Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

11 minutes ago, midds said:

That goal only happened as a direct result of the handball. If that hits his gut then it would have dropped and probably been cleared, the handball kept the ball/move alive and they scored about 3.2 seconds later. Utter pigshit situation

If we're going to make decisions based upon trajectory of the ball several touches prior to the actual goal caused by a non deliberate handball compared to the hands not being there I fear we're in for a lot more VAR ruining a lot more football. We'll be seeing more VAR video replays than live football. 

Handballs need to be deliberate, offsides need to be blatant and daylight. Both as intended. Done.

10 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

They really have to do something about Var and the people implementing it. 

Scrap it and go back to still getting some decisions wrong but not waiting 5' to find it out.

Edited by Wolfcastle

10 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

If we're going to make decisions based upon trajectory of the ball several touches prior to the actual goal caused by a non deliberate handball compared to the hands not being there I fear we're in for a lot more VAR ruining a lot more football. We'll be seeing more VAR video replays than live football. 

Handballs need to be deliberate, offsides need to be blatant and daylight. Both as intended. Done.

That's fair enough tbh.

I just hate the inconsistencies and lack of clarity. If it's a defending team there then I think it's a handball and a pen? If it's the exact same incident but an attacking player handling it then it's fine - but it's the same incident. Why is it different for one shirt but not the other? The incident is the incident regardless of where and who made it, the whole thing is a complete mess and needs a root and branch overhaul. 

Then you've got the issue of the fucking idiots looking at the footage who were appalling referees a number of years ago before they put 5 clem on. 

I think a good improvement for VAR would be to have a timer on it - something like 60 seconds from the play stopping and if they can't make a clear recommendation within that timeframe, stick with the original onfield decision.

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

I think a good improvement for VAR would be to have a timer on it - something like 60 seconds from the play stopping and if they can't make a clear recommendation within that timeframe, stick with the original onfield decision.

Then you'd get them deliberately watching it over and over when it's against one of the big clubs. 'Oh is that a minute already? Damn we can't overturn it now time's up'. 

23 minutes ago, midds said:

That's fair enough tbh.

I just hate the inconsistencies and lack of clarity. If it's a defending team there then I think it's a handball and a pen? If it's the exact same incident but an attacking player handling it then it's fine - but it's the same incident. Why is it different for one shirt but not the other? The incident is the incident regardless of where and who made it, the whole thing is a complete mess and needs a root and branch overhaul. 

Then you've got the issue of the fucking idiots looking at the footage who were appalling referees a number of years ago before they put 5 clem on. 

Oh aye absolutely agree about lack of consistency and clarity, and yeah absolutely, if that was a defending team, would it be a penalty, and chances are high it'd be given or have been previously. It's all absolutely mental. They've supercharged the complexity of decision making so of course there's going to be errors and inconsistencies everywhere. 

Easiest answer is imo, though, why is everything so anal? Ask me should that handball have meant the goal was disallowed? No. If it was a defending team should it have been a penalty? No. Everything is clearer when its simple and not chasing 'consistency'. We've got in to this position bevause bad decisions were being made so now they're aiming to try and replicate those bad decisions everywhere else as much as they can? Absolutely mental.

Ive mentioned before but a good way of improving VAR a little and stopping idiotic takes from VAR is having more than 1 VAR ref and they have to agree on the decision otherwise it's the ref's to make.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Absolutely insane decision. He’s about a yard away and his arms are ‘natural’ as fuck if you’ve diving to block.

Need West Ham for my bet to come in so can’t complain too much mind.