. Plus he's had dodgy stuff going on the whole time with his seemingly influential older brother being on the run from the police etc. That's got to be unsettling.

What The Hell Wtf GIF by The Lonely Island

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Seemed a waste of time to me. Would have been more useful keeping him around the club that first season to settle in, and then loaning him out somewhere where he's a guaranteed starter.

He got more experience that half season than a lot of kids we have at a similar age. Was regular in the match day squad of a club qualifying for Europe, got to play against Rangers & Celtic and a pretty tense derby rivalry, scored at Ibrox. 

You'd have thought Volendam near the bottom of the Dutch League would have been ideal for minutes but he can't even manage that. Can't keep blaming the loaning clubs. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He got more experience that half season than a lot of kids we have at a similar age. Was regular in the match day squad of a club qualifying for Europe, got to play against Rangers & Celtic and a pretty tense derby rivalry, scored at Ibrox. 

You'd have thought Volendam near the bottom of the Dutch League would have been ideal for minutes but he can't even manage that. Can't keep blaming the loaning clubs. 

I blame whoever is in charge of this on our end tbh.

These guys should only be sent out on loan if there are clubs that are familiar with them and are confident they will play a key role for their first teams.

He is still a teenager and so it is not a given he should be sent out on loan straight away necessarily. He could have benefitted massively from being in the under 21 setup here and also training with the first team if there were no viable options.

Don't just send them out on loan unless there is far greater certainty they will play. Kuol had no experience in Europe whatsoever and so should have gone to a lower level than the Eredevise if necessary as he was just 18 still.

I think his situation is not being handled well at all.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

You're right that he has to take responsibility also, but developing kids is more of an art than a science. Going to that relatively high level might've been exactly the wrong thing for him considering he was a bench player for a middling Aussie team who everyone knew was raw as hell when it came to the bread and butter of footballing professionalism like tactical discipline. The pressure of being this world cup kid who was expected to make the difference in a game against Rangers might have been very counterproductive.

I honestly think he'd have been better off with Joey Barton down in Bristol.

Agreed. The only way to make it a science is to own the loaning club or have some other type of major influence.

Chelsea almost had it down to a science. Roman Abramovic financed Vitesse and they played the Chelsea kids. 

After a successful spell the likes of Broja and Mount got loans to good Champ sides or poor PL sides. I think that would be a good move for Minteh too. A season in the Champ - 10+ goals at 20/21 would indicate he's going to be some player. 

41 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I blame whoever is in charge of this on our end tbh.

These guys should only be sent out on loan if there are clubs that are familiar with them and are confident they will play a key role for their first teams.

He is still a teenager and so it is not a given he should be sent out on loan straight away necessarily. He could have benefitted massively from being in the under 21 setup here and also training with the first team if there were no viable options.

Don't just send them out on loan unless there is far greater certainty they will play. Kuol had no experience in Europe whatsoever and so should have gone to a lower level than the Eredevise if necessary as he was just 18 still.

I think his situation is not being handled well at all.

There’s just so much luck involved though. We sent Dane Scarlett (good player, just scored three or four in two games for England U20s or some such) to Ipswich this season because they had a young manager who used to manage our kids and needed a centre-forward. They promptly bought another one, started the season better than expected and Scarlett barely got a kick.

Alfie Devine is a lovely midfielder who we loaned to Port Vale. Forced his way into the team and looked great. Plymouth wanted him and have another loan player of ours and a manager who used to coach them both for England. We thought it would be a better test for him in a solid mid-table team. Couple of months later they’re fighting relegation and the manager’s out.

There are tons more examples, even this year. I suspect it’s the same for everyone, we just don’t hear about other clubs. It feels like Chelsea and Arsenal have a lot of successful loans, but it’s probably just that they send a billion players out so law of averages says one or two will hit pay dirt.

I really don't think this is worth analysing all that much right now. Kuol hasn't been a hit, Minteh is looking pretty sweet. That's a 50/50 hit rate on our most obvious attempts to build value in loaning youth out. Some are going to work and some aren't. Until we start failing with a large percentage of multiple players it's not nearly enough of a sample size for anyone to know if it's the player or the club's decisions at fault.

Everyone wants this lad to be getting definitive minutes but he wasn't even a regular starter at the A League club he made his name with. Yet, and maybe I'm wrong, I imagine there'd have been equal fume if this pretty hyped up youngster got dumped in League 2 when he first arrived.

I said before but I can't wait until we've got a ton of these loans going because hopefully we won't have the time or effort to overanalyse every single one.

12 minutes ago, wormy said:

I really don't think this is worth analysing all that much right now. Kuol hasn't been a hit, Minteh is looking pretty sweet. That's a 50/50 hit rate on our most obvious attempts to build value in loaning youth out. Some are going to work and some aren't. Until we start failing with a large percentage of multiple players it's not nearly enough of a sample size for anyone to know if it's the player or the club's decisions at fault.

Everyone wants this lad to be getting definitive minutes but he wasn't even a regular starter at the A League club he made his name with. Yet, and maybe I'm wrong, I imagine there'd have been equal fume if this pretty hyped up youngster got dumped in League 2 when he first arrived.

I said before but I can't wait until we've got a ton of these loans going because hopefully we won't have the time or effort to overanalyse every single one.

I can’t wait until loans and multi-team ownership are banned completely tbh :lol: Partly because it will never happen, sadly.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

I can’t wait until loans and multi-team ownership are banned completely tbh :lol: Partly because it will never happen, sadly.

Yeah that's a whole different argument and I'm totally in favour of the abuse of loans to be cracked down on.

But until then (and I assume then will be a long fucking time away) I'd rather the loans themselves go under the radar so we're not shitting our pants about the development, or lack thereof, of young players that we may never play a minute for NUFC. :lol:

Edited by wormy