Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

Not read anything yet but I think that today just highlighted where we are as a football club.

In the past Bournemouth have come here realistically thinking they would win (and did on a number of occasions), today they came simply hoping to get a draw.

We are stuck between being a very good team and one which will have days like this a struggle. The starting 11 and squad in general simply isn’t good enough to turn up and win these games when we underperform and/or have players missing.

Biggest issues today were that we still don’t know how to play with Isak and he is incompatible with any plan B without multiple subs. Personally I’d have taken Fraser off at the break for Wood and also considered replacing Willock with Longstaff to free push Bruno a little higher.

ASM on the pitch today also changes things massively as rhey were more than happy to allow us the ball in wide areas given our inept delivery and zero threat in the air.

Still no place for major concerns though, it’s just where we are at but we do need to find a win from somewhere 

Frustrating day at the office, no doubt, but as they say if you can’t win, don’t lose … oh, and preferably don’t boo either.

Imo, we’re obviously (and unsurprisingly) still carrying too many limited players in the squad, most of whom (for example, Miggy) can do fine if the overall mix of the team is right, but each of whom look shite if too many of them are on the pitch together at the same time. As far as I’m concerned, from the outset Miggy, Fraser, and Willock was never going to work well, and neither was Murphy, Longstaff, Willock, and Wood later in the game. With the likes of Maxi, Shelvey, and Anderson unavailable, however, Howe isn’t exactly spoiled for choice.

On another matter, I love the Isak signing, and remain confident that it will be a very successful one in the end. That having been said, I think that both he and we have a lot to learn to get the best out of him. I thought that some of his positioning today was at odds with his teammates, and that despite his height we need to quickly realise that he’s not that much of an aerial threat - it’s simply not his game.

Really frustrating that we look like we heavily rely on ASM and Wilson. Would have wanted the others in the team to show they are also matchwinners but our midefield, apart from Bruno are so uncreative. 

Have to say it, we do miss Shelvey. When Bruno has his off day or just getting his feet back today, and without ASM, we are toothless. And even then, ASM has his off days too. Shelvey is there to pick a pass. Yes, he will not be doing what Big Jow or what Bruno can do, but he certainly can bring creativity that others in there can't.

We should also have gone in again for Maddisson or another CM in the window. What we have, will run its course. Need to freshen it up once a while.

43 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

There was those chances in the first half, Trippier fk, Fraser just after half-time, Murphy that was knocked wide, the penalty, numerous times in behind on the right but where the final ball was missing. Not saying it was remotely swashbuckling but on another day we pinch it. Obviously it was frustrating but we still dominated. 

I'm not a huge xG fan but this shows we didn't particularly create much. Considering a large part of this will likely be the penalty

Felt like there was a lack of zip and energy right from the start

What a game for me to choose to break my 8 year hiatus. Just back now and I have to say that the match didn't feel right to me even before kick off, something just felt off. 

I don't want to go overboard, it was very flat and despite completely dominating possession we rarely looked like carving anything out.

I could single out individual poor performances - Schar, Joelinton, and Fraser were particularly bad, but the truth is that they were all either off it and/or the game plan wasn't doing them any favours. We looked slow, aimless, and without a real clue what to do to break them down. I know I'll probably get stick for this, but Willock was the only player doing anything with any zip and urgency going forward, Burn was probably the only player who didn't really do much wrong. 

The plan seemed too often to be to go through Trippier, overlap and cross, but the box was too often empty or the ball was poor. We missed ASM but tbh I'm not sure we'd have won with him considering how off it the likes of Trippier, Bruno, and Joelinton were compared to their usual standards. 

Having said all that, as poor as we were we still had the chances to win, hitting the post, the bar, and working the 'keeper all in that period at the end of the first half. 

It could have so easily been another one of those days where it was a 1-0 loss as well though, the penalty decision was extremely lucky and absolutely not a clear and obvious error by the ref who was fucking shit throughout. 

A bad day at the office and a lot of work to do on how to break teams down. 

Pope 6

Trippier 6

Schar 4.5

Burn 6.5

Targett 5

Joelinton 4.5

Bruno 5.5

Willock 5.5

Fraser 4

Isak 5.5

Almiron 4.5

Longstaff 5

Murphy 6

Edited by Kid Icarus

To be fair under Howe we play with more possession and typically work harder then the opposition.

However if you look closer at the players, we are not a squad full of natural goal scorers outside of Wilson and hopefully Isak.

So we have to hope for pens, free kicks or balls bouncing in of players knees.

Fingers crossed we get a bit of luck on injuries before the winter transfer window can kick us on.

opportunity lost big style for me

See so many people uttering this without providing any context. Opportunity for what exactly? We lost an opportunity to win the league by not spending 3 billion on new players, same as every other team in the league. It doesn't mean anything.